“Hidden gem with delicious food”
Review of The Wild Fig

The Wild Fig
Ranked #162 of 1 243 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$6 - US$15
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Wild Fig is a fully licensed Restaurant and Bar situated on a portion of the Valkenburg Estate. Our Restaurant is situated in a fairly new building that was built as a part of the restoration of the Valkenberg Manor House. Our bar is situated in the original barn which is a National Monument.
Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

We went with friends for dinner at The Wild Fig. It's quite tucked away and off the beaten track. They have an extensive menu and you can choose from duck to Springbok. The food was delicious. We had a three course meal and the portions are quite generous. My starter was Camembert with figs, mains was prawns which had a spicy bite to them and dessert was red velvet cheesecake. The pics listed are the other meals, which included duck lives, clams, bone marrow, lamb shank, roasted duck and sirloin steak. The creme brulee was divine too.

Reviewed 19 February 2017 via mobile

We haven't been to the Wild Fig restaurant for quite a few years now so I decided to take my wife there for Valentines dinner. I made the booking with Richard and confirmed a quiet table for two in the right corner as you walk in with an option to move outside should the weather be good. Richard called us on the day to re confirm our booking. On arrival there was no barman at the bar, we then went into the restaurant and waited while a waiter was busy on the computer and didn't stop to greet or welcome us. When we were helped, our table had been booked outside. I told the manager I was not happy and insisted that we booked a table inside with an option for outside. The manager told us they were fully booked and we were seated outside and would let us know if a table comes available. We waited a while and were then offered a table inside that I was not happy with but didn't want to ruin the evening. I must say there was no special effort made for Valentines, the tables weren't set up properly, a knife and fork and a serviette, no salt/pepper, no flower and or candle on the table. The set menu was not great and the food was average, my duck was dry and over cooked. The restaurant is very dull with picture lights on all the wall but no pictures at all. Overall not a great experience, I used to love this restaurant but I must say I was quite disappointed and don't think I will go back in a hurry.

Reviewed 17 February 2017

Awesome evening with wife and friends. Great food, nice background music. Good vibe in restaurant. Definitly would return.

Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

I am staying at the Protea hotel and the Wild Fig restaurant is the restaurant providing room service function. After a very long day I just wanted to relax so ordered room service. When placing my first ( yes, there were quite a few iterations of order placing) I was called back informing me my order wasn't part of the room service options. I changed my order to the very restrictive options available for room service. 2 1/2 hours later I hadn't received my food and when I called it was finger pointing and blaming. They called me back again and I reluctantly agreed to have something on the house. Somebody else called me back again informing me my order isn't available only to find out what I ordered wasn't at all what was captured. So here I am, tired, frustrated and going to bed hungry.

Reviewed 26 January 2017

Went her for dinner our first full day in Cape Town since it was in our hotel. We ordered our meals which took a little while to arrive to our table. The Caesar salad was not Caesar salad - it was a Cobb Salad. When it was brought to the attention of the waiter he removed it from the table. A few minutes later the manager came to our table and asked us what we thought a Caesar salad was supposed to be . It's certainly not a salad loaded with eggs, avocadoes, olives, onions, bacon, etc... We told him what they served was a Cobb salad. The other plate was a lamb shank which was average in taste. The beer was good! We weren't charged for the salad.

Some diners sitting next to us were denied service after arriving, getting their menus, sitting there for about ten minutes waiting for service, then finally asking for a waiter. The waiter told them that the restaurant was closed and would not let them order. Why seat them and give them menus if they weren't going to serve them. The manager came over and told them they were closed and they would have to leave. That was a completely unacceptable response if your in an industry that is supposed to provide good service. Seeing this play out and the low quality of food we received I would not return.

Recommend you go across the main road to the small town. There's plenty of restaurants there.