All reviews loader street village cafe small living room management company staff at reception bedroom apartment self catering breakfast included quiet location felt very safe stay in cape town enjoyed my stay charles accommodation waterfront dishwasher proximity
Reviewed 28 May 2017

I ended up in this property as all regular business hotels were fully occupied due to several conferences happening in town.
The area is very nice, with some popular breakfast bars, nice small terraces for lunch or dinner.
You stay in small houses, directly on the street, and it can be very noisy during the night, specially as the windows are single glass only and not even close properly.
All in all, i enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
DeWaterkantVillage, Manager at De Waterkant Village, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Dear Bart V

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I will personally ensure that we check all of our windows to ensure they shut properly. We hope to welcome you back, if you liaise with me directly when booking, I will ensure you stay in a room that is not effected by the social noise in the area. My email address is hostmanager@dewaterkant.com, I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

In no.163 apartment. Not very nice at all. The bathroom has obviously been very damp as wall all bubbled but not been repaired just painted over.
Bedding didn't smell clean. Not much in the way of basics at all.
Very steep steps up to the property and the security door was extremely difficult to open.
No air conditioning
Wouldn't want to go back to this unit.

Room Tip: Not to accept no.163
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan S

Dear Susan S

We are sorry to read about your experience and can assure you the matter is viewed seriously and has been escalated to the facilities and housekeeping manager. Immediate action has been taken and training has been scheduled where relevant. These are not the standards we strive to offer our guests and we are truly sorry that this was the case during your stay.

We have processed your refund accordingly. Should you have any queries regarding this, please contact me to discuss.

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

Just disembarked from MSC Sinfonia and arrived exhausted at reception 137 Waterkant Street. Being a pensioner and after major surgery 6 weeks ago, made to walk with my friends and family half a kilometre up the road, with all our luggage to our accommodation. No staff assistance available. Will never be visiting this place soon

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends

Dear 764barryd

We are sorry to read about your experience. Should we have been made aware prior to your arrival, we would have ensured that there was help made available to avoid discomforting you.

We hope that your surgery recovery is going well and that your enjoyed the remainder of your stay in Cape Town.

Reviewed 20 April 2017 via mobile

Warning just because your safe has your combination set up , is in a locked bedroom and the area is gated it doesn't mean it is SAFE!
We had money stolen from a house in Waterkant Village in just these circumstances.
On checking TripAdvisor we were the third victim in just over 12 months
My suggestion to keep yourself safe is .
1. Don't use bedroom safes
2. Take as little cash as possible
3. Use bank cards we got really good rates for cash and good exchange rates with low charges paying for meals etc.
What made our experience worse is the management never contacted us which showed a total lack of concern.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Rodders83

We take any accusations of theft extremely seriously and I would appreciate if you could email me with details on the incident so that I can deal with it accordingly. My email is hostmanager@dewaterkant.com.

Kind regards
Host manager

Reviewed 28 March 2017

As with many multi-apartment hotel groups, some of their units for rent are shown on websites, like Hotels.com, and some are not. We rented unit Number 165 as part of De Waterkant Village Hotel offering, and its clear this unit was not shown via pictures when we booked on Hotels.com. The cost for the unit was low at $85 per night, and since we booked at last moment and we had a limited daily per diem for work conference, we thought this would be a good option considering its in De Waterkant, where most places are renovated and good quality units.

This unit was unfortunately not of an acceptable standard. Besides a portion of the kitchen which was renovated, the rest of the unit was not, and consisted of old furniture and basic decor and appliances. The unit was not clean either. Outside courtyard: there was only 1 working chair (the other was broken) and an ashtray full of cigarettes when we arrived. The rest of the courtyard had rubble and was not clean. Bathroom was basic - no place for your toiletries, and the shower-door was broken. There was clearly rubbish from a previous tenant which was also seen inside the fridge (a whole tray of bread crumbs left there for us).

We also had a neighborhood cat come inside and was extremely friendly until he discovered a mouse in our room (we didnt know he was there).. the literal 'cat and mouse' chase through the kitchen overturned glassware and cutlery To prevent blood and guts spewed on the floor, we chased the cat out to give the mouse a second chance in life. We then - over a period of 2 days - tried to coerce it out the window. He eventually did after we found him twice on the curtains above our bed while we were sleeping. Nevertheless, having a mouse inside the unit is not the hotel's fault by any means, but the mouse poo found all over the unit - was. The unit needs a deep clean in our opinion: and in fact, the curtains were the dirtiest we have ever seen: completely stained and revolting. We don't think they have been laundered in more than a decade. Absolutely unacceptable

Total letdown. Unacceptable low level of cleanliness. I want to call this a back-packers unit, but i don't want to insult back-packers.

Room Tip: Don't take Unit 165 unless you want to experience the 80s. With revolting curtains
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business

Dear Stuart D

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I can assure you these are not the standards we strive towards and we are sorry that you did not experience our usual level of standards. Should you have brought this to my attention during your stay, I would have immediately upgraded you room.

Housekeeping has received extensive training and pest control has sorted out the mouse problem to ensure the problem does not persist.

Kind regards