“Book Launch - Jo Marsh, Fearlessly Free To Be Me”
Review of Manna Epicure

Manna Epicure
Ranked #33 of 1 194 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The passionately-crafted menu reflects a synthesis of French and South African cuisines for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Open 7 days a week.
Reviewed 5 June 2024 via mobile

Manna Epicure was the perfect venue for my dear friend and author, Jo Marsh’s launch of her book ~ Fearlessly Free To Be Me.

Agnès and her team worked seamlessly to ensure the morning was a great success. From their delicious coffee and pastries to their African-French cuisine we had for lunch, I highly recommend popping in and trying ME for yourself. You won’t be disappointed!

Thank you Agnès and team for your part in making this a very special and memorable event.

Date of visit: June 2024

Reviewed 25 March 2024

I was there recently (2 times) on sundays for a late breakfast
First visit
Sit inside, order taken, juice served.
Then a wait of around 45 min...
Meantime, I found very weird that some clients were complaining loudly and asking "Where is my food ? When is it coming to the table ?"
As I had never experienced that at Manna Epicure, I thought that may be there's a problem and they are solving it. I was wrong.
After the 45 min, a waiter came to the table and asked if I wanted anything else.
I just replied "if possible, the food".
After 10 min, a gentleman, which I presume would be the manager, came to tell me they were busy in kitchen serving a big table (they're doing only that for the 45 min I was waiting ... ) and I would have to wait some more time, "may be around 15 min..."
I decided to cancel the order and did, what some other clients did. I left.
I found some of the guests that also left in another restaurant and they told me they had to wait for more than me and were never served.
It never happened to me in any of my previous visits (either at current location or @ Kloof ), even when all tables were occupied to have to wait for so long...

Second time, also on a sunday, also for a late breakfast.
On the closed terrace only with one table occupied, inside 2 tables. No tables with any sign "reserved".
Was very well welcomed by a new waiter
Asked him if I could sit at one specific table and was replied yes
I placed the drinks order and... after 5 min, the waiter came back telling me that apart 2 small window tables all others were booked and so I had to move...
As my previous experience was so bad when house was full or almost full, I decided to go elsewhere.

I must say that I was at Manna Epicure frequently (@ Kloof and at this new address), and since my first visit, I considered it as a very good if not one of the best options for breakfast & light meals at Cape Town.
A very friendly and efficient service.
Something has changed...
Unfortunately for worst.

Date of visit: March 2024
Agnes Cape Town, Owner at Manna Epicure, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2024

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your valuable feedback, I know exactly who you are, you have been coming to manna for years!
I will never forget that disastrous Sunday, we were 2 staff short in the kitchen and at about 12pm we got an electrical fault and the whole kitchen was in the dark!
We had a group of 30 people for lunch and with only 2 Chefs in the kitchen, it turned out to be a disaster, the electrician was not able to come out soon enough, I closed the restaurant at 15h that day...

I am so sorry we couldn't get your food out, I am sure you could figure out, something unusual was happening as you were a regular patron and this never happened.

With regards to this Sunday, we also had a group reservation, they requested the deck so unfortunately yes, you couldn't sit just anywhere although the place looked empty when you came in.
The waiter was absent minded and let you sit at one of the tables we needed for that big group. I am very sorry, as you pointed out, he is new... He will learn.
You have been to manna many times when the place was full, you had a bad experience once over the past 10 to 15 years you have been supporting us and that's what you chose to base your decision of leaving by fear of getting slow service again and chose to write a review about that one time....
It is a pity.

Have a beautiful day.

Reviewed 22 March 2024

Staff were very good, so friendly and chatty, excellent service.
The gnocchi was probably the best gnocchi I’ve ever had, cooked so well and the flavours were great. Good wine, nice atmosphere, lovely place!

Reviewed 7 March 2024 via mobile

We were badly let down by a restaurant close by and wandered in quite by chance. Don’t be put off by the slightly rickety front steps, the kitchen inside is worth the trip. We had a simple lunch of calamari (delicious) and chips (just the best in a long time). I thought we could have shared the platter but actually we polished off the lot, including a pretty salad and green beans with little fried shallots. The service was delightful and the chef brought the food to the table with a smile and a flourish. We were very pleased with our serendipitous meal.

Reviewed 29 February 2024

We walked to this restaurant on our first night in Cape Town and were delightfully surprised. Upon recommendation, we ordered chateaubriand for two and it was delicious!! It’s a relaxed atmosphere with attentive service and a varied menu.The staff was personable.and knowledgeable. We returned several times, including our last night, and enjoyed the escargot, monkfish, and even kudu. It became our favorite restaurant.

Date of visit: January 2024