“Excellent position close to V and A Waterfront”
Review of The PortsWood

The PortsWood
Ranked #42 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed for 4 nights at the start of our tour of South Africa. Staff friendly and helpful. Room comfortable with tea and coffee facilities and cosmetics. Breakfast was very good, we tried two meals at the sister hotel The Commodore but they were of similar quality on both sites. We also ate in the hotel each evening as we were too tired from exploring to venture far and the quality was again very good, also one could have a snack or a full meal in the restaurant. The swimming pool was small and covered for part of the day because of the drought issues but we didn't actually use it.

Room Tip: I don't think there are many rooms with views
Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BiscuitHampshire
JvanderMerwe, Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback and kind words. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back sooner rather than later.

Muneeb Eksteen

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I found myself staying in Cape Town when my husband had a stroke and we were therefore not able to take our booked cruise. I cannot speak highly enough of the staff at the hotel as they knew my circumstances and went out of their way to make me feel welcome, safe and were very caring without being intrusive. For the rest of my life I will remember their collective kindness to me. I believe people make a difference to every business and certainly The Portswood Hotel has great staff i.e. from the staff at the front door, reception staff, dining room/kitchen staff, bar staff and the ladies who looked after my room. The food whether your are talking about breakfast, lunch or dinner is simply excellent (and there is a lot of it - probably too much). Unfortunately I have a food allergy (sulphates) which means I am not able to eat a lot of things without getting violently ill. The chefs were fantastic; they would cook my meal without the things which I cannot eat. The food tasted and looked great. My room was certainly large enough for me and was very well maintained. I had a separate bathroom and overlooked the swimming pool. Whilst it was a short, safe walk to the V & A Waterfront Area the surrounds of the immediate hotel were so peaceful with good outdoor areas to sit quietly. When my husband was discharged from hospital he also stayed at the hotel for 6 nights and fully supports my view. We provided a review direct to the hotel which named specific staff members who went out of their way to be helpful and supportive to me. The Portswood Hotel is a real gem. I don't make this statement lightly as my husband and I have been travelling the world regularly since 1978 and have stayed in many hotels across a wide variety of countries.

Stayed: December 2017
1  Thank Evron M
JvanderMerwe, Guest Relations Manager at The PortsWood, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had the pleasure of hosting a group at the Portswood Hotel prior to boarding a cruise out of Cape Town. The staff are very welcoming and highly efficient. The rooms were very nicely appointed and one’s every need was catered for.
They also have a traditional Cape Malay buffet that I found very tasty, although those who do not like spicy food should order from their ala carte menu. The hotel is a few paces from the wonderful world of dining, shopping and entertainment and it gets a definate thumbs up from me!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel is well located within a couple of 100m of the waterfront and all that has to offer.
Although the hotel was comfortable there are areas that would benefit from updating. The service was good but not too many smiley faces apart from the door staff and a couple of waiting staff.
Breakfast was good and set you up for the day. Due to the water restrictions the pool was unavailable and the A/c in our room was extremely noisy. But overall all a pleasant enough stay.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 10 nights.
The hotel arranged airport transfers for us which was very helpful and booked all our trips.
Breakfast was good.
Comfy, clean rooms.
There was a drought so couldn’t use the hotel pool however we were able to use the pool in another hotel. This was perfect and never too busy! The pool was only open a few hours but this didn’t cause any issues.
All the staff are so friendly and helpful especially the bar staff.
The location is excellent very close to the V&A waterfront. Close and safe to walk.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cape Town