“Hugely disappointing”
Review of Capetonian Hotel

Capetonian Hotel
Ranked #108 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

For information, our booking for this hotel was not made by ourselves. Following our visit, I looked at different websites eg Booking.com that advertise the hotel and the hotel's own website and there are numerous inconsistent descriptions of what this hotel offers, some of which are inaccurate. This hotel is certainly is not 4 star standard though.

To start with the positives, the bed was very comfortable, the towels were excellent, good provision of toiletries, the room was clean and a good size. The 11th floor room, facing the car park, was quiet with the windows shut and, after managing to get the remote control for the air conditioning unit from reception, it was the quietest air conditioning we've ever experienced. There was a shuttle to and from the hotel to the V&A waterfront, but we actually walked in the evening (15minutes each way) and I walked alone during the day feeling very safe. The staff were polite and helpful.
However, there were a lot of negatives and irritations. The hotel looked tired and in need of maintenance. There were 3 lifts, with only one working, which meant a lot of wasted time trying to get to and from our room. There were numerous tour groups so at times long queues to use the lifts. Whilst there was good provision of towels, there was no towel rail on which to hang the wet ones. The toilet roll holder fitting was poorly installed so toilet roll kept falling off. The toilet lid and seat had to scrape against the wall to open. The bedside lamp had no bulb. The room safe did not work. As previously referred to, there was no remote for the air conditioning unit actually in the room. There was no information folder in the room about the hotel, so even the more important information, such as what to do if there was a fire, medical emergency etc was not available. We did not manage to get Wifi connection. Breakfast was very average. Other meals did not seem to be available, despite some websites saying the hotel has a restaurant.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 November 2017

As most reviews mention, the hotel seems a bit tired and old. Although the location is reasonable for being in the center. The shuttle service to the wharf was perfect for drop off and pick up (only 10 mins max to the wharf). The room was quiet.

Some reviews mentioned the restaurant food was bad, but we actually had two very good breakfasts each morning with plenty of options.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rpstory
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

Basic hotel but offers great access to the Cape Town International Convention Centre which is just a 5 minute walk. Food very average. Offers free hourly shuttle bus to the waterfront where there are plenty of shops, coffee shops and restaurants

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2017

On Friday, my family and I visited the Capetonian for Eid lunch. I need to give you an holistic view of my experience with your team from the offset so that you can have a clear understanding of my disappointment in what transpired on the day in question.

Initially, I submitted a quotation request to your staff, and I must say, I received a prompt response. What was a concern was the fact that the entire amount of due upfront. I understand that Eid is a busy day but to have a party commit without taking ‘life ‘and it’s happenings into account is a very stringent approach. Nonetheless, this is your business model, whether it’s sustainable is really dependent on the service received.

This is where my concern resonates from, your team was unable to get hold of me via telephone, however I sent my reservation via email and one would think that it would be common courtesy to liaise with a customer via the medium of their choice. Now, you need to understand that not everyone has the opportunity to be available via telephone during a work day, so why not explore all communication channels available to you. Anyway, what annoyed me was the fact that I received a call at night from one of your employees, a gentlemen by the name of Adeeb or Adiel (not really sure). He opens the call with a greeting, and immediately goes into a complaint of how long he was trying to get hold of me regarding my reservation. How UNPROFESSIONAL.

I was so irritated that I shot him down and referred him to my cousin, as she was in communication with your reservation team regarding our booking earlier that day. Clearly this highlights the fact that there is lack of internal communication or that your team is not updating bookings with comments to avoid duplicate work and customers feeling as though they being harassed. His approach and tone was as if we owed your restaurant, NO, we were placing a booking for an event that was still to take place. At that point, all I wanted to know was whether or not the booking was cancelled, because really, you are not the only halaal buffet provider anymore, so where you might have dominated the market a few years ago, your clearly need to make your staff aware that when people have options, a harassment technique is the last approach that you should be taking. If I am to be explicitly honest, if you were as in demand as you might think you are, you would of cancelled my booking when you failed to get hold of me, and frankly, that would have been the best thing you could have done for us.

Nonetheless, my family felt that your menu offered variety and they wanted us to proceed with the booking. On arrival at your establishment, there was not enough chairs set up at our table sigh…
During the serving of lunch, the restaurant ran out of clean plates ( not sure if you wanted to ration servings , so maybe having small plates available was smart or just poor planning on your end)
If the above was not enough, on ordering beverages, we were given chipped jugs ( see attached pictures)…. Really, after all the calls and the poor service we received until that point, we still lucky enough to get your finest crockery!! The poor waiter was so apologetic, but let’s be fair, is it not your managements duty to ensure that this does not happen?

We then discussed our disappointment with the floor manager, who disappeared for 30 mins thereafter, returned with a mouth full of sweets or something which limited his ability to engage with us effectively. He murmured a halfhearted apology, and advised that he will check if they can replace the jugs and never bothered to return.

Lastly, I need to express my concern with a pooling mechanism of tips. Should I, the customer, not reserve the right to pay my gratuity to the person who offered me the service? Between servings, one other gentlemen cleared our plates during which he pushed over my aunt to grab the plates( and then he gets to share the in the reward of someone that actually worked extremely hard to manage our expectations and make us feel welcomed by your restaurant?) . I am so confused and disappointed by this day but I am hoping that my complaint does not go unnoticed and provides some valuable feedback for future implementation.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

Now it's just old.
Service isn't very good.
Not what it used to be a few years ago.
Looks like it hasn't been upgraded ever. Not worth what you pay to stay here.
There are much better hotels in this price range in Cape Town.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business