“Mzansi's is more than a restaurant- it's a family dinner”
Review of Mzansi

Mzansi
Ranked #1 of 1 173 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: African
Description: Experience the Township of Langa at this traditional African restaurant. We cater to tourist and locals alike wishing to have a positive experience in Cape Town’s oldest township. Our kitchen is run by longtime Langa residents that have worked to put a modern twist on recipes that have been passed down through the generations. As you enjoy your locally sourced meal, a live Marimba band will entertain you with traditional African music (tipping is encouraged). Your support helps us to provide jobs and to empower our community. We kindly ask that you make a reservation/booking in advance for, we cook to order and are not a walk-in restaurant. Open for lunch and dinner, we request that you call 24 hours in advance or early in the morning. PLEASE NOTE: Our Restaurant will be closed September 19th-October 3rd, 2017 for holiday. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Reviewed 6 June 2016 via mobile

I came to Mzansi's with my family not knowing what to expect, but we all enjoyed it so much!!

I and my family are all kind of shy people, and we were the only ones there that night, so at first I was worried that it might be awkward (I mean, we weren't in just any restaurant; we were in someone else's home!). But Mama and Ace were so kind and welcoming that within a few minutes we all relaxed and enjoyed our meal (which was DELICIOUS, by the way; the spinach was my favorite!!).

The atmosphere was great as well-- I absolutely loved the band, who played both South African tunes and jazz renditions of classic rock songs. Hearing Mama's story behind the restaurant was really moving and inspiring, and afterwards Ace lead us in some fun as we were taught to play the marimba and danced along to the songs with the band members, who were also all extremely kind.

What made it all better was knowing that local residents of the township are employed by Mzansi's as well as the fact that Mama's cooking used only local produce as much as possible. It was so good to see how the community all got involved (and employed!) with and by Mzansi's!

Furthermore, don't worry about the safely of the area-- I was a little nervous before going, but our Uber driver brought us right to the door and I didn't feel unsafe for one instant during the evening! You really are in good hands going to Mzansi's! Don't let anyone talk you out of going just because it's in a township.

Oh, and if you need to cancel you booking for whatever reason, be sure to give notice plenty in advance; they cook according to how many people they're expecting, so it's a big inconvenience to them when people don't show. But please do yourself the favor and go!!

Everyone was so welcoming and we all had smiles on our faces as we left. Thank you so much to Mama, Ace, and everyone else who worked to welcome us to your home in Langa for the evening! What a blessing!

1  Thank kellyschaffer94
There are newer reviews for Mzansi

Reviewed 6 June 2016

My boyfriend and I had the time of our lives here!!! This IS NOT just a dinner experience this is just a taste of Langa Township!!! I was lucky enough to get 2 seats at Mzani's table and boy did we feel like the luckiest couple. The food, the music, the vibes, everything was certainly to die for. I must return!!!!

Reviewed 6 June 2016 via mobile

This is an incredible dining experience. Great food, lovely people, artist demonstration and live music. That all my kids enjoyed the spinach dish says a lot. We were welcomed like family and simply loved the entire evening. Our best meal out in Cape Town, dinner in the Langa Township! Uber there and back for convenience. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 5 June 2016

I was in South Africa for 8 days and I cam to Mzansi on the last day for lunch. This was the best experience I had throughout the whole trip! From the musicians, to the face paint, the owner sharing her amazing story and THE FOOD WAS PHENOMENAL!!!! I loved everything about this place, such a hidden gem!!!! Thank you for everything!!!

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

Everything about this place is amazing. From the owners life changing story, the authentic South African food, the wonderful local band, the face painting and an the artist demonstration this place is definitely a diamond in the rough. Mama and Ace welcome you at the front door and make you feel at home.