“Slightly Underwhelming”

Aquila Private Game Reserve
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

While I do not regret taking this tour, I agree with the others that there is some room for improvement here. Upon arrival, the reception did not have our booking although the credit card had already been charged, and requested a copy of the credit card, passport information, etc. which is already uncomfortable at a first impression. Further on, the tour guide seemed unfit for her position, did not smile once, did not speak with conviction at all, and disseminated facts that were false about the animals on the tour, including the lifespan of zebras and rhinoceroses. When a member of our group asked how much the animals are fed in kilograms, she was unable to answer this question, and responded with an "I don't know". We made a break for complimentary snacks and drinks into the tour where the tour guide told us that we would be seeing the "other animals" after the break, but it seemed like we only went back and ended the tour after our "break". I would say that it was a good opportunity to get a far away glimpse of a few animals, but certainly not up to standards for a tour of this nature.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank odollmeup

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We've just left here after 4 nights.
As it was our honeymoon we were upgraded to a balcony room and wow what a fantastic view.
Everyone at the accommodation was very kind and helpful.the rooms were clean and tidy. My only comment was that the bird poo on our balcony could of been cleaned up daily.
There was plenty of lovely food.

The safari.
I have to say this is a experience that we will never forget. I was impressed at how close we got to the animals whilst respecting their personal space. Wayne was the best ranger and knew lots about the animals. We opted for him when we could as he was very informative. The animals were amazing.
We were lucky enough to do both the horse and quad safari with Brandon and he was brilliant. He understood our fear and reassured us. His horses were extremely well trained and he took us places we couldn't go with the trucks. A BIG thank you.
From our balcony we were privileged to see the hippos going for a morning stroll.I can't belive people don't look what is around them.
Yes the trips were early mornings but this is the best time.
My advice is don't go on safari if you don't want to get up early and get a little dirty it's all part of tho fun.
A fabulous stay which will stay with us always. Thanks

Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Our family of three visited Aquila Private Game Reserve on Dec. 31, 2017 to do the Half Day Afternoon Safari. When we booked it with Connie McKenzie, agent for Aquila, we were told that the game drive would last 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Upon our revival, at the reception, we were reassured again the game drive would be 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Much to our disappointment, the game drive started at 1:45 p.m. and lasted 1 1/2 hrs, followed by a 30 min refreshment break. We saw several zebras, 2 elephants, 1 giraffe, 3 rhinos, and 1 lion head far, far in the distant rocks. In addition, our tour guide, whose first language is not English, spoke so quickly and with such a heavy accent, we couldn't understand one work he said. It cost us R$ 4172.00, not including the transportation. What a rip off!!!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2018 via mobile

My advise would be to book during the week & preferably out of the main season. We arrived on a Sunday lunchtime for our 2 night stay, and after pushing our way past a huge TourBus parked right in front of reception & the bus load of guests checking out we finally got ‘welcomed’, but no sign of the welcome drink or even a little guidance as to where the restaurant was etc.
We headed to the restaurant which definitely was a disappointment. The staff were friendly enough, but had no clue how to manage the crazy busy ‘canteen’, decor & ambiance wasn’t at all what we were expecting for the price we had paid to stay here. Towards the end of the meal the waitress brought us our drinks bill to pay - this made us feel very rushed as we were still planning on ordering more drinks to end the meal with. My husband had to go through to main reception to pay this as we hadn’t yet been allocated our room number. This was a huge performance in itself which took way too long. Later on we received a complimentary treat Platter as an apology - thanks, but the first impression was unfortunately a bad way to start.
Aquila feels like a conveyor belt of tourists being churned in & out, and being so close to Cape Town the tourists don’t know what to compare it to. Poor suckers.
Aquila isn’t cheap, but they use the cheapest simplest Game Drive Trucks possible! No suspension in sight! My 78yr old father visiting from the UK only joined us on the first out of 4 of the drives - comfort & service is key, especially with the price we paid!
Ok, I’ve painted a bad picture here, but a few of the highlights: the kids play area is great! Pool was beautiful. Food was yummy. Room was lovely & comfortable bed. Our 2nd Ranger (Wayne) was very good!
My family visiting from UK had a fantastic time, so for that we are happy & returned feeling that the trip was somewhat a success.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Just returned from an amazing trip to South Africa with my two little girls. Unfortunately the whole experience was ruined by Aquila. They totally messed up my booking made 6 months previously (wrong dates, wrong number of rooms), leaving me completely stressed and out of pocket having to make numerous phone calls to sort out the problem. To add insult to injury they put me in an apparently upgraded room, but made me pay for the upgrade, and then made me move room! Okay, they threw in a few spa treatments as a goodwill gesture, but am still out of pocket for a superior room which I never booked, and which they had to give me as they messed up my booking! Come on Aquila, do the right thing and refund me.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
#6 of 112 in Cape Town Central
Cape Royale Luxury Hotel
#54 of 112 in Cape Town Central
1 577 reviews

Been to Aquila Private Game Reserve? Share your experiences!