Reviews (2 329)
2 329 results
2 077
2 077
All reviews signal restaurant bascule bar welcome home whiskey bar table mountain complimentary car service dressing area chauffeur service overlooking the marina beautiful hotel our honeymoon every member of staff luxury room perfect location rooms are spacious waterfront area bottle of champagne
42 - 47 of 2 329 reviews
Reviewed 1 October 2018

AmaWaterways uses the Cape Grace Hotel as their home for their African adventures and I understand why: it is class, elegance, and perfection in every way.

We arrived to a fantastic welcome, a very relaxed check in and smiles and friendly service enhanced by a delicious welcome drink and hot towels. It took a mere 10 minutes to get all 28 of us checked in, passports registered and keys distributed and then it was off to our incredibly beautiful rooms. Ama and Cape Grace had upgraded me to a Suite as the group leader and for having brought them a full charter. All I can say is WOW.

The room was elegant, with a view of the marina and Table Mountain and a wonderfully sized terrace. Welcome champagne and wine and a plate of sweets was waiting, along with the Welcome Gifts I had ordered for my guests and another Welcome bag of goodies from Ama. We'd had a bit of a trying morning earlier and it all just melted away from the sheer joy of being in such a lovely place. I had to pinch myself a couple of times that this was real.

Not wanting to leave the room, we ordered room service of oysters and the Farmer's Board. What came was heaven for the mouth and belly and a beautifully laid out table. We shucked our clothes, put on the very comfortable robes (finally one big enough for a bear of a man) and proceeded to enjoy the afternoon view with one of the finest lunches I've had in a long time.

To the credit of the concierge staff, one of my guests had had an absolutely horrid experience getting to Cape Town with Emirates and not only lost their Business Class seats for the long flight there, but also their luggage. Without anything but the initial air ticket to go by, the Cape Grace staff were able to find the bags, get them to the hotel and had them delivered to their room by the end of the 2nd day and literally saved their vacation! Kudos to all who helped with that! Seriously. I was not at all sure they would ever see their bags again, but Cape Grace came to the rescue.

The first two days flew by and the third happened to be my 50th birthday. I had contacted Cape Grace a good two years ago when I first booked this Ama charter to let them know what I wanted. My primary contact Kenyisa, as well as Chris Brossy, ensured that everything that we spoke about was carried out exactly as planned. The staff in the restaurant itself could not have been nicer, helping me tweak the table settings and arrangements, setting up the cocktail hour and basically making it a perfect evening.

Luckily, earlier that day my thoughtful partner had booked me in for a massage and it was one of the best I have ever had (and there have been a lot). It was pure perfection. The spa at Cape Grace is heaven and I floated out of there to sit and stare at Table Mountain and pinched myself again.

Our departure was bitter sweet. Although we knew we had a lot of adventure ahead of us, not a single person in my group would have said no to more time at Cape Grace. I am just the lucky one that gets to come back in 2020. I can NOT wait!

Room Tip: Get a Suite with a view to Table Mountain!
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave N
Reviewed 28 September 2018 via mobile

A few weeks ago I was in the process of planning a Cake & Tea event (for about 20 guests) for a very special occasion. By Cake & Tea I meant ordering about 4 or 5 of the Cape Grace’s signature cakes, and having this served with macarons, and of course tea and coffee. Although these cakes individually are quite pricey, they are definitely worth every penny! I was very specific about the time, as we already had a prior appointment scheduled, and thus we could originally only have this event in the late evening of around 22h00.

Everything seemed to be going well, until I requested to have your famous Cape Grace ‘scones’ served at what was then to be scheduled a late night Cake & Tea (my original plan was to have this service in your Signal restaurant at around 22h00 until 23:30, after we had dinner elsewhere). I was basically told that this is impossible, and the agent reminded me about your Afternoon Tea service and that it ends at 18:00, and that this is part of your Cream Tea service, and that ‘scones’ are not offered to large groups.

Given what I was informed by the agent, I then considered to move our Cake & Tea event to an earlier time (19:30), and I requested that The Cape Grace considers to offer us your Afternoon Tea set service at this time if possible.

It is very important to note, that I only made this decision to ask about an Alternative Afternoon Tea Service because the Cape Grace couldn’t accommodate my simple request to serve my group ‘scones’ during our late night Cake & Tea.

If I could be completely honest, I was totally saddened and utterly disappointed by the fact that The Cape Grace wouldn’t even ‘attempt’ to assist me with what I consider to be such a simple request (serving us scones in the evening). I find it very interesting as your website (which I consulted before making contact with your staff), clearly states the following:

‘We gladly provide for a full range of events, including:

Presentations and Seminars ; Networking and Cocktail Receptions ; Breakfasts, Lunches and Afternoon Teas ; Private Dinners and Themed Events ; Meetings & Conferences

From initial planning, right down to the final touches, our dedicated team is on hand to ensure that every detail is precisely taken care of, for occasions that are both memorable and seamlessly coordinated’.

Clearly your website is creating the impression that as with most 5 star establishments nothing is too much to put together for your loyal customers. This is where I was completely wrong!

I was then informed that in addition to you not being able to offer me the simple scones, you can’t meet my new request of having a private Afternoon Tea in the evening at 19:30.

At this point, I basically gave up! I felt that no matter what I’m going to ask, The Cape Grace clearly isn’t interested in providing me with the tailored Exceptional Service that your website so proudly boasts about. In my mind I was willing to pay for a private venue fee at this point, if the Afternoon Tea service was an option, but none of that was possible of course.

Again, I’d like to state that this isn’t about not having the afternoon tea service in the evening, that wasn’t even part of my original plan, it’s about being made to feel that each request is just too much hassle.

I then decided to remain optimistic, even though I was feeling quite stressed with our back and forth communication at this point.

I then came up with a new idea, asking the agent if we could revisit the original Cake & Tea concept, and schedule the event at a new time (7:30pm to 9:30pm), and add a few cheese-boards to the order.

I finally received an e-mail response from the agent informing me that this is also not possible at that particular time.

In my mind I was proud to take my business and cash to your hotel, after all I get to decide where I would like to host my event. With all the options in Cape Town, I opted for the Cape Grace as my first choice.

The Cape Grace has a long way to go when it comes to dealing with customers. You couldn’t even manage such a simple event without making me feel like I am begging you for your assistance and hospitality. You clearly made me as the customer feel as if my money wasn’t good enough (refer to the last e-mail that was sent to me by your agent). In this particular e-mail, I did not appreciate the tone that I was being communicated too. I was made to feel like I have a third grade education, and that somehow I was made to feel as if I can’t understand the English language. This particular e-mail was very harsh in my humble opinion, and I found it extremely upsetting. I have never been addressed in such a manner before. Using words such as, ‘I would like to clarify AGAIN’, I found to be quite insulting to my intellect, because I never did misunderstand.

I particularly didn’t like the part where the agent stated the following in response to why the Signal restaurant can’t accommodate my group at an earlier time (around 19:30) for Cake & Tea. The agent basically said that ‘this means that we (Cape Grace) would be turning other guests away who would like to have dinner to assist with a large table which only requires cake’. Now I totally understand that you may have policies in place for large groups, and I respect that in certain venues we may need to order certain items only, however, I think that there’s a better way to communicate this to your customers. At this point I realised that my ‘cake & tea’ money wasn’t worth your while as a hotel.

I firmly believe that The Cape Grace is not some 3 star Motel, where customers need to be made to feel the way that I felt when communicating with you. I have since been in contact with numerous hotels in Cape Town, and I have to state unequivocally that ALL the other 5 star hotels that I contacted clearly offered me the most amazing dining options, tailor-made to my needs. Communications with these hotels were easy, simple and highly professional. In some cases my requests were directly passed on to the Food & Beverage managers who were all a pleasure to deal with. Why can’t the Cape Grace also be as approachable?

In conclusion, although I no longer require the Cape Grace’s services, as my event will be held at a much more established and better equipped hotel, I feel the need to inform you of my experience with the Cape Grace.

Not worth my time or energy!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2018

A true 5-star experience - a modern, exquisite hotel with old time charm and grace. The entire staff are over-the-top friendly and helpful. Outstanding location in the safe harbor area within short walking distance to shopping, restaurants, hop-on-off bus, etc. For breakfast you can dine from the buffet and order from the menu both. Rooms are extremely large and beds are very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out at Table mountain
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ELDJIM
Reviewed 24 September 2018

Afternoon tea, port and sherry in library. Sumptuous restaurant, elegant bar and smiles all around. Excellent location on V&A waterfront. Walking distance to numerous restaurants, shops and entertainment options.

Stayed: September 2018
Reviewed 20 September 2018

This is a beautiful hotel near the harbor area of Capetown. The rooms and common areas are clean and well maintained, and the decor is very nice. The rooms have a large bathroom and walkin closet area. The bed was comfortable. The restaurant was above average, the breakfast was good, dinner OK. The common areas including the gift shop were well above average. The staff was accommodating and efficient.

Room Tip: try to get a harbor view
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family