“Fun and enriching township visit by bicycle! Must do!”
Review of AWOL Tours

US$57,78*
Private Tour: Bicycle Township Tour in Cape Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: AWOL Tours offers exclusive hiking and biking adventures, with opportunities for genuine cultural exchange and natural encounters, personalised to ensure your extraordinary travel experience. AWOL Tours is a leading outdoor travel specialist for hiking and bicycle tourism in Cape Town, South Africa. We offer you opportunities for breathtaking adventure and authentic interactions. Our experienced AWOL team balance expert trip planning with eco-friendly activities, creating thrilling, memorable travel experiences for you. We've been at the forefront of responsible tourism since 2002, with repeated awards and happy client reviews to prove our success.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / lift, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 8 September 2014

My husband and I did the bicycle tour through Masiphumelele with Mark and Zwai – so just the four of us. It was awesome and easily one of the most fun and enriching things we did in Cape Town! This is my second time in the city and I had looked at several township tours and am so glad I did this one. It’s one thing to visit the winelands, table mountain, do safari, etc but of course some of the most memorable parts of any trip is also meeting people, learning about life there and feeling like a local and not just a tourist (even though we are). I liked the company’s philosophy (responsible tourism) and although it wasn’t exactly inexpensive, you can be assured the money is partly going to the people who live here and helping grow jobs. I loved being able to see the town through different eyes and on a bike – you cover more ground and it was fun to ride a bike like I was a kid again (hadn’t done it in years) and learning about how the community is recycling the donated bikes. AWOL had tailored the trip as I had asked to have braai at Nongoloza’s first, and you can sort of make quick stops on the ride if something catches your eye and you want to take a picture (respectfully asking of course first). Although I feel like we ran out of time and I had wanted to see so much more! There’s just so much to see and learn.
I had heard of Langa, Gugulethu, Khayelitsha before but I’m glad I went to Masiphumelele – which is a bit of a drive south of the city, where you get to see some nice views and also the Flats, etc . As Zwai shows you around and talks about his community, you leave with a feeling that’s hard to describe – Masiphumelele is just such a special place with wonderful people. I wanted to stay there longer! Mark was also a great companion and we learned a lot from him as well. And as it was our honeymoon the company even surprised us with a gift of chocolates! So sweet. Highly, highly recommend doing this when you are in Cape Town! I would also recommend maybe researching up about the township and maybe even watching a documentary like “Dear Mandela” (although it takes place in Durban) to deepen your understanding about township issues and you will get more out of your visit!

GOAWOL, General Manager at AWOL Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Dear mdl261 , Thank you so much for such a lovely review. We are so pleased that you and your husband had a wonderful Township tour experience with AWOL Guides Mark and Zwai. Thank you for supporting this community (80% of tour proceeds go back into this community). We are so pleased that you enjoyed the Benbikes.org.za bikes and found being on street level a way of experiencing a more authentic and valuable cultural exchange with members of Cape Town's Masiphumelele community. Sharing the braai at Nongoloza’s is a great way to get into the vibe of this tour. Enjoy the chocolates while remembering your Cape Town stay, we hope we can welcome you and husband back on your wedding anniversary in the future. Kind regards, Helen AWOL Tours.

There are newer reviews for AWOL Tours

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My daughter and I enjoyed a fabulous hike up Table Mountain with Mark Sickle. We chose the longer route and were so pleased as it was both challenging and beautiful--exactly what we hoped for. The views were tremendous and we felt a great sense of accomplishment when we reached the top! Mark was very knowledgeable and fun to spend the day with. He set a good pace and encouraged us along the way. Once we reached the top he gave us a wonderful overview of the city. We would highly AWOL Tours and especially Mark. This was the highlight of our time in Cape Town and he made sure that it met all of our expectations even serving as photographer to help us document the day!

GOAWOL, Owner at AWOL Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time out to compliment Mark, our AWOL hiking guide. We are so pleased to hear that your guided hike up Table Mountain was a highlight of your time in Cape Town. I am so pleased that our flexibility in routes on our private hiking tours worked out for you and that you got to choose a longer and more scenic route. We look forward to hearing from you if you decide to travel back to Cape Town in future.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was so impressed with the Sunday morning City Cycle Tour my daughter and I did with Dave from AWOL Tours. As a Cape Tonian I discovered so many aspects of this beautiful city that I had not been aware of and would only be aware of when doing a cycle tour with an expert such as Dave. On a beautiful day as it was last Sunday, 10 August 2014 I could not think of a better way to spend a Sunday morning than riding around the city at a gentle pace learning more about the history of the Mother City and and all the wonderful amenities available to residents and visitors alike. I highly recommend this tour and look forward to doing the township tour in the near future.
Lindsay Quail

GOAWOL, General Manager at AWOL Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Lindsay Q
Thank you for your very thoughtful review of your Cape Town cycling tour with AWOL Tours guide Dave. We are so pleased that our Cape Town locals enjoy this experience as much as international guests. We look forward to receiving more adventurous locals and visitors and sharing Cape Town with everyone. Kind regards, Helen AWOL Tours. p.s Hopefully you can join us soon for a Table Mountain guided hike.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

It was a great experience to visit this part of Cape Town. We (husband, three daughters 15 - 23 years old and me fra Denmark) spend three and a half our together with our friendly and very informative guide Zwai in Masiphumelele - a township in the southern part of Cape Town. He told us about the daily life, history and future for this community. We visited a childcare-house, some workprojects, a small restaurant, a local healer and different part of the area. AWOl tours gave us the opportunity to have these unique experieces in a sustainable way working together with the local community, making jobs, use biking and donate money for local childcare. We were enriched by a lot of sensory input - music, language, shout, moving, taste, smell and friendly people.
It was easy to book on the internet and we get quick answer by email when we had some questions.
Thank you and our best recommandations.

Dear Anne D, thank you very much for the much appreciated review. AWOL Tours is so pleased that you had a great Masiphumelele, Cape Town bicycle township tour and found the experience family friendly. AWOL Guide Zwai is very involved in this vibrant community. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cape Town. Kind regards, Helen AWOL Tours.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My husband and I are regular cyclists and whenever we visit a new city we love to start off with a bike tour. It’s a great way to see a wide area of the city in a short amount of time, and it also provides an opportunity to chat with the guide in a relaxed setting. We loved our visit to Cape Town and lots about the bike tour, but the lack of biking infrastructure did take away from our experience (e.g., a couple close calls with cars, not a lot of bike lanes). That said, our guide was terrific — great personal attention, advice and information about the city.

Dear Torontoalin, thank you for your review on AWOL Tour's Cape Town city cycle tour. We are pleased that you enjoyed the guide and the overall experience. AWOL Tours presented your above review at the Provincial Cycle Tourism Framework Stakeholder Engagement and we are actively involved with the future of cycling in Cape Town and the development of cycling infrastructure, we hope that when you return you will enjoy a more relaxing cycling experience. Kind regards, Helen AWOL Tours.