“Great Coffee & Lunch Spot”
Review of Loading Bay Cafe

Loading Bay Cafe
Ranked #228 of 1 207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 31 July 2016

Great for coffee and a quick tasty lunch. Love the decor and styling and the clothing store attached.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

Living in Cape Town we are spoilt with numerous places for a casual coffee and chat and I have been at the Loading Bay a few times because of its central location and overall nice and stylish, yet not overdone look & feel. This time we went there for breakfast. We have never paid much attention to the menu before and chose the poached egg on sour dough bread and rocket with salmon trout for R 80. I was a bit surprised at the price tag, seeing that it's "only" salmon trout and not Norwegian salmon but other menu items were equally pricey so I assumed it's just an expensive menu. What arrived was a rather sad looking poached egg (only one!) and a fairly small slice of bread covered with rocket and two slices of salmon trout. In fairness, the menu said indeed "one poached egg" but seeing that in about 90% of all breakfast places in Cape Town, whatever egg variety you order usually comes with two eggs, I didn't pick that up when ordering. The bread was also rather small, one could not see it below the rocket. The breakfast wasn't bad but it was tiny and way to expensive. All in all underwhelming. When you get the bill, note that they already include 10% tip! Whilst this is common practice in restaurants with tables of 6 people or more, it's rather unusual for small cafes. We asked the waitress about it and she explained that the majority of their guests are apparently foreigners who are not aware that in South Africa you should usually tip 10%. Perhaps the number of foreign patrons are also the reason for the pricey menu, who knows. We might be back for coffee but surely not for breakfast.

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

I'm in Cape Town as a tourist. Lonely Planet listed Loading Bay so I gave it a try. I ordered the crispy spinach and kale salad. It was delicious. I also had a coffee, a macchiato. It was delicious. The staff was very friendly too. As others have noted, the place has a good vibe. I'll be back to try other choices.

Reviewed 20 June 2016 via mobile

Visited this beautifully decorated café on Father's Day. The food (a Gorgonzola bacon burger with truffle fries) was very tasty. The staff were friendly however they weren't too accommodating.

Reviewed 8 June 2016 via mobile

Best restaurant experience I had all year. The service is impeccable, waiters made sure everything was spot on. The manager/owner came over to the table multiple times to check if everything was okay, gave us a sample of dish we had enquired about.

I had a croissant and it was fresh from the oven, it was buttery and perfect. The toasted sandwich I had was probably the best toasted cheese I've ever had (other than my own). The vibe is great. Everything was just perfect.