“Friday evening Italian outing”
Review of True Italic

True Italic
Ranked #136 of 1 226 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 February 2017 via mobile

For starters, the 4 of us shared a platter with Italian meats & cheeses as well as tomato bruschetta. Excellent! I had the spaghetti ragu and it was delish! My partner had the mushroom tagliatelle and my friends the sirloin & pasta. Everyone raved about their food. Great desserts too. Service excellent!

1  Thank Roenee

Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

I've never written a review before but compelled after a dismal meal here. We started with the homemade sausage on potatoes which was decent. The "famous" eggplant parmigiana was just plain bad. It tasted like the eggplant had been fried for the week on Monday and used throughout the week to save on labor. It was soggy, tasteless, sitting in an insipid red sauce with a hint of whatever cheese they use. This may have been the worst I've ever tasted. We finished with the gamberino. It comes 8 to a serving. Half of them were pasty and mealy. When I told the server, he seemed completely uninterested. He did say he'd tell the kitchen but I seriously doubt anyone would care.
There are many restaurants in Cape Town. This one is tired, overrated and I'd advise to skip it.

3  Thank Cecchixx
Reviewed 11 January 2017 via mobile

We visited True Italic using our entertainer voucher before going to a movie at the Labia and had a great meal. The food is all freshly prepared and delicious. The decor is cosy and overall we had a great meal. Love the 1 litre carafe of wine they offer! Perfect for a table of 4! Would definitely recommend this place for couples or groups.

1  Thank KimCanTravel
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Cape Town is blessed with a number of fine Italian eateries, but I think True Italic gets my vote for the best one I've been to. Fantastic ambience and food to match. Best pasta I've ever had, hands down.

1  Thank Charl T
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Only one vegan option, absolutely bland and also presented to us with Parmesan cheese as a topping, after repeatedly letting the waitron know that we are vegan.
Small portions with exorbitant prices.
If you are vegan, stay away to avoid disappointment.

1  Thank Katherine B
TrueItalic, Owner at True Italic, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2017

Dear Katherine,

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that you experienced at True Italic on the night.
As a restaurant we surely do not always have Vegan options on our menu.However guests can request in advance so that we prepare their respective portions eg Gnocchi with Polenta

However if its on a short notice,like in your case,we prepare Vegan Tagliatelle with Napoletana and Basil.

On the issue of portions I am of the opinion that our prices and portions are fair.

I would like you to return to True Italic for a nice Vegan Dish.

Warm Regards,