“Perfect Family Vacation”

US$177,20*
and up
Full-Day Private Tour from Cape Town to Cape Point
More attraction details
Owner description: We do what we love and we love what we do. PG Tops and sister company Luxury Safaris promises to show you why Cape Town, the Garden Route and our wonderful wildlife and game parks ensure the holiday of a lifetime! All tours are fully private and customized.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Where to begin...

In August 2013, I reviewed PG Tops and gave them 5 stars because the Cape Town day tours I booked through them were superb. That trip included only my husband and me. Based on that incredible experience, in mid-2106, I contacted them again for a much bigger job: a family vacation to South Africa, including safari, Cape Town and Johannesburg, for our family of 4, including 2 very active pre-teen boys. Not only was PG Tops up the job, they surpassed our highest expectations. They worked with us to create the experience we wanted for our family.

Every transition and transfer point was smooth. Every reservation was booked and confirmed. Every experience was incredible. They handled everything from our airport transfers to booking our safari lodge and hotels to day tours and even lunch and dinner reservations.

I worked with Pieter and Bianca for the bookings. Johan was our guide in Cape Town for most activities, including Table Mountain, Robben Island, Cape Winelands and Cape Point & Penguins. He was excellent and treated our boys like they were his own grandkids. Pieter led our Lion's Head hike. And PG Tops even arranged for another tour company to take us on a Jo'burg/Soweto tour at the end of our trip.

Everything was flawless, and we are sad to be home. It feels like someone should come to the house tomorrow morning to take us on another great adventure! Thanks to the whole staff at PG Tops for making our trip so special.

PGTOPS, Owner at PG Tops Travel and Tours - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your wonderful review. It was such a pleasure to host you folks, your kids ran up Lions Head like they owned the place! Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge is great for kids of their age, and Johan is a wonderful long standing team member, he never fails to disappoint.

We hope this is not your last visit to Africa! If you ever decide to come again, we have also started to offer Victoria Falls, Namibia and Botswana extensions to our returning clients.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was close to a 5 star review but 1 or 2 minor niggles make it 4 stars I'm afraid.

We were visiting the Cape Town area from the UK over the Christmas period. We have travelled quite extensively all over the world and normally do all of our touring ourselves but on this occasion thought it would be nice to have someone else do the guiding & driving for us. We wanted private tours rather than group tours and PG Tops was recommended to us by another tour guide who was fully booked. After the normal research etc. we decided to book with PG Tops based on their numerous 5* reviews despite them appearing to be a lot more expensive than some other tour companies. However I would rather pay more for what is likely to be a once in a lifetime visit.

We eventually settled on a Cape Peninsular tour including kayaking with penguins, a winelands tour and a Table Mountain/Cape Town/Robben Island tour.

The booking process from home all went very smoothly and Monade was very helpful in helping us choose what we wanted.

When we arrived in Cape Town we received an email from Lauren-Lee suggesting a couple of earlier starts because of our location, traffic in the city etc. This meant meeting our guide at 6.30am instead of 7.30am the following day which was all fine and we were pleased that she had suggested this as we didn't want to miss out on anything. The only problem was that this was not communicated to our driver/guide Omar and although he turned up at 7.00 after I had contacted him it still meant that we had been waiting around for over 30 minutes. Luckily we still made the sea kayaking in time and luckily Omar was a fantastic guide.

If doing the Cape Peninsular tour I would highly recommend the sea kayaking add on. It was extremely hard work but very, very rewarding. we had seals playing right next to our kayak and penguins swimming slightly further away. The rest of the day was also outstanding, in no small part thanks to Omar and his fantastic knowledge and great sense of humour. Also the Two Oceans restaurant that was booked for us for lunch was superb.

The full day tour of Table Mountain/Cape Town & Robben Island all felt rather rushed unfortunately. This was nothing to do with Omar, once again he was brilliant, I just think it was trying to fit too much in to too little time. We arrived at Table Mountain before they opened so that was great and once up the top we walked all the way around. It truly is breathtaking. Sadly we made the mistake of trying to get a cup of tea in the cafe before going back down. It took half an hour to get! Avoid that cafe at all costs. Admittedly this didn't help with the timings but I don't think it was the only reason that everything felt a bit rushed. We were down from the mountain by 10.00 but still had to try and fit in a tour of the city, a museum and lunch all before being at the Robben Island ferry by 12.30. We had to skip the museum and even then lunch was extremely rushed. We had to explain our urgency to the restaurant staff and thankfully, like everywhere else in the area, they were extremely accommodating. Even if we hadn't spent 30 mins in the cafe on Table Mountain there's no way we could have fitted everything in. With hindsight I would have skipped Robben Island and had more time in the city. Despite its historical significance we both found Robben island quite disappointing.

Our 3rd day was the Winelands tour. This started off fantastically when Omar arranged for us to visit the Fairview Estate and try 8 wines paired with 8 cheeses. This was highly enjoyable and we were looked after superbly. We did 2 more tastings at 2 different estates but once again everything felt slightly rushed. Lunch had been pre booked for us and as before this was an outstanding restaurant. However we were supposed to have 30/40 minutes wandering around Stellenbosch but with the other 2 wine tastings there just wasn't time for this. I would probably suggest only 2 tastings instead of 3 and some time in Franschhoek and/or Stellenbosch. We could have suggested this to Omar but didn't like to as he'd gone to so much trouble planning the day.

So overall I would definitely use PG Tops again, I would definitely use Omar again, he was lovely, but I would tweak the timings slightly.

Thank you for your review. We always strive for five star service, and I am never happy to fall just short. I do understand your sense that things were rushed - I personally suggested to the team last minute that we change your pickup times to earlier as your accommodation that you booked is quite a way out of the city, and I apologize that this was not filtered through.

I concur with your feelings about Robben Island - it is our least favourite item on our optionals menu, but it is in high demand for its historic significance. No way around it, I'm afraid. We have no control over the way they run the experience.

We run a 3 tasting protocol for wine tours, and leave it up to the guide and guests to decide how they want to run the day. A lot of guests elect to not do a third tasting, I apologise that this was not properly communicated to you as an option.

Christmas and New Years is always a challenge for us. We try to circumvent this with early starts and keeping things flexible, but all spots are very crowded and it puts our guides under a lot of pressure to keep up service levels. I am happy that Omar passed muster and apologize for the niggles!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Had 8 of us from USA in Capetown for 5 days. Used this company for every tour and airport transportation. Went to Cape of Good Hope, saw penguins, a winery, shark diving, safari and zip lining.
Pierre was our driver and guide. He was a scholar, a gentleman and an excellent driver and guide. He took us to off beat places like an apple orchard and narrated the drives with South African history and culture. He was informative, patient and understanding, never upset about bathroom or coffee stops.
If you travel to Capetown you need to use this company and INSIST on Pierre.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had three post cruise tours. Each was different and memorable:
1. Winelands
2. City Tour with Table Mountain
3. Cape Peninsula Tours

It was all very well organized from the initial prompt emails for making arrangements, dockside pickup after our cruise to hotel pick up and drop offs afterwards. The guides were friendly and knowledgable - we liked their local insights and perspectives that they shared as well. They were great ambassadors of a great country and City.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Cannot praise enough the tour given to us by Jarred. He was knowledgeable, articulate, patient and appropriate for the four of us on the tour. Highly recommend.