“Really unimpressed”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Only one vegan option, absolutely bland and also presented to us with Parmesan cheese as a topping, after repeatedly letting the waitron know that we are vegan.
Small portions with exorbitant prices.
If you are vegan, stay away to avoid disappointment.

1  Thank Katherine B
TrueItalic, Owner at True Italic, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2017

Dear Katherine,

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience that you experienced at True Italic on the night.
As a restaurant we surely do not always have Vegan options on our menu.However guests can request in advance so that we prepare their respective portions eg Gnocchi with Polenta

However if its on a short notice,like in your case,we prepare Vegan Tagliatelle with Napoletana and Basil.

On the issue of portions I am of the opinion that our prices and portions are fair.

I would like you to return to True Italic for a nice Vegan Dish.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

Original and quaint but perhaps a bit too relaxed. Service was efficient and friendly, but I could have wished that the 'gnocchi with prawns' had actual prawns and not shrimp, and that the portions (mains) were a bit more generous, especially since mine was R 160.

Nice atmosphere with original art on the walls, but we were left wanting. 4 people, starters and mains, beers/wine and coffees/tea; R 1300 excl tip.

1  Thank RasmusKJensen
Reviewed 2 January 2017

We had an incredible meal here on Christmas eve. Excellent lambrusco, delicious springbok carpaccio, and a cheese and meat platter served on what looked like part of an old wooden ship - fantastic. The affogato was heaven. The staff were wonderful and it was great to see the chef in action throughout the night. Can't wait to be back.

Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Well, you can't grumble about the ambience or the 'Shabby Chic" look of this restaurant.
We were able to get a table in the basement.
It was very hot down there, the service was attentive and professional, with help provided if you required additional information about the menu.
I chose the tuna carpaccio and other members of my family chose the springbok.
Generous size, appetisingly presented dishes arrived.
I must admit the tuna carpaccio was ok, but I felt that too much olive oil dressing had been applied to the dish..... it was swimming in it.
Shame,because it lost some its delicate flavour.
Couldn't grumble about the Springbok carpaccio though, it was delicious.
We chose the Clam linguine, flavourful but I got a bit fed up with crunching clam shells....
Personally, I think the dish could do with some more colour...
Perhaps red peppers?
Anyway, a nice evening.

Reviewed 8 December 2016

This long, thin restaurant with bare brick walls and exposed beams, is pretty trendy, down the bottom of Bree Street. There is something trattoria-ish about the vibe but it is mostly ersatz, in a Cape Town fashionista style.

Meanwhile, the food is pretty good... Recommended is the starter of assorted meats and cheeses served on a very long black 'boat' - for the table. The prosciutto is not San Daniela and the Mortadella could be improved upon, but the onion jam and the bits of veggies (for decoration) were delicious. I would have appreciated a second salami as the one on the boat was a tad ordinary.

There are a variety of pastas and secondi and all were presented without seasoning, there being a small pile of crystalline salt on the individual plate/board. So you do your own seasoning. The olive oil is excellent.

Our table had a pasta dish and meat dishes (lamb chops and beef strips) nicely served on boards. Nothing too memorable but tasty and plentiful. No sides, just a bunch of green salad on the board. No carbs, so Banting heaven for the non vegetarians.

Wine list is well priced with many Italian offerings at good prices.

Worth one more visit, I think...