Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Agoda.com
US$56
Booking.comUS$63
PricelineUS$63
FindHotelUS$79
All reviews cleaning staff hotel is great shuttle service spacious room convention foreshore
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 March 2020

I was on a business trip, booking in at 11 pm and booking out again at 6 am, so I really didn't need much. If I had stayed any longer, this would have been a very boring experience. I will not book here on my personal time and account.
This hotel needs a serious upgrade. I have stayed in various hotels in the area for the same price or even less, with a far better look and feel.
I would also focus a bit on cleanliness if I were them. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Nothing else much to say, unfortunately.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2020 via mobile

The hotel looks nice and the rooms are spacious but...
The service and attention to detail is anything but 4 star!
We checked in on the first day and that night there was such a noise in the roof of vibrating pipes. Maintenance came and was very friendly but was not able to solve the problem.
The shower tap switch was just a piece of wire too.
The next day we requested to move to a room where there was not this noise at night.
The next day we needed the room in the morning and when we left at lunch time we put the “make up room”. At 5pm on return it was not made up. Then housekeeping came. Again - friendly staff but they took all our towels and some of our coffee cups. But never returned them. When we left again at 6pm we reminded the front desk we did not get any towels and needed cups. On return at 11pm - still none. And it’s taken forever to bring them while we have to wait before we can go to sleep?!!

Breakfast was another big disappointment. The hotel does not publicize that it’s halal, so no bacon and pork or a bar. The variety of breakfast is extremely scarce.

THE MOST SORRY EXCUSE FOR A 4 STAR HOTEL. It’s the service and attention to detail that is seriously lacking.

As another guest reviewed. Only the location is great. Though the staff seem friendly it’s clear that management don’t care?!

Trip type: Travelled on business
davidpadix, General Manager at Capetonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2020

Dear Quentin,

So sorry that I only got to meet you on your departure day, I am glad that we had a chance to discuss your issues in person.
Please be assured that I take your points of dissatisfaction very seriously and will get to work on remedying our shortcomings.
Once again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced during your recent stay with us.

Kind regards
David Dix

Reviewed 6 March 2020

Flights were delayed, so we had a very late booking! Yusrie welcomed us and really delivered stellar service. A work in progress but the revamp at the hotel looks amazing as well. The Capetonian is being restored and done so with great quality. Location is perfect, right next to the Convention Centre in the CBD of this beautiful city. More than the stay, the service is absolutely refreshing. Keep it up! A HUGE thank you to the friendly staff at the hotel! Yusrie, thank you again for making our visit so comfortable. The Capetonian is going places! All the best with the restoration of this grand dame!

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2020 via mobile

The location of hotel is very very good as it lies very close to V&A waterfront and Parliament Street. You will find bars, restaurants nearby. However, despite being a very very old hotel, the service of the hotel sucks badly. You will have to wait for close to 30 minutes for simple things. The room allotted to me was also very poor. Being a room for 2 people, the room had queen size bed not very comfortable for 2 people. One can also look for other hotels in the area

Date of stay: February 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
davidpadix, General Manager at Capetonian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2020

Dear Askoel,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback, we are always striving to perfect our service.
I apologize that your recent experience was not up to expectation.
I would like to find out more out the service issues you experienced, please would you reach out to me?
manager@capetonian.co.za

Kind regards
David Dix

Reviewed 17 February 2020

We stayed over on the 8th of February 2020 for one night only. I booked through booking.com (R1 530.00 for the night) about 3 hours before we arrived at 21:00 the evening. The reason I booked the capetonian was because we needed a place close to the waterfront.

The reception area looked nice and check in was hassle free.

The room allocated to us however was terrible and looked nothing like what is advertised on their website. It's old, worn out and dirty. I have attached some photos so that you can see for yourself that this is NOT a 4 star hotel and by far the worse hotel we have ever stayed at.

On our way out to the Waterfront I spoke to the 2 ladies in reception and told them that the room was really not up to standard. I showed them the photos I took and all I got from them was a "email the photos"....... THAT'S IT. When I asked if they will shower in that bathroom I got a no with a big grin on the one receptionist face. After asking what the email adres was for the second time I got a very sarcastic answer and alot of attitude even being rudely interrupted while trying to explain that this was definitely not what we booked. I felt more like I was interrupting their late night gossip session. I left without saying anything else because I could see that this was a losing battle and I am not one for making a scene.

Upon our return from the Waterfront my stepson was the only one willing to take on that disgusting shower. We left early the next morning without having breakfast.

No surprise that I am still waiting for a reply on both emails I send that evening, just one more reason I will never stay at this hotel again.

Date of stay: February 2020