“Oh-so chic and private”
Review of Kensington Place

Kensington Place
Ranked #19 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 14 August 2017

If it's a very discreet boutique hotel you're after in a stunning central location right under Table Mountain, plus chic interiors and very good service, you can’t go wrong with Kensington Place in Kensington Crescent, Higgovale, Cape Town. A recent one night winter stay was sheer pleasure from start to finish (despite the fact that it took a very long time for anyone to answer the door bell!)
The interiors reflect both a contemporary style and very good taste and we were very pleased with our extremely comfortable private suite which was tucked away at the end of the building with a small terrace overlooking the beautiful leafy garden. We loved the big luxurious bed, especially as we were travel-weary, having just returned from a European holiday. The big bathroom, however, had one major problem which was the walk-in shower which leaked over the whole bathroom floor, a lawsuit waiting to happen for anyone unlucky enough to slip!
Meals are available on demand throughout the day and all the staff we encountered were very pleasant indeed, especially the following morning in the pretty dining area overlooking the garden with its incomparable views of Table Mountain where we ordered breakfast. This was quickly and efficiently served and quite delicious with great attention to presentation. We were very sorry that we could only spend one night here, but would not hesitate to recommend it to visitors seeking both luxury and location in a small boutique hotel offering such a good general standard.

Room Tip: Far end of hotel in the garden
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KatinkaCapeTown

Reviewed 9 August 2017

We stayed in various lovely hotels in South Africa over 2 weeks and this was our favourite. Service was off the scale good. Close to Kloof Street and table mountain/ Lions Head and away from the hustle / hassle of V & A waterfront. Beautifully turned out, and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jojito47
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Lovely boutique hotel with warm staff. I generally don't write reviews but I was thinking of my trip to Cape Town in May and thought I'd write one for this hotel due to the great experience. Rooms are comfortable and roomy and service was impeccable. Breakfast and dinner room service were great, as were the toiletries! Would definitely stay again the next time I find myself in Cape Town.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2017

We had two rooms during our stay so this reviews includes both rooms in two separate areas of the hotel. Pickup from CPT airport was smooth and we arrived at the hotel in less than 30 minutes. The hotel is located a bit south and west of downtown and although shops and restaurants are within a long walking distance, if being close to things are a priority I would consider another place. If you have the Uber app however, getting around is cheap and easy!

The hotel is gated and secured. We were greeted at reception with a welcome drink. My kids were assigned a room on the 3rd floor of the main building but my room was out by the pool. My kids' room was a regular well-appointed room with bathroom and balcony with great views of downtown. Cable mountain is behind the hotel.

My room was a larger suite with a comfortable bed, however it had some strange design attributes. First, it had 3 tall steps to get up to the bathroom. This was terribly inconvenient, and not to mention dangerous in the middle of the night! Second, the shower has no door and they designed it so that the water drains out of the shower toward a tub that is on the other side of the room! To make matters worse, that drain must've been clogged so every time I showered, the entire bathroom flooded! Third, the bathroom door swung toward the toilet so, after climbing three steps, pushing the door open, you have to swing the door back to get to the toilet.

As for service, everything was satisfactory, but twice housekeeping entered my kids' room without knocking first. And I did not have shampoo in my room for the first 2 days of our stay. I did greatly appreciate that the hotel had made dinner reservations for us for our entire stay. We took advantage of two of their recommendations and our meals were excellent! Also, the hotel breakfast was very good especially if you like eggs benedicts.

Overall we had a very good stay, but the hotel fell a bit short of a perfect rating for this well-traveled family!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank terpnut
Reviewed 5 July 2017

I recently stayed at Kensington Place (mid to late June), and like the place so much returned to stay for a few nights before my flight back to the UK.

It’s a relatively small property, with perhaps 8-10 rooms, and split over three floors. I stayed initially in a room on the first floor, and then on return in the superior room up on the 2nd. The rooms are very well made up, comfortable, and at least the ones I stayed in had balconies - the superior room two, one facing in to the garden, and another facing up toward table mountain.

Is it worth the extra for the superior room? Well, that depends on what kind of traveller you are I guess! After a fairly long drive around the Garden Route having a larger space with separate seating areas was an added bonus. If I were just there a few nights to experience Cape Town I’d probably stay with the normal rooms.

So, opinions. Loved it - by far my favourite place in my whole trip. Very friendly staff (Hope in particularly couldn’t do enough to sort anything needed, such as printing tickets, booking dinner etc.) so it was a very welcoming environment.

Location wise it’s about 90-100Rand in an UberXL down to the V&A Waterfront, and a bit less than that to get up to the Table Mountain cable car. Very tucked away - you wouldn’t know it was there, and certainly not realise it was a hotel!

Thorough enjoyed my stay here, highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends