3 people are viewing this hotel
Algotels
R 5 251
Reviews (1 387)
1 387 results
All reviews graduate school great location prison building frosted glass table mountain few minutes walk hop on hop off bus easy access aquarium waterfront couch
Selected filters
15 - 20 of 1 387 reviews
Reviewed 21 January 2023

The stay itself was lovely. However, the experience is all wiped out by our credit card hold of over $1100US not being returned for over 3 months. They are saying they can’t make their bank release the funds and my bank won’t reverse the charges because the hotel has provided documentation that we stayed there. Shame on Marriott Bonvoy for not doing anything either.

Date of stay: October 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank violetpilot852
Reviewed 11 January 2023 via mobile

I just concluded a superb 2 night stay. Awesome location a few minutes walk from Capetown’s dynamic waterfront area. The spacious rooms are modern and well-appointed. The delicious breakfast spread at Stonebreakers restaurant is expansive. Colin the GM runs a tight ship… his entire team are super-friendly and helpful to out-of-towners. Can’t wait to come back!

Date of stay: January 2023
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2023

Being in the travel industry I have had the opportunity to stay at many Marriott properties worldwide and I must commend this superb 3 star Breakwater Lodge on being one of the friendliest , most welcoming hotels that I have been fortunate enough to stay at over the years. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff at this wonderful hotel and its location in the heart of the V&A Waterfront is unbeatable value for money. I highly recommend for those who want the best location without having to pay the high 5 star premiums - this property is a staircase away from the Cape Town City Sightseeing Bus - so could not be more central in the vibrant Cape Town Waterfront. The rooms are neat and clean and simply all that you need as you head out to see all the amazing sights Cape Town has to offer.

Room tip: We were on second floor - quieter location to ground floor reception level
Reviewed 29 December 2022 via mobile

I can’t believe this property meets the minimum standards for a Marriott. I used points to book a two bedroom accommodation. These were the tiniest rooms that I’ve seen since staying in an 8-hour transit hotel in Japan in the 90s. I. Mean. Small. You can’t put your bag at the foot of the bed and walk past.

The bathroom had a tweaked door that opened to the inside of an itty bitty bathroom. My in-laws wouldn’t be able to get into the bathroom because they wouldn’t be able to squeeze to the side and get to the toilet. I can’t imagine how half the cleaning staff could get in. Unbelievably, maintenance could have easily fixed the door. I popped the plastic seal strip off one side of the door, pulled the door to the outside where it should be, and put the moulding back on. Unfortunately, as soon as someone pushes the door inside again, it’s stuck.

Don’t even get me started on the service in the restaurant at breakfast. For one, there aren’t sufficient staff to clean and set tables. Also, the staff aren’t in any hurry to do their jobs. I went in at breakfast opening and there still weren’t tables set. Additionally, when I requested coffee from the barista, I was testily told that the wait staff would need to request my coffee. That’s great, but I never had a waiter during two of the four mornings I was there.

I hate to mention this, but there seemed to be a lot of anger and attitude from about half of the restaurant staff. Very, very poor attitudes. For example, when I walked in 1/2 hour before breakfast closed, there weren’t any tables cleared. The hostess started pushing two four-person tables together for the four of us. I kindly mentioned that we would be fine at one table, and she directed me to stand outside until she called for me. She said this quite rudely.

Do yourself a favor and stay someplace else.

Room tip: Don’t stay here
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Getaway30980305853
Reviewed 24 December 2022

We stayed December 21-27 and the service is 5 star; staff courteous and extremely helpful. I didn’t give 5 stars because the room layouts are not the best. It used to be a prison transformed to a high end hotel which is great and interesting but the bathroom walls are frosted glass so if one person is in the bathroom the light shines through to the bed area. There are only 1 place with an outlets to charge the phone at the desk/coffee tray. Our room was not ready at checkin time and they graciously upgraded us to a suite an hour later. However the suite had the glass bathroom walls that shines light into the sleeping area. Also the glass creates shadows of the person using the bathroom. There are no washcloths which is typical of many overseas hotels so we carry our own. The shower head is so high up and is difficult to adjust; the laundry wire is too high to reach for someone 5’6” or shorter. The sofa in the suite is very low and hard for elderly people to sit and stand from. Again, the staff is outstanding; the restaurant is excellent offering a wide menu and the breakfast buffet 5 star!

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple