“Not feeling welcome”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Ashgrove Villa
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This accomodation doesn't have the right attitude towards guests staying there.

First of all the room looked nice but then I heard one night noises and found a cockroach between the mattress and the other day I saw one on the cupboard. I didn't feel comfortable at all to sleep half a meter from it. There was dirt on the cupboard and inside the drawers and cockroaches like dirt. A guest expects his room to be clean. I told the housekeeping girls to take care of that but one cockroach was still there on my last day.
But to start of with the day of my arrival - the lady said that she will be not there when I arrive. When I tried to ring her again 5 minutes later because I was worried who will let me in the next day after arriving, only the voicemail answered. She didn't ring back.

So when I arrived at the Villa and nobody was there to let me in!!! I also hadn’t a Southafrican mobile number at that time yet, I asked the taxi driver for his mobile and called a friend (I didn’t know her personally, she is a friend of a friend) who lives in Blouberg (half an hour from Ashgrove Villa) if I could stay that night at her place.
So I had again cab expenses from 250 Rand to be driven to her place. And the next day she had to drive me back to Ashgrove Villa on her expenses. When I asked the owner of my accomodation to give me a discount for that first night because I didn't sleep in my booked room she argued with me. In the end she gave me that discount.
Another aspect which should be considered is that the pictures shown on the booking page are as well pictures from the balcony above and other private areas of the owners. So that is unfortunate because I got interested in that place at the time of booking because of that nice balcony and had hoped to sit there as well which was not the case.
At the time of my arrival the room was really hot, there was no fan, the flush of the toilet made a lot of noises and the door to the bathroom urgently needs some oil to close quietly.
In the end if you have another option for a nice stay, I strongly recommend another place for your accomodation where you get the feeling of being welcomed!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Martina H
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here for one night, and that was enough.

We arrived, admittedly, on a last minute booking, to collect the keys for our room and drop our stuff off before heading out on one of the hottest days of our stay (~34C). We were just about greeted by the maid, who, on us entering the room and declaring it a furnace with no aircon nor an overhead fan, said she would go and get a standup fan.

We returned to the room later on that evening and were disappointed to see that the fan hadn't turned up and the room was BAKING. Cue a night alternating between cool showers and lying under damp towels to keep out temperatures down, with the fridge door open in a vain attempt to try and lower the room temperature - a rubbish night's sleep.

The room, as a bedroom was fine, but there was no little touches, which make the price worth paying - no information about breakfast, the guesthouse, the elusive pool, how to contact the owner in an emergency, no bottled water or anything to enhance our stay. It was really disappointing.

We emerged the next morning tired and in search of sustenance. Eventually my boyfriend bumped into the owner, who informed him that breakfast was available upstairs and asked when could he pay. We journeyed up there to find some bits and pieces laid out - again, no warm welcome or instruction to help ourselves, no offer of tea or coffee just another request for the R850 (which, we paid without question - damn our Britishness!!).

I would only recommend this place if you were preparing to act as the Devil in your next amdram performance.

Really poor hospitality.