Lowest prices for your stay
R 23 400
Reviews (2 592)
2 592 results
2 310
2 310
All reviews signal restaurant welcome home bascule bar whiskey bar table mountain car service beautiful hotel our honeymoon every member of staff waterfront area perfect location luxury hotel robben island four nights restaurants and shops concierge chauffeur
Selected filters
1 - 6 of 2 592 reviews
Reviewed 6 October 2023

This is simply a warning: Late in 2022 I had booked five nights at this property through Tablet Hotels for a trip in the first few months of 2023. Upon arriving in Johannesburg, I found an issue with my eye; after visiting an ophthalmologist, and then retina specialist, it turned out that I had to return home for emergency surgery. The day I was supposed to fly to Cape Town check into the Cape Grace, I ended up flying home.

As soon as I realized that I had to depart ASAP, I contacted Tablet Hotels to let them know that I had to leave S. Africa due to an emergency; I did NOT want to cancel, but simply re-book at a later date (I was already returning the next month). Repeat: I did NOT want a refund, I simply wanted to move the date.

Tablet Hotels contacted the Cape Grace, who informed that they would not even consider re-booking me, and that they would be keeping my money and I would not have the room later. Which is nice for the hotel, as they would be able to resell the room a second time.

Two lessons: 1) Book a room at the Cape Grace at your own risk. I was out several thousand USD*, and it was a bit surprising and a lot disappointing. 2) If you DO book the Cape Grace, do NOT prepay and...DO take out travel insurance. Because they don't care about reasonability, they only seem to care about taking as much money as possible in whatever way possible. This is typical of S. African banks, but I expected more of a hotel of this "caliber."

You've been warned.

A much more budget-conscious alternative would be the V&A Waterfront hotel - many rooms have simultaneous views of the harbour AND Table mountain, and you can even wave over to the Cape Grace! :)

*Sure, if I could afford to book this property, I could afford to "lose" the money, but it was just surprising that it would be lost due to greed, as there was no way the hotel wouldn't have been able to resell my room, at a HUGE markup from what I had booked months in advance.

Room tip: -Book at your own risk -Do not prepay -Book at your own risk -Cape Grace loves your money -Book at your own risk
Date of stay: March 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Cape Grace, Owner at Cape Grace, A Fairmont Managed Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2023

Dear William,

We are disheartened to hear about your experience with Cape Grace. We understand how frustrating it can be when there is a misunderstanding. At Cape Grace, we take great care in ensuring that all our reservations are honoured and upheld. We take this matter seriously and encourage you to please contact us directly at capegrace.pr@fairmont.com to discuss your concerns.

We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Leon Meyer, General Manager.

Reviewed 3 July 2023

Beautiful hotel on the waterfront in Cape Town, loved the location! Can walk to so many things. Hotel is lovely, sadly though they were closing right after we left for a huge renovation. I'm sure it will be lovely but was sad to hear from a few of the staff that they would be losing their jobs and not sure when they would reopen to get their jobs back.

Date of stay: May 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann A
Reviewed 17 June 2023

Our third visit stay in Cape Grace. Luxurious, impeccable service. Food - awesome. Lovely friendly staff. You get what you pay for and MORE. We hope to return in 2024 when the prices come out. Our favourite destination in the World. Quayside Location is superb, away from the hustle and bustle but within a minute or two's walk to everything. The breakfasts are to die for and The Signal restaurant out of this world.....I could write a book. Rooms as you would expect from a 5* hotel with loads of "add on plusses". Superb hotel

Room tip: My only tip is to book your stay at Cape Grace - It is absolute perfection in every single way.
Date of stay: January 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Cape Grace, Owner at Cape Grace, A Fairmont Managed Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2023

Dear AnnieH235,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and that our service was to your liking. We cannot wait to welcome you home in 2024.

The Cape Grace Team.

Reviewed 2 June 2023

Very classy, upscale hotel. Beautifully decorated. Excellent staff — all of them from reception, to wait staff, to room stewards. Bar and dining room really good. Rooms large, clean, comfortable. Terrific location - within walking distance of harbor attractions including restaurants and bars. Excellent price for the level of accommodation. Unfortunately, we learned during our stay that we were some of the last guests before the hotel (has now) closed before renovations and addition to the Fairmont brand. A real shame. Truly, one of the best places we have stayed, and we have stayed at nice places all over the world.

Date of stay: May 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Oinick1959,

Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We will make sure to pass on your kind words to our team. We would also like to assure you that some things at Cape Grace are unchangeable. The foundation on which this hotel was built, its true luxury legacy, and the personalised service will remain and moments will continue to be turned into memories at Cape Grace. We cannot wait to welcome you to our newly re-fashioned home in future.

Warm regards

The Cape Grace Team

Reviewed 24 May 2023

Our stay at the Cape Grace was the final stop on our South African trip. It was absolutely perfect. We had the 2 bedroom suite for 2 adults and 2 teens, which was very luxurious. Right at the V & A Waterfront. Great location and the greatest staff. Breakfast was phenomenal.

Room tip: Don’t skip out on their breakfast. Buffet and made to order dishes.
Date of stay: January 2023
Cape Grace, Owner at Cape Grace, A Fairmont Managed Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2023

Dear ColoradoLover65,

We are happy to hear that you had a memorable stay with us and that you enjoyed our service and breakfast. We cannot wait to welcome you back once we have been fully re-fashioned.

Warm regards,

Leon Meyer, General Manager, and the Cape Grace Team.