“Great Location, Excellent Food & a Vibrant Atmosphere”

Rick's Cafe Americain
Ranked #45 of 1 192 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: R 90 - R 220
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Bowl
Description: So... Here is looking at you kid." Walking into Rick's Café Américain has the same feeling as walking into a friend’s home for dinner. We are situated in the heart of cosmopolitan Cape Town on Kloof Street in a charming 135-year-old Victorian building, decorated in a style reminiscent of the 1942 movie classic “Casablanca” … The menu presents a seasonal selection of Global Tapas and a wide variety of dishes ranging from mouthwatering Salads, Gourmet Burgers, fresh Seafood, mature Prime Steaks and Moroccan and Mediterranean Specialties - "we serve Comfort food" So come relax and enjoy yourself with either lunching on the Balcony, sipping sundowners on the roof terrace or enjoy a delicious meal inside this historical buildings restaurant, and we will guarantee you'll want to "play it again.”
Reviewed 18 February 2024

I selected Rick's having seen it listed as one of the top 15 rooftop bars/eateries and, with a Wedding Anniversary to celebrate I could think of nowhere better, given the view and also the cuisine, which was something my wife had never experienced. The Cape Town evening traffic was kind to us and we arrived slightly ahead of schedule with our table waiting for us. As we passed the first 2 floors, on our way to the rooftop bar, it was obvious that the place was popular. The waiters were attentive and soon we had ordered our drinks. Now was the fun bit, selecting what we were going to eat. Despite mulling over the menu at our apartment for the past few days, we were still undecided but decided to avoid the international cuisine and go with the theme. Seafood Tajine for my wife and Lamb Shank Tajine for myself. I had been finding it difficult to choose between that and the Kefta & Tomato Tajine but a quick exchange with the waiter made up my mind. The food took a while to arrive but that is a good sign of it not being sat there waiting to be reheated. We were both very pleased with our choices and also managed to exchange a mouthful of each others dishes between us to experience a different dish. with the Jalapeño Poppers as a starter and a main course for each of us there was no room for dessert, without making the stomach too full, and spoiling the meal. One nice touch was the availability of a blanket for those sitting outside, which the wife took full advantage of. The temperature had dropped a few degrees and there was a little bit of a breeze building so having the blanket maintained her comfort level. The rooftop bar was still very busy when we left, which led top a delay in getting the bill and paying but, considering how busy they staff were and the amount of people eating and drinking there it was understandable and didn't detract from an excellent evening. On the way down I did notice that the first 2 floors, which had been very busy when we arrived, were deserted, unlike the rooftop bar so; If you come past Rick's after 9:30pm and think it is dead, try going up to the rooftop bar because it certainly won't be. Would I recommend people trying out the place, certainly. The food and drinks menu is available online for download, which is a great help in deciding if the cuisine is something people would like to try. I'd suggest booking ahead if you want to secure a table at the rooftop, especially outside. They have a very good and simple to use booking system which sends confirmation, reminders and a gentle nudge on the day to confirm the booking. All in all a great experience and memorable evening

Date of visit: February 2024
1  Thank Richard H
Management response:Responded 24 March 2024

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a glowing review of your dining experience at our restaurant. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your meal and found our service to be exceptional. It means a lot to us to receive such positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2024

Quite possibly the worst restraunt experience I've ever had in any city, incl Paris and that says a lot. We booked for 7h30pm for our anniversary. We arrived on time and waited for 15 mins while the waiters could not find our table. Noone offered us a drink. Finally seated and ordered the house cocktail for my wife and a beer each. Cocktail arrived at 8h45pm after asking them 4 times. By 9pm we had no food even though we ordered starters. Sat in the dark - could not read the menu. No ambient music outside. Eventually starters arrived around 9h15 and we just canceled our mains and left. To be fair the starters were tasty. Will never go back - too many better options available up and down the street

Date of visit: February 2024
Management response:Responded 1 April 2024

Dear Jason
Your complain has some merit and it sounds a little bit like Faulty towers but definitely not like a Ricks café experience. Let me first apologize for your rather disappointing anniversary dinner.
. I believe from speaking to my restaurant manager that you initially requested to sit on our roof terrace, which was unfortunately already fully booked, and someone was occupying your table on the Balcony without having a reservation. After realising that someone occupied your table my manager tried to get you a table on the deck first (therefore the 10 min waiting time) After trying to move tables around to accommodate your request regretfully we only could give you the now available table on the balcony,
. You did arrive with the start of loadshedding, (yesterday from 20H00 – 22H00 – during our busiest time of the day) we do not have space for generators on our premises (heritage villa) we operate with lots of lithium battery banks during Eskom black outs, but this comes with some drawbacks as we have during Loadshedding no 3 phase electricity available for the kitchen. (this means no convection oven and deep fryer) which may delay some of the food orders. (your fish cakes starter for instant.) So sorry for the extra wait.
Most of our customers are fortunately very aware of the South African phenomena called Loadshedding and that there may be some delays when ordering food during black outs.! All our lights, computers music systems TV’s etc etc are connected to Batteries and therefore fully functioning during Black outs. I’m very sorry that you couldn’t read the menu, but you were sitting right below one of our outside lights. Unfortunately, the extra light from the street lanterns on Kloof street are not available during Eskom black outs.
Some of our cocktails may take some time as we don’t use any premixes and do each cocktail the traditional way. Squeeze lemons a la minute. etc. But this is no excuse, as no cocktail takes 45 min ever, even during rush hour. As I been made aware, your wife ordered the cocktail with another waiter while waiting for the table, this Strawberry Cream Margarita order did unfortunately not get communicated to your waiter,
Am so sorry but we work with humans and sometimes they make mistakes. “Errare humanum est”
You stormed out and when asked by my management what the problem may be, you only stated "worst experience ever., And without explaining to what the problem was? .."
We always try our best to please all our customers, it's very sad when we fail with some guests. We don’t often get complaints and when we get one, we do react immediately to make sure any shortcomings are rectified immediately to the total satisfaction of our customers. Regrettably, you did not alert any of my managers as we could have sorted out any problems there and then. But I must admit that it is sometimes impossible to please everybody.
So sorry that we could not help you with a table on our very popular roof terrace and so sorry that the loadshedding delayed your orders to the point that you wanted to cancel the mains - which were at this time already on the way from the kitchen to your table.
I hope you join us soon again and you will realize that you gave us the “terrible “rating in error.

.” But then we always have Paris” …
(Rick Blair Quote in the 1942 movie classic Casablanca)
Have a great day
Per & Team

Reviewed 19 December 2023

The food was delicious and Allan made our experience amazing. Such an attentive staff, great views and we will definitely be back.

Date of visit: December 2023
1  Thank Georgie178
Reviewed 19 November 2023 via mobile

Fantastic local find in Cape Town. Great cocktails, 3 hour happy hour 3-6pm. Food was great, the mussels were a treat, fresh and tasty.

Date of visit: November 2023
2  Thank debrab587
Reviewed 6 November 2023

Great view, cocktails were fantastic & fabulous value if you go for happy hour. The food was superb and our server Alan couldn’t have been better. I’d recommending booking if you want a roof top table with the view over Table Mountain as space limited on terrace.

Date of visit: November 2023
2  Thank Hargreavesfamily
Management response:Responded 24 March 2024

I wanted to express my immense gratitude for your kind words in the recent review you wrote about our restaurant. Your positive feedback means the world to us, and we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. We hope to continue exceeding your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back soon.