Kensington Place
  • Restaurant
US$221
US$214
  • Pool
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$204
Protea Hotel Cape Town Victoria Junction(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$164
  • Pool
Hilton Cape Town City Centre(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$132
Hilton
  • Pool
Cloud 9 Boutique Hotel & Spa(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$87
  • Breakfast included
Cape Diamond Hotel(Cape Town Central)
US$146
US$64
  • Restaurant
ONOMO Hotel Cape Town - Inn On The Square(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$63
  • Pool
Protea Hotel Cape Town Sea Point(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$120
Protea Hotels
  • Pool
One&Only Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
US$779
US$742
  • Breakfast included
All reviewskloof streetboutique hotelour honeymoontable mountaindinner reservationslovely boutiquesmall hotelcomplimentary bottle of wineprior to our arrivalfour nightsrestaurant bookingsbreakfast was amazingsuperior rooma short cab ridetop floorcamps baylounge area
Reviewed 9 August 2017

We stayed in various lovely hotels in South Africa over 2 weeks and this was our favourite. Service was off the scale good. Close to Kloof Street and table mountain/ Lions Head and away from the hustle / hassle of V & A waterfront. Beautifully turned out, and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jojito47
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Lovely boutique hotel with warm staff. I generally don't write reviews but I was thinking of my trip to Cape Town in May and thought I'd write one for this hotel due to the great experience. Rooms are comfortable and roomy and service was impeccable. Breakfast and dinner room service were great, as were the toiletries! Would definitely stay again the next time I find myself in Cape Town.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2017

We had two rooms during our stay so this reviews includes both rooms in two separate areas of the hotel. Pickup from CPT airport was smooth and we arrived at the hotel in less than 30 minutes. The hotel is located a bit south and west of downtown and although shops and restaurants are within a long walking distance, if being close to things are a priority I would consider another place. If you have the Uber app however, getting around is cheap and easy!

The hotel is gated and secured. We were greeted at reception with a welcome drink. My kids were assigned a room on the 3rd floor of the main building but my room was out by the pool. My kids' room was a regular well-appointed room with bathroom and balcony with great views of downtown. Cable mountain is behind the hotel.

My room was a larger suite with a comfortable bed, however it had some strange design attributes. First, it had 3 tall steps to get up to the bathroom. This was terribly inconvenient, and not to mention dangerous in the middle of the night! Second, the shower has no door and they designed it so that the water drains out of the shower toward a tub that is on the other side of the room! To make matters worse, that drain must've been clogged so every time I showered, the entire bathroom flooded! Third, the bathroom door swung toward the toilet so, after climbing three steps, pushing the door open, you have to swing the door back to get to the toilet.

As for service, everything was satisfactory, but twice housekeeping entered my kids' room without knocking first. And I did not have shampoo in my room for the first 2 days of our stay. I did greatly appreciate that the hotel had made dinner reservations for us for our entire stay. We took advantage of two of their recommendations and our meals were excellent! Also, the hotel breakfast was very good especially if you like eggs benedicts.

Overall we had a very good stay, but the hotel fell a bit short of a perfect rating for this well-traveled family!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank terpnut
Reviewed 5 July 2017

I recently stayed at Kensington Place (mid to late June), and like the place so much returned to stay for a few nights before my flight back to the UK.

It’s a relatively small property, with perhaps 8-10 rooms, and split over three floors. I stayed initially in a room on the first floor, and then on return in the superior room up on the 2nd. The rooms are very well made up, comfortable, and at least the ones I stayed in had balconies - the superior room two, one facing in to the garden, and another facing up toward table mountain.

Is it worth the extra for the superior room? Well, that depends on what kind of traveller you are I guess! After a fairly long drive around the Garden Route having a larger space with separate seating areas was an added bonus. If I were just there a few nights to experience Cape Town I’d probably stay with the normal rooms.

So, opinions. Loved it - by far my favourite place in my whole trip. Very friendly staff (Hope in particularly couldn’t do enough to sort anything needed, such as printing tickets, booking dinner etc.) so it was a very welcoming environment.

Location wise it’s about 90-100Rand in an UberXL down to the V&A Waterfront, and a bit less than that to get up to the Table Mountain cable car. Very tucked away - you wouldn’t know it was there, and certainly not realise it was a hotel!

Thorough enjoyed my stay here, highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank MacRS4
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Kensington Place is a boutique hotel, seemingly a house converted into a hotel. It is located in the residential area of Capetown. It is guarded.

The room is spacious with cozy bedings. The toilet and bath are clean and located in the same room/area. How wonderful to take a hot dip in the tub but, Capetown is experiencing water shortage. It only rained during the time we landed when there was a storm which was a much needed rainfall. We skipped the bath tub and just took quick warm showers.

KP has a pool, and lovely garden with some flowers, orange and lemon trees. Its receiving area has a fireplace, and a good venue to have wine, coffee, and do some reading. The artworks are lovely too.

Breakfast is lovely. We usually had granola with fruits and youghurt, and an omelette paired with toasted bread taken with very good and strong coffee. There are other breakfast mains to choose from. For instance for the Eggs Benedict, it can be requested with either salmon or bacon.

There was an evening wherein it was raining hard and we could not go out. Hence, we ate in the hotel. It took a long time for them to prepare the food and it wasn’t great. Pasta was not tasty and not al dente. Burger was bland.

The receiving area of KP greets you with a beautiful flower arrangement. It also has a fireplace to keep you warm while enjoying either your coffee or wine.

There is no elevator in KP. The rooms area accessible via stairs. If my memory serves me right, there are only three rooms in our floor. There are only 8 rooms in KP. A companion of ours stayed in another room which was separate from KP. To go there, one must get out of the gate of KP and turn to the corner but the room is not just room. It looks like a flat. It is huge. The room has beach towels, and yoga mat. I was able to squeeze in some minutes of yoga for some stretches to prepare Cape Town hikes.

Staff is courteous.

Best to go out and explore the many restaurants near KP. Uber works in Capetown to transport you to wherever.

KP is so near the Tablemountain. 30 minutes away via car, you can be at the ocean, or at the winery, or at the mountains.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple