This hotel is a very nice choice for a short business or sightseeing trip to Cape Town. The hotel is located near the V&A waterfront (5-8 minute walk) with plenty of restaurants and shopping on hand. Most conveniently, there is a sightseeing red bus, bus stop literally right across the street.
The hotel pictures and website dont do it much justice. Most of the pictures shown are of the old jail - which is now the University of Cape Town's Business School. The hotel iteself is right across this old building (see my pictures attached here). The hotel rooms are decently sized, very clean and modern looking, and are fairly comfortable. The general area seemed fairly safe given the University next door. Internet access and breakfast was included in my room rate, which was very affordable to begin with. The hotel has a restaurant and bar (in the main old building) which is open fairly late until 11.00pm or so. Overall, the hotel seems to be popular with business visitors (perhaps faculty/staff at the University) and with MBA students, giving it a mostly academic, quiet feel.
'Downtown' Cape Town is about a 10 minute taxi ride (walk downstairs across the street and get a cab), where you can find many options to eat, shop and see. The airport is a good half an hour drive away.
Overall, a good choice for a short trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Balance modern comfort and and experience soaking in the rich history of Cape Town with a stay at Protea Hotel by Marriott Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge. Our hotel in Cape Town, South Africa sits right next to the city's fantastic V&A Waterfront, a minute from restaurants, shops and theatres. We're perfectly poised to give you a feel for the heart of the Waterfront area, just 25 km from Cape Town International Airport. Enjoy easy access to beaches, mountains and city hotspots from our accommodations, as well as convenience getting to Cape Town International Convention Center and Cape Town Stadium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Protea Hotel Cape Town Waterfront Breakwater Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Breakwater Cape Town Central
- Breakwater Hotel Cape Town
- The Breakwater Hotel