“Quality Quality Quality”

Il Leone Mastrantonio
Ranked #34 of 1 207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: During our recent visit to Cape Town, we ate at this restaurant on the strong recommendation from the owner of our hotel. He was right! Very good good, BYOB nad great staff and a very friendly efficnet waitress. great food...highly recommended
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I've just read a few reviews on Leone's which were not positive and I want to say I'm shocked at some of the comments. Many of the comments come from folks who do not say where they live, so I'm suspicious. I live in Cape Town in the CBD for 6 months of each year and eat out nightly and have become familiar with many of the best CT restaurants.

Please, anyone reading the negative reviews, look at the overall 4.5 TA rating and take it from me, this is one of the best restaurants for value and quality in CT. Arrive in your vehicle, be greeted outside by Nick, enter and be welcomed by Claudia, and be seated for an excellent meal.

Pay no attention to the few negative reviews; I eat at Leone's weekly and for one reason only, Leone's is excellent!

1  Thank ENZOD1

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’d really looked forward to my visit here and thought it’d be a great place to celebrate my husbands 40th birthday. The Congolese car guard was friendly and welcoming as was the host at the front, that was where it ended. The waitress (eve) asked us 3 times in the first 5 minutes for our order, really rushing us. She didn’t let us know the specials. I asked her recommendations and she said she didn’t know.
There is a wine list but no other drinks list and as I cannot drink alcohol I asked for a non-alcoholic cocktail. The waitress didn’t know what I was talking about (lack of training) so called the barman who also has poor communication and was not listening to my questions properly. Anyway he came back with an acceptable drink. I was glad for that because that was the only drink we were offered.
When our food arrived, we were even more let down. It is quite hard to mess up lamb chops but your chef succeeded. I was quite glad I haven’t had too much morning sickness as I would definitely have projectile vomited on the first bite of the seafood pasta. The calamari was definitely turning.
No one came to check if our food was okay, if we were happy with our meal or if anything was wrong. There was not even a question if we enjoyed our meal or perhaps why I had left half of it. Our plates were taken and we were immediately asked if we wanted desert, clearly get that they were trying to get rid of us so we decided to go somewhere more pleasant for desert.
The quality of their food certainly does not deserve the prices they charge and at R48 for a 750ml of water (almost on par with water in Venice) it’s a tad ridiculous, add the terrible unfriendly service, this is certainly not a place I’d recommend or ever go back. Thankfully my husbands birthday evening was saved as we went and had drinks and desert at One and Only which was exceptional and they valued us being there.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We found this place because we wanted a nice italian meal and it passed our expectations. The service was very good, we were shown promptly to our table and the waitress gave us a good wine recommendation.
The food was delicious and the ambiance of the place was very nice.
Prices are good for the quality of the food and service so you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

Very nice. I found it pricey for South Africa. Burrata was small and was London priced.

Veal for main was good and seafood pasta was lovely.

Reviewed 18 January 2018 via mobile

When I ask locals in Cape Town where can I have some good italian food mostly they say Il Leone.

People in Cape Town love good wine, good food and good service.
So they should know.

My third visit at Il Leone will be my last.

Our waitress was very nice. The Pinot Grigio was ok.

I think We had the worst starter for a
very long time. Grillled asparagus with cheese. Our waitress said it was a speciality. I can admit it was special but not a speciality.

The pasta for main was very average.

I would recommend the chefs to go to Italy for some inspiration.