“India Venster Hike”

Hike Table Mountain
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hike Table Mountain is an owner-operated mountain guiding business specializing in hikes and climbs on Table Mountain and around Cape Point. A passion for nature and mountains coupled with a commitment to service excellence lies at the heartbeat of what we do, ensuring you get the ultimate mountain experience. Run by qualified, accredited, attentive and highly-experienced mountain guides. All hikes and climbs are customized to suit your level of fitness and sense of adventure. We are the only guiding company offering hikes up all routes on Table Mountain. Whether you are a first-time hiker or seasoned trekker, adrenalin junky or nature lover, we make sure you get the experience you are looking for.
Reviewed 15 March 2017

What a fantastic hike this was. Mike Wakeford was our guide and his knowledge of the history and the fauna/flora of the area on top of his climbing expertise made for an unforgettable experience.
The fact that it was a clear day with no wind (or fires) to worry about made it all the more satisfying.
Thank you for the experience and helping us choose the best route according to our abilities and fitness levels.

All reviews
"the india venster route"
in 110 reviews
in 13 reviews
"fitness levels"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 15 March 2017

I cannot express enough how amazing this experience is for those visiting Cape Town! It is worth each rand. I chose the "easier route", Platteklip Gorge. But don't let the term easy fool you. I run three times a week and lift weights, but the route still challenged me. It may be easier compared to the other hikes, but the Platteklip Gorge hike is definitely physically demanding, so don't underestimate it. My guide picked me up at my hotel and dropped me off there after the hike. It's an early morning hike (starts at 6:30 a.m.) to avoid hot temperatures (at around 7:30/8 a.m. it started to get warm at the mountain). Bring at least 1.5 liters of water, snacks, medication (if needed), etc.

I went by myself, but joined a group with two couples. I had Liesl as my guide and she was absolutely wonderful! Very knowledgable about the mountain's history and I could tell safety was a high priority for her. She consistently checked on everyone in the group to make sure they were feeling okay. She also offered to take photos for everyone. Honestly, it seems like each guide from this company has impressive credentials. I think it's important to use a guide to hike Table Mountain because the terrain is challenging. It's not straight-forward as one might think, so using a guide ensures safety. Plus you learn so much more by using a guide.

The last 15-20 minutes of the hike are very difficult, but once you make it to the top, you feel so accomplished! The views are exquisite and breathtaking! We then took the cable car down. The Table Mountain hike was the highlight of my trip to Cape Town. So rewarding. Do it!

Reviewed 14 March 2017

My wife and I hiked up the India Venster route with our fun guide Darren! My wife had been in contact with this company, mainly Riaan, who helped select this route for us based on fitness level and our quest for adventure. When we arrived the morning of the hike and met Darren, he reassured us of our ability to complete this hike. India Venster is challenging, with scrambling involved, but so worth it and so fun. The views at the top were incredible and we felt like we earned them because we hiked to the top. This is NOT a mountain I would attempt to hike with a guide, so we were very grateful for the safe hike we accomplished with Darren.

Reviewed 7 March 2017

Riaan was our guide and he was amazing. Great energy, funny stories and helpful with the hiking and scrambling. There is no better way to experience table mountain. Also he gave great activity and restaurant recommendations.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 March 2017

Highly recommend Hike Table Mountain (and our fabulous, chatty guide, Hendre) to guide you up India Venster! This is a somewhat challenging hike with some parts that require scrambling and other parts that aren't well marked, so I'm glad we took a guide. We had gorgeous views the entire way up to the top of Table Mountain, and barely saw any other hikers, which makes it much more special than the Plateklipp Gorge route (or so I've been told). I do think it is a bit pricey and that at least snacks should be provided for that price (we had to wait for the winds to die down in order to take the gondola down, so it was a long day for a few granola bars we packed), but otherwise super pleased with our day.