“Whether for Business or pleasure this Hotel is simply the best in the world”

Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Ranked #11 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 14 March 2015

From Sarah in reservations,a tough but fair negotiator to the time you check out this is just the best hotel I stay in.Let me start with the booking,we sat by the pool last year and in a very relaxed way discussing what we would like in terms of price Sarah always bring a calculator but we are both capable of working out % in our head.It works well and we can usually agree!
As I was on the Lufthansa flight this time,I used the hotel car to pick me up from the airport.Rudi was waiting as I came through customs.I had to visit the printers on the way to the hotel and this was absolutely no problem at all.I arrived at the hotel in the usual warm welcome-Patrick checked me in as the token man-he was the only person who did not give me a hug(phew!!!)He checked me efficiently with Stacey ensuring he did it right!!
Then I went to the room where the amazing Marlene was waiting,I just changed put my valuables in the safe and left her to unpack she is like a little fairy magically whisking my clothes into the wardrobes-while I was lazing by the pool.The pool team led by Dean and the the amusing Lizle,with a crew that are fun and efficient.After a little snooze it is time to go for a massage.Fairoza is a helpful as ever and we are very grateful for the help she gave on my alter ego!Lisa booked my massages efficiently and with great humour.She also did half my massages including my last one.I slept like a baby on the flight home.Kelly did the rest of them except one where I sneaked an extra one with Amanda!Kelly is tiny but she is probably the strongest masseuse I have ever met.As a karate black belt I would not recommend pinching a chip off hr plate without permission in triplicate!I am often asleep within minutes.This is one of the most delightful places to spend time.The conservatory is a haven of calm with comfy beds and no mobiles!!Bliss
After a shower it is time to reluctantly go for a drink in the bar!!!Benson,Shaun and Patrick know what I drink and it is poured into a chilled glass,it is a lovely way to start the evening.
Paul and Donny then whisk me out me dinner,or if I am in town I take a unicab but always get the hotel to pick me up,to take me home.The bed in the room is just so comfy,that I was sleep well here.I usually start the day in the gym( I was once quite rightly told off for chatting too loud on my phone by another guest and they were right!lesson learned)-I love the gym because it clears the mind and gets the body ready for the day ahead,whether it is work or rest.
I then go for breakfast where Margaret,Katie,Meegan,Danielle and Chanice make sure croissants are warmed,fresh mint tea and honey appears.Eggs are cooked to order and the fruit and cold meets and fish are sublime.This is a fabulous buffet and hour long breakfasts are what days were designed for!
Before I chat about my favourite people in the hotel,i would like to make one constructive comment,I thought check out was a little slower than usual.But this is a minor detail in an otherwise flawless stay.
Housekeeping is utterly brilliant,Marlene unpacked and Pretty packed for me.The room is spotlessly clean-trousers are hung in wardrobes amd clothes folded.They are always smiling and they are just so friendly and helpful.
Carmen sorted out my cocktail party and the girls and Chad made sure I could chat o my guests rather than worry that they were being fed and watered.Taunton gardens is such a great venue.The views are magnificent.
My mum and I had the last night in the Planet restaurant the food was fabulous the Gazpacho and the lamb (not on the same plate) were sensational.My mum adored the springbok.
Pearl is the most animated sommelier I have ever met.She knows her wines-and picked up a couple of gems.Her white smile and sheer enthusiasm for wine and life is how everyone should be.
With my business hat on I had to get a couple of people to Jo'burg for a television interview in a short window.Melissa was all on her own on concierge,normally I am very patient and do not mind if things take a bit of time to arrange.This had to be done really fast.Melissa not only booked the flights and the accommodation close to the studio she made sure everything ran like clockwork.This is probably this is the most important thing I have ever asked concierge to do,and Melissa was utterly Brilliant.No praise is high enough here!!
She has he ability to differentiate between the truly important and the stuff she can sort later.I was under real time pressure and she delivered in spades!!I owe her a big thank you.
The rest of the team led by Jo-anne and Byron and supported by the precise and efficient Althea(who works in a similar way to me,and the recently hair cut Angela!Nothing is too much trouble whether it is shopping for incidentals, booking restaurants or just chatting about your day,they are truly world class.
Of course a well run hotel needs people at the top creating the right culture,Joey the deputy has still the same enthusiasm he had when I first met him 25 years ago,but did he really have to bang on about the cricket when he knew the result at my cocktil party and pretended to check it on his phone,as though the he had no idea!!
Finally Xavier,the man that gets the blame when things go wrong,so he equally some of the credit when things go well.This is so well run that this has to be the best hotel anywhere.Couple this with views to die for and high quality restaurants all over the city.
I am so blessed to be able to stay here regularly.I am already excited about my next trip which is the longest stay I will have had in any one hotel.
Thank you to everyone who made my trip so enjoyable my mum had a great time
also.
Kendal mint

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
gabrielle_palmer, Public Relations Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2015

What can we say, except that we are over the moon with your review of our hotel. Thank you so much for taking the time to give your feedback, and for making sure that you did not leave out any department in your praise of the hotel. You make us proud to be in the hospitality industry and we are very much looking forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 646)

655 - 659 of 1 646 reviews

Reviewed 13 March 2015

Final stop on an east coast journey. After reading the reviews describing this as the Grand Dame, I must say that it lives up to the reputation. Splendid grounds (though the modern art sculptures don't fit at all with the old world feel). Lovely meals, including good vegetarian options. I particularly recommend the beetroot salad offered on the patio (casual dining alternative to the Planet). Attentive service. Breakfast offerings are lavish.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your review and we are delighted that your stay with us lived up to your high expectations and that you noticed that we do offer good options for vegetarians :)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 March 2015 via mobile

There are many many reasons why I'd make a detour to stay at the Mount Nelson but none greater then their fabulous resident tennis coach, Barkie McKrea, who is one of the great students of the game and of the psychology of winners and who has more insight than coaches I've encountered from the United States or Europe.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

What a lovely review of our hotel and our extra fabulous tennis coach Barkie, thank you so much.

Reviewed 11 March 2015

The mount nelson hotel was visited by us on a round trip through south afrika. It is not the most stunning hotel on our trip but is still high class. It is a very nice hotel with good rooms, good service and a nice flaire. Probably the best hotel in cape town.

Room Tip: They have 2 pools and I strongly recommend the much more quiet "adult-only" pool.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled with family
gabrielle_palmer, Public Relations Manager at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2015

We are very happy that you found us to be the Best Hotel in Cape Town, and that you loved the fact that we had two swimming pools to choose from, one much quieter than the other.

Reviewed 11 March 2015

We had dinner on two occasions outside on the Terrace. On both occasions the service was efficient and friendly. The food was very good and the menu has sufficient scope to offer good choices. The wine list was that you would expect of a five star African hotel. This was a clear improvement over their performance last year and reflects well on the standard of the new owner. All they need to do is to ditch the Planet theme for the main restaurant and restore the Cape Colony dining room to its former glory - complete with the mural. If the politicians don't like it - tough.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple