“A one of a kind Japanese experience”
Review of Kyoto Garden Sushi

Kyoto Garden Sushi
Ranked #249 of 1 207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: http://maps.google.co.za/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=kyoto+garden+sushi+cape+town&fb=1&gl=za&hq=kyoto+garden+sushi&hnear=Cape+Town&cid=108047996560887617
Reviewed 21 September 2017

Absolutely wonderful all round.
Last night a friend and I dined at Kyoto and I can say that we were extremely impressed. The restaurants overall feel is very warm and intimate and the decor is stunning and the attention to detail is noteworthy.

When we arrived we were welcomed by our host and once seated we were presented with the wine list and the option of either the standard menu or the winter special menu which we chose. The wine list is small but diverse- Reyneke Wines is on their list- a lovely organic wine which is unusual to have in a restaurant.The winter special started off with edamame beans which are a personal favourite along with a little seaweed chip- delicious and something different.

To start we ordered the tempura vegetables and the tuna tartare. The tempura was wonderful – crunchy but not too greasy and beautifully presented. They used a variety of different vegetables which allowed for a contrast of flavours and it was well complimented by the ginger dipping sauce. The tuna was however the winning starter, the veggies could not compare! The seasoning was fantastic and the flavours were incredible - overall it was a perfect dish.

For our main course, we both had the Udon noodles with duck. This was presented beautifully in a bowl and to be eaten with chopsticks and accompanied with a wooden spoon for the broth. Another incredible flavour sensation, the noodles were cooked perfectly however I only wish that there was a little bit more of the duck. The highlight for me personally was the broth, thank goodness for the spoon as I finished every drop!

For dessert, we tried both the cherry blossom and black sesame seed ice creams. Once again, they were delicious. The cherry blossom was the sweeter of the two and accompanied with chocolate coated goji berries. The black sesame seed ice cream was different but worked well and the flavour of the sesame seed was perfectly balanced and not too overwhelming.

The meal was finished off with roasted rice tea, served in Japanese cups. Rice tea was new to both of us but I loved the unusual taste. Overall, we had a fantastic evening, the service was excellent, food was spectacular and we will definitely be back!

Reviewed 16 September 2017

Delicious japanese food served in a warm comfortable restaurant. Very well thought out menu - the seafood soup is to die for its so authentic. Sushi bar is also there overseen by a Japanese chef. I visited twice it was that good!!

6  Thank BurySt_EdmundsTrevor
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I walk into this empty room, there is another empty room on my right, clearly we are the first two people to enter for dinner. I am greeted by an Asian looking coloured lady with a gorgeous smile as well as a friendly bar tender. The music and decor could not be anymore appropriate or approved in my opinion.

I was seated, offered still or sparkling water, I just wanted wine, give me the damn wine - LOL. A tall gentlemen by the name of Geoffery was out host for the evening, Winter Set menu was selected - This consists of a starter, a main and dessert as well as a complimentary glass of wine. We selected a bottle of Shiraz too as I explained I enjoy red wine.

They brought me a sea weed as a snack... I want a 40m x 40m roll of this Sea Weed snack because it's is absolutely incredible! Shortly after Tuna Tartar - Raw tuna infused with spring onions, purple cabbage and Japanese spices was thrown in front of me and I swallowed it whole, licking the plate, not really but it was bloody delicious. I must say Geoffery gave us a thorough explanation on everything that was presented to us. All of a sudden the room was full - there were 4 other couples and a table of 8 as well as the bar area being packed. I was tipsy and being loud as I always am and respectful to say the least.

I feel as though nowadays people get a bit lost with the ambience and cuisines that are on offer in certain restaurants - they either are too extreme or don't match - but Kyoto most importantly made me feel as though I was in Japan - the everything was great. Next was Kingklip, I have a real love for fish and a piece of Kingklip is the Kingpin of fish.

My partner threw her duck sauce all over herself - no idea why she would do that because it tasted even better than my tantalizing fish. The Duck is heavenly. I would bath in the sauce if I could. I do not have a sweet tooth but I was delivered a plate of ice cream with poppy seeds It was eaten and finished in 2,4 seconds.

To top the evening off, I was privileged enough to meet the owner AKA Scott who was all hands on deck in ensuring the smooth operation of an incredible establishment. Thank you, I will be sure to return soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

We were soaked to our skin and my grand daughter said to us "We can't go in there, it is too fancy". We opened the door and were warmly welcomed and had a wonderful delicate meal.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

We booked for the three course winter special at R200 pp. What a disappointment! The tuna tartare starter was tasteless. The tempura was good. The two main courses: ramen noodkrs with duck - the duck was poor quality. The other main - fish with spicy rice as awful. Stale fish and stale rice. We took it home and threw it away the next day..

Eamon M, Guest relations. at Kyoto Garden Sushi, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Hi Reddy,
Thank you for the feedback. But we're bemused. Have you got the right restaurant? Maybe you ate somewhere else, and got us confused with that place? I ask because you write that you had a 3 course winter special for R200, and fish with spicy rice, and ramen 'noodkrs'. Well our special is R220, and for that you get edamame beans to start, and a starter, mains and dessert, with a glass of wine and green tea to finish. We don't do 'spicy rice', it's simply not on the menu. As for the 'stale fish and stale rice' and 'poor quality duck' we have to take issue. Our duck is supplied by Wild Peacock and is the best in the country. Was it your first time? Our fish is supplied fresh by Southern Cross Seafood, the best in the Western Cape, and the rice is prepared freshly, batch by batch, by a sushi master, all the way from Tokyo; Koshi Koyama San. Then you say you actually took the food home and threw it in the trash the next day? What a waste. Don't you have a cat that you could have fed it to?