“Lovely 5 course tasting menu”

La Mouette Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 1 288 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: La Mouette Restaurant opened in 2010 by Chef and co-owner Henry Vigar, his wife, Mari and their business partner Gerrit Bruwer. La Mouette offers seasonally inspired and modern food. With ever-changing and seasonally inspired menus, friendly staff and a beautiful and unique venue, La Mouette has become a firm favorite with locals and regulars as well as established itself as a return go-to for our international guests. We look forward to welcoming you soon!
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

The three of us were glad we opted for the 5 course menu as the portions are quite small but oh so very good.

I can thoroughly recommend the fillet of beef & rib, pure delight & cooked to perfection.
None of us have a sweet tooth so we all had the cheese option which was very good & unusual with a mixture of crumbled cheese with a soft/cream cheese.

As one of us was driving we decided to choose our own wines by the glass & managed to chose some of the same as per their pairing but sharing the 250ml between three. Perfect!

We left comfortably full & satisfied.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 678)

118 - 122 of 1 678 reviews

Reviewed 10 January 2018

Was looking forward to an awesome lunch after reading great reviews. Was told to book a table as it was very busy and managed to get one at 2:30pm. arrived at an almost empty place and a tapas menu. Which apparently is on offer on weekends lunchtime.And this I wasn't told.Too late to leave. And yes, it was delicious. A bit on the expensive small side (even for tapas). Service was intermittent but nice. Left with the impression I could have eaten elsewhere better and a lot cheaper. ONLY saving grace, the best dessert I have had in a long time... Strawberry strawberry strawberry in all its form.

La Mouette R, Owner at La Mouette Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Dear Negroni68

We are sorry to hear that you felt our offering to be disappointing - we only always aim to please.

Our tapas only lunches have been running exclusively since the end of October and we are sorry that this was not communicated to you. In terms of the food itself - again we are sorry that you felt the offering lacking. Our menus are constantly changing and seasonally inspired and we always try our best to serve not only great value for money but tasty, delicious food as well.

I have passed your comments on to the chef and we thank you for taking the time to write a review. Constructive criticism is always welcome so that we can continue to strive for better service delivery.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your dessert - thank you for letting us know.

Kind regards
Mari and team

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

We decided on the 5 course taster menu and beware..... the servings are small.

However, you get a glass of wine with each serving and you WILL feel full at the end of the night.

A real taste sensation as far as most of us were concerned. Two of our party were a little underwhelmed but my 5 star rating is for my own personal experience.

Delicious!!!!! Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Had a great night out at this fine establishment! Friendly staff, delicious food, fantastic wine pairing! Decent portions and well thought out dishes. (if I HAD TO change something, I would prefer a sour balance rather than bitter with the milk and honey dessert - just a personal preference) Will be back soon!!

Reviewed 6 January 2018

We spent New Year's Eve at La Mouette - we were there for six hours from 630 to 12:30 AM. The food was inventive and delicious - but not too fussy - and the service attentive, but not overbearing. For example on the appetizer menu "snacks" I tased the best raw oyster I had ever had, and the chefs also prepared a seafood savory panna cotta, which was also sublime. At midnight the staff handed out sparklers, and we wished our table of 11 well - and then as a surprise, everybody in the whole restaurant started hugging everybody else and wishing them happy new year. I was not quite prepared for this generosity of spirit, and it truly made our experience a spontaneously sweet memory!