All reviewsgreen pointhome away from homemeet other travellerscommon areasfree wifidouble roomlocation is greatother guestswe've stayedstay in cape townnice breakfastfantastic staystayed here for nightssouth africalong streetivorhostel
Reviewed 17 December 2017

I was completely blown away by my stay at B.I.G. I'd never really stayed at a "true hostel" before, where people get together and go out to dinner. This place was amazing.
You could purchase anything you wanted at the front desk (regarding food, drink, necessities), they would book tours for you, give you any kind of information you need.

Breakfast is served from 7.45am to 10am. There are boards and pamphlets with things for you to do. A huge dinner table to chat with other hostel members, and even a pool. Two sort of "resident" basset hound dogs made the experience even better. People needed to be quiet after 10pm.

The staff was incredibly kind and helpful, and every night one of them tried to organize a dinner with willing hostel members. I vouched in during most of my nights here and am glad I did because I made plenty of friends that I then hung out with during my stay.

I was here for 7 days, and wish I had been able to stay longer. If you are staying in Cape Town, STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Views aren't the best, but the top floor is probably the most quiet during the day!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Daphdi, Manager at The B.I.G Backpackers in Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2018

Dear Steven, wow, what a wonderful review!

Thank you so much for the kind words, we hope you will visit again in the future!

Reviewed 11 December 2017

I stayed for a total of 8 nights (6 in a dorm room and 2 in a double room). The hostel itself is located on a quiet street in Green Point, not too far from the Waterfront. The dorm I stayed in was en-suite, clean and comfortable with large lockers. The double room was also clean, comfortable and had everything you needed. The social areas were large, clean and breakfast was decent.

The hostel had plenty of suggested activities that you could do during the day and arranged nights out during the week. This helped with meeting people and created an awesome social vibe within the hostel.

The hostel also operates a quiet policy after 10pm, which is a great idea as it allowed those who wanted a quiet night to be able to have one.

Staff are top notch and really make the hostel what it is. They helped with anything and everything and for me, it was the often understated and simplest things like remembering everyone's names and taking a genuine interest in you and your day, which made a big difference overall. Big shout out to all the staff!

The striking of the balance between a good social atmosphere, a quiet place to sleep at night and the genuine friendliness and warmth of the staff, make this the standard that all hostels should strive towards. Whether you are single, in a couple, young or old, the hostel is ideal. I'll definitely be coming to stay here when I'm in Cape Town again.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your review Kwong! We miss having you around and your very "unhelpful"contributions to our puzzle-building ;)

Hopefully we will see you again in the future.

-Robyn and the BIG Family

Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

We really loved the hostel and its friendly staff. It will feel like home if you return here. The staff is super and the guests have a good place to connect with other people. The rooms are clean and the breakfast was super as well. We enjoyed it a lot and will come back if we are in Cape town again.

Tips to improve your stay:
1) Bring your own towel, because the room towels are not allowed for the pool. You can rent one pool towel, but you have to pay around ~30 Rand in order to do so.

2) there is no padlock for the locker, but you can buy one at the reception.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy S

Thanks so much for your review Andy! We're thrilled you enjoyed your time.

Indeed, it is customary in most hostels to bring your own padlock as well as swimming towels (even though we do provide towels for showering)

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in a double room with bathroom and little balcony, from which you could just spot the sea. One morning it was foggy and the constant fog horns was quite eerie; another time we sat out and watched the sun going down. Lovely. This is a safe and comfortable and welcoming place. The staff are really well informed and enthusiastic and seem proud of the place, and so they should be because it is convenient, clean, well organised and with good internet. They sorted taxis for us and provided clear directions.
The breakfast is good. Lots of fresh fruit, real coffee and eggs to cook yourself. The fridge had ice cubes, hurrah, and there is a ready supply of nice wine glasses although you do have to buy your own wine!
We felt comfortable here despite our older status ( both late 60's). There is nothing as brilliant as travel and chatting to people from varied countries and backgrounds. A hostel such as this one really sets a precedent for taking an interest in, and sharing experiences with other travellers. It is relaxed and I recommend it, for great value accomodation, in a convenient spot.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for the glowing review- we are so glad that you love the BIG as much as our staff do! We pride ourselves on creating an atmosphere where everyone, no matter your differences, can create memories together!

Our "Lazy Afternoon" room is definitely charming!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 November 2017 via mobile

If you are shopping hostels or even hotels, pick this place. Private rooms are an option for those parties of two - four who want the hostel perks. Perks? Arranged social activities, communal areas to meet other travellers, informative, helpful and friendly staff (here's looking at you Robyn!).

Great location with short, cheap and safe uber rides readily available. Wifi is great, provided breakfast is impressive, accommodation is clean, comfortable, and modern. Best hostel ever. Really!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Daphdi, Manager at The B.I.G Backpackers in Green Point, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We are so glad you loved it here :)