“Great food, POOR service”
Review of Sotano

Sotano
Ranked #250 of 1 246 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Sushi, Mediterranean
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 29 July 2015 via mobile

Waiters take too long to take orders and when given feedback of the slow pace of their service, they seemed unperturbed. This happened TWICE. Bad service cannot compensate for good food

Reviewed 24 July 2015

Have to say that we usually enjoy eating out in Cape Town as the food and service are usually miles ahead of what we get at home in Sydney at a great price as well. However, we were let down by the service, food and price while having a simple lunch at Sotanos today.

We sat down and waited let's say 10 mins just to be nice, for someone to ask us for drinks. At 1h 45m we ordered a single drink (Rock Shandy). Seeing that the service was slow for other tables, We timed it and said if they don't have the drink by 2h 00m that we would just have the drink and have lunch somewhere else. At exactly 2h 00m the waiter brought us our drink. We laughed and decided to give the place the benefit of the doubt and ordered our food. The place wasn't full at all and there was a group celebrating a birthday and a couple next to us.

I ordered the Fish and Chips while my wife ordered the Lamb burger. 20 mins later our food arrived. First thing we noticed was that the onion rings on my wife's burger were cold as were the chips. My wife wasn't happy with the burger but ate it as we spent so much time waiting as it was and knew returning it would take up more time which we didn't have. Being hungry, I ate the cold chips but my wife didn't touch hers. The waiter saw this but said nothing or even ask us how our food was. We simply paid our bill, left a ZAR1 tip and Proceeded to move on. We usually give pretty healthy tips, especially when the service is excellent. The staff just didn't really seem to care. The waiter gave me a weird look almost as if I had short paid him. I asked if it was all there and he said "it's up to you". I then shook my head and walked away hoping that perhaps he got the hint that poor service and slow kitchen staff that mixes hot and cold food can affect his wallet. Perhaps we should have said something but Unfortunately, we were in a hurry and didn't have time to complain or hope that this meal could have been sorted out in time otherwise we would have. We really just wanted to get out of there.

Needless to say we will not be returning to Sotanos nor recommend it. Hopefully they pick up their game and become deserving of the positive reviews posted here on Tripadvisor.

1  Thank Radwon
Reviewed 8 June 2015

This restaurant is below a small apartment building so not always easy to spot, especially as their signage is currently non-existant!

The outdoor seating is wonderful for a sunny day and it is closed with blinds and heated in the evenings.

So we stayed wonderfully warm!

The menu suited our table of 4 and everybody was happy with their choice.

Service was pleasant and prompt.

A good spot if you are in the Mouille Point area of Cape Town.

Reviewed 2 June 2015

Good food is certainly easy to come by in Cape Town. Superb service, not so much. Our service at Sotano was really top class. Our waitron was un-phased by our many individual requests and did us proud when we dined there with an overseas visitor.

Overall good food, a chilled atmosphere (important as I don't like eating in a very noisy "buzz") and service that left us all with a good taste in our mouths.

Reviewed 17 May 2015

This is a super little spot , often over looked I fear . They have outdoor eating with heating which is a bonus . The menu is varied but not so extensive that you wonder if they could possible do justice to all the dishes . We had a great chicken salad and a equally delicious lamb burger . They also have daily specials and live music .