All reviews butchers grill long street table mountain bo kaap rooftop pool bree street wi fi central location green market square superior room hotel restaurant spent nights hop on hop off bus enjoyed my stay south africa waterfront gym
Reviewed 30 May 2015

Ideally placed to enjoy consideration. Misses the mark on EXCESSIVE PARKING fees – only a DAILY rate available. NO FREE WiFi??? Unacceptable! Chamber staff excessively noisy! Slow counter service at peak am checkout.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 28 May 2015

We stayed for only 2 nights at this hotel for our short stay in Cape Town. The room we had was huge (very long and narrow), beds were clean and reasonably comfortable but we were glad we only had 2 nights as they were a little too firm for us. The location is OK but you do need to take a taxi to be right in the heart of the city and it isn't in the sort of area we felt comfortable walking around at night. Hence, we made sure we had our main meal before we returned to the hotel each day. They do have a restaurant but we chose to eat out. We did ask at reception if it was possible to get a bus into town but they recommended a taxi and to be fair it cost only R45 which works out at about £2.50 so not worth the hassle of waiting for public transport we felt. WiFi is available for R100 (about £5.50) and we left before I had used all the time allocation. We would consider using the Cape Town Lodge again but would prefer to be a little nearer the centre of town.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue H
Reviewed 24 May 2015

This hotel is great value for money, situated in central Cape Town and is perfect for people who want to experience Cape Town night life or if you are on a business trip. The hotel is also close to theV&A Waterfront and for an extra fee you can use their a shuttle service which can take you to places around town. This is handy if you don't have a car.
I found this service very useful and the driver was friendly and helpful.

At the Hotel there is a restaurant called the Famous Butchers Grill which is a great place to have dinner, the food was fabulous. There is also a pool bar and a cigar lounge.

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, although the room was not big but it was clean and it had everything you would expect from a hotel.

My only negative comment is that there is a R200 deposit which needs to be paid up front and all the little hidden costs like parking and so on.

Room Tip: Choose a floor higher up to stay and a room with a view
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2015

I visited this hotel with my partner and stayed there for 2 nights. Perfect location. Rooms are clean and lovely. Views are great. Sweet melodies at breakfast. It was a beautiful experience in general. Parking is a bit of a problem though, it could do with more space but at least it is very safe with 24hr security!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2015

This is a lovely hotel in a very good location and it is also very good value for money. The rooms are great, it is very clean, the bar and restaurant are very good, if a bit expensive, breakfast is marvellous...BUT the reception staff are bloody awful.

I arrived at 10am, hoping to leave my bag for the day. I had paid in advance. There was no 'Hello' or 'Welcome'. I was told 'I'm very, very early'. Yes? And? I only want to leave my bag...

Can I have some more sugar in my room? Properly checking in and out. I think I turned into the invisible woman.

Dreadful, dreadful...the worst service I have experienced in South Africa.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo