“BIRTHDAY TEA at Mount Nelson”
Review of Afternoon Tea

Afternoon Tea
Ranked #58 of 1 288 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$20 - US$100
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Enjoy delicate finger sandwiches filled with rare roast beef and rocket, smoked salmon, egg mayonnaise or cucumber. Follow with a delectable dark chocolate cake, lemon meringue and freshly baked scones with clotted cream and preserves. Adding a special local flavour is a typical South African milk tart, called "melktert" in Afrikaans. During the winter months you can also enjoy a selection of warm treats. Expect mushroom empanadas, tomato tarts and chicken pies. The signature Mount Nelson Tea has been expertly blended from six teas: Darjeeling, Kenya, Assam, Keemun, Yunnan, Ceylon, and rose petals from our garden. In addition, we offer an array of leaf and flowering teas. Morning, Afternoon and Evening Tea is served in the lounge, on the terrace or around the garden fountain.
Reviewed 15 August 2015

What a lovely treat it was to have morning tea at the Nellie again.Previous visits were for afternoon tea which is such a lavish occasion, we welcomed the somewhat quieter morning tea and still enjoyed every minute.
Initial thoughts are that there is just such a "sample" of what is on offer compared to the afternoon tea, BUT, try and have 3 cups of tea, several savoury treats including mini quiche, vegetarian wraps, salmon, egg and cucumber sandwiches, the most divine scones jam and cream, plus eclairs, cheesecake carrot cake and one or two others I simply could not find space for. Then to top it all our lovely waitress brought me a plate of tasty treats , sweets and fudge she had specially selected and written happy birthday on, how lovely! I wish I could have taken the plate home with me as is, instead of having to put it in a take away box, this just cheapened the gift so much. It would be wonderful if they made up a special little carrier bag/box with a birthday treat already inside so that you could savour it just like that and make the birthday last at least another day or so.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

If you are in Cape Town, this is a must thing to do. Okay, prices start at around R450.00 per person, but the service is simply amazing and will make you feel very special.

Reviewed 12 August 2015

Expensive...lots of "tea Stuff" to eat but nothing was so delicious it was memorable!!!
Overall just disappointing!

Reviewed 12 August 2015

The last day in Capetown.
The day before on the Red bus I heard : to your left the Mount Nelson Hotel - they serve high teas.
I remember my first Hight tea in a fancy hotel in London. In Scotland it turned out to be a normal evening meal.
In the Hague it is very expensive, and with the euro being high, I decided to splurge and take two co-workers in the townships who have been working very hard, out for an affordable High Tea experience. It turned out to be their first, they had no idea!

On entering the hotel reception you are in a different world: beautiful fresh flowers, smiling ladies everywhere. Beautiful shops with diamonds, above our budget, alas.

A few steps further: A tabel full of first quality food. a pianist playing for half an hour or so?
We chose not to sit in the beautiful salon, but on the terrace.

There we had a bit of a wait, then a nice ober showed us the extended tea chart. First he tried to get us into extending the hight tea with wine or champaign, and found it hard to believe we did not want that... He did not understand when I said: but you pay extra for that, right? No no, see the carte...

Well, we settled on several kinds of tea - he would accompany us al the way. We felt very blessed.
Unfortunately he did not live op to that promise, and were served scones ( with whipped cream instead of clotted)
Without tea, even after asking the lovely tea girl behind her many many kinds of tea. However, when I talked to the manager, we were immediately helped and enjoyed a total of 6 pots of different these, all exquisite!!

It was only a slight minor point. We enjoyed a lovely afternoon, on the sunny terrace (till 5) and also the courting and fighting geese...

I will certainly come back, if not for the view then for the savory things served at the table... The vegetarian variation for my vegetarian italian friend took a little while, but when it arrived it had everything double. It also was wonderful!!

So all in all: highly reconvened!!

Reviewed 10 August 2015

This hotel has one of the most impressive gardens we have ever seen. Our morning coffee in the garden at the forged iron table and armchairs was fantastic. Highly recommended.

1  Thank nkohen