“Perfect location”

Victoria & Alfred Hotel
Ranked #25 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 20 March 2015

We booked two weeks at this hotel for our first visit to Cape Town, and couldn't have asked for a better location or better hotel. Our very large room was on the first floor overlooking the harbour and Table Mountain - spectacular view! No balcony, but large double doors open with a railing on outside. Fresh breeze, sound of seagulls mingled with chimes of yacht rigging swaying and occasional ships horns. Seals playing in water. Quiet at night. The kingsize bed was comfortable, 4 beautifully upholstered armchairs and large coffee table. Beautiful bathroom with twin sinks, large bath and amazing walk in shower. Separate toilet with basin. Water always hot. Tea & coffee with kettle provided.(plus biscuits). Could have done with a few more milk sachets perhaps, and bar fridge in room not quite cold enough, but neither an issue for us. Was impressed with plug panel above dressing table - no foreign adaptor needed, as it had British and European sockets for charging phones, etc.Good hairdryer. Bottles of water and sweets put in room every night when beds turned down. Cleanliness good. Lobby small, but adequate and efficient. Service excellent and very friendly throughout the hotel. Free Wi-Fi in hotel and sister hotels opposite. Small swimming pool over the road in Dock House hotel - beautiful lawned garden and poolside sunbeds, towels, drinks, etc. Free parking for guests, but didn't need a car for the most part, as so central to many attractions and public transport.

Room Tip: Mountain view room on first floor recommended. We had room 105.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1 616)

593 - 597 of 1 616 reviews

Reviewed 19 March 2015

Stayed here for 1 week in a room on the top floor. The loft rooms have an angled roof which was a problem for my 6'4in tall husband. First impressions were good but on closer inspection, the room looked tired with cracked tiles on the floor. Bed was large and comfy.
The hotel is right in the waterfront, steps away from all the bars and restaurants. We were able to park a car for free right outside the hotel. There is not a pool or spa attached to the hotel but you can use the small pool and spa across the road. We had a good deal on our room so I could not complain. However, if we had paid the full price, It would not have been good value. Staff were all very helpful and attentive.

Room Tip: If you are tall, do not stay on the top floor.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whufan2015
Reviewed 16 March 2015

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jacek R
Reviewed 14 March 2015

This was my third visit to the Mother City and my first stay at the Victoria and Alfred... but it definitely won't be my last!
I'm lucky enough to have done a great deal of travelling and to have stayed in some very highly rated hotels so I was a little concerned by some of the negative reviews I had read here on Tripadvisor. I needn't have worried. From the moment I arrived until the moment I left, I had nothing but good experiences.
I had arranged airport transfers through the hotel's travel desk - not the cheapest option, admittedly, but it made for a very easy journey and I was very impressed by the professionalism and punctuality of the service. The driver was there waiting for me in the Arrivals hall and he could not have been more pleasant and helpful.
The journey to the hotel took less than half an hour. As I was checking in (and incidentally, being served with a very welcome glass of iced tea), I was warmly greeted by Luci who proved to be an absolute star. It was several hours before the official check in time but Luci said that my room was being prepared and that I would be very welcome to have a coffee whilst I waited.
She showed me to the restaurant which must have one of the most spectacular views in Cape Town. I had no sooner begun sipping a very delicious cappuccino than Luci was back to tell me that my room was ready whenever I wished.
She showed me to my room - a deluxe double overlooking the piazza. The first thing that struck me was that everything was clean and fresh. The bathroom was spotless and had both bath and shower, twin basins and a separate lavatory. The bathrobes were cosy, the toiletries were good quality and the shower worked very well; for once, I was able to work out how to use it without scalding or soaking myself!
The bedroom was large and roomy with every facility you could want. And although I didn't have the view of Table Mountain, I enjoyed watching the world go by on the piazza.
Breakfast was a sumptuous affair with every possible component of a continental breakfast on offer as well as champagne, oysters or a hot breakfast cooked to order. The fruit was delicious and everything was beautifully prepared and presented. Yes, some of the waiting staff were a little bit inattentive but I was on holiday, so it wasn't really a problem to have to wait a few minutes for a second cup of coffee.
There is so much to do and see in Cape Town and the V and A hotel is a perfect location for exploring all that the Waterfront has to offer. And if you want to go further afield, there are taxis right on the doorstep. Luci showed me the pool and sun terrace at the Dock House across the road and I spent a very pleasant afternoon there on my last day.
I shall be going back to Cape Town and without doubt, the V and A will be the place I shall choose to stay. I don't think I could find anywhere better.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank FrankieC123
Reviewed 14 March 2015

Just stayed 5 nights at this hotel and could not fault it the rooms are large and very comfortable the view from our room looking at Table Mountain was spectacular the staff could not be more helpful and it is situated right on the harbour in the centre of the action , breakfasts were exceptional with oysters and champagne the norm could not fault it . If we come back to Cape Town this will be our hotel of choice

Room Tip: Harbour view looking out to Table Top mountain are excellent
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends