“Corkage up from 35 rand to 100 rand. Step too far”
Review of Cafe Manhattan

Cafe Manhattan
Ranked #329 of 1 182 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: European, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This iconic eating, meeting and chilling spot is the longest standing venue in the heart of de Waterkant village and has been a firm favourite with locals and tourists alike. Whether your intention is a quick bite to eat, a cheeky afternoon cocktail on the terrace, or a late night rendezvous in the bar, at this welcoming venue anything could happen... Saddle up and take a ride!
Reviewed 7 July 2016

Used to eat here twice a week, although the food is generally burgers, they are tasty. However we have noticed the service is quickly going downhill, most of the usual staff seemed to have left. Very slow service and once we were even forgotten about. Sat there for 40 minutes. It was because non of the waiters had been given our table in their section. However the reason I've given a thumbs down is because last night we arrived and was told the corkage had gone up from 35 to 100 rand, bit extortionate, and although the food isn't too bad, on top of the increasingly bad and slow service, its a thumbs down. However they did us a great service as we went somewhere else and found a great Italian restaurant at Cape Royale, which we will defiantly go back to. So thanks to Manhattan for getting us out of the routine of coming to you twice a week and resulting is us finding a much better place to eat. Maybe Manhattan should just be a bar and not a restaurant.

6  Thank harvestmouse2

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

I am so dissappointed as me and my friend visit this restaurant so often and always rave about how good the atmosphere is and how amazing their chocolate chilli burgers are. After suggesting it to them we decided to make a day of it. We were 7 people in total and from start to finish was one bad thing on top of another. We were told that the reason we wait 15 minutes for a beer is because they only have 1 barman. That should not be my problem. Then our burgers took ages again but we didn't mind since we knew the chocolate chilli burgers are worth the wait... only to discover they don't have it! We were given burgers with only chocolate sauce. Tasted terrible! We waited for the manager to bring us real chocolate chilli sauce as they are busy making it. He said we will have to wait 5 minutes for it. We were happy to wait. 20 minutes later we just couldn't wait any longer and had to eat our cold burgers with no sauce. The manager came along after the 20 minute wait and said that it takes longer now and he can't give it. I am so extremely sad about this cause now I have to search the Cape for a new restaurant that serves chocolate chilli sauce.

5  Thank Francois M
Reviewed 8 June 2016

Cafe Manhattan is a fun place right in the middle of the Waterkant Village. The food is great, the staff friendly (and dressed in crazy costumes!). I'd recommend getting a burger.

Reviewed 24 May 2016

I believe it opens around 10 am so it's not a breakfast place. The action begins later at night. The food is very good, prices are very reasonable, the service is fast and very friendly. You can sit inside and outside. Very popular with gay crowd and younger folks in general.

Reviewed 24 May 2016 via mobile

Sitting on the fence here.

I come here often, enjoy relaxing with friends, but have not eaten here in two months: why? Have spoken to management and they have not addressed the concerns. Hence you only see me for drinks.

I don't dislike the venue, it can be better though. The drop has been noticeable since the end of December 2015.

So many good been made here, don't allow me to make memories elsewhere...

2  Thank Stiaan