“good food and service”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Bowl
Description: Walking into Rick's Cafe has the same feeling as walking into a friend's home for dinner. The ambiance is comfortable to say the least with decor reminiscent of the movie classic "Casablanca" with its stylish colonial Moroccan tones accompanied by lounge music filtering through the 100 year old Victorian building,Immerse yourself in warm ambiance and eclectic decor in our 80 seater restaurant with its 3 fireplaces and bar, or enjoy the relaxed, vibey loft lounge and cocktail bar spilling out onto a roof deck with breathtaking views of the mountains.Our award winning selection of wines is sure to suit all tastes and features a wide selection by the carafe, we also offer a wide variety of local and imported Beers (now over 40!), Mexican and local Tequilas, Vodkas,Single Malts, Bourbons and Liquors. The menu presents a seasonal selection of Global tapas and a wide variety of dishesranging from mouth watering salads, Gourmet burgers, fresh seafood, matured Steaks and Moroccan and Mediterranean specialties - "we serve Comfort food" So come relax and enjoy yourself with either lunching on the veranda, sipping sundownerson the roof deck or enjoy a delicious meal inside this historical cottage, and we will guarantee you'll want to "play it again" We all look for that place to recommend as being "my favourite place", well in this case you might just have found it."So... Here is looking at you kid."
SAO PAULO
“good food and service”
Reviewed 9 April 2017

A place where you can be amongst locals. Nice food. Delicious hot spicy lamb, tough a bit too hot to air with wine. Good wine list. The only drawback is that there're far too many tables. Wonderful atmosphere.

Visited March 2017
percapetown, Owner at Rick's Cafe Americain, responded to this review, 15 April 2017
Dear Maria C
Thank you for choosing our Restaurant, and for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Rick’s cafe. We look forward to welcoming you again at Rick’s Cafe in the near future.
Kind regards Per & Team

Oslo, Norway
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

Found this on tripadvisor and agree with the reviews.
Food is delicious, prices are reasonable, service is great and a great beer menu.

Visited April 2017
2 Thank Marius P
percapetown, Owner at Rick's Cafe Americain, responded to this review, 10 April 2017
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
It is always great to receive some kind words of appreciation, as it serves as a great motivational tool for the team. I hope we can welcome you soon again
kind regards
Cape Town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place”
Reviewed 29 March 2017

We stumbled onto this place and were very glad we did. The premise is very enticing, and it is well executed without being overdone. There are numerous areas to the restaurant, making for large capacity but maintaining coziness. The menu is varied, and the items we had were delicious and presented well. The smoked crocodile, springbok tajine, burgers and desserts that our party ordered were all amazing.

Our waiter seemed to perhaps be new or having an off day. He was polite and answered questions about the menu, but he did not engage in any conversation or smile. Service was very slow (we never saw him hurry), and the appetizer took a long time to arrive. A bit later, he asked if we were ready for our entrées, but it was about 20 minutes more before they came out. In all, we spent nearly two hours there without really lingering. I'm rating the service accordingly, but I'm giving the restaurant the benefit of the doubt that this was some sort of fluke, so I am not factoring it into the overall rating.

I will happily go back to Rick's again, and I suspect that I'll find the service closer in quality to the rest of the experience.

• Visited March 2017
1 Thank happytummy850
Dear happytummy850
Thank you so much for your kind words and the time you took to share them with us.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed our Food.
Le me please apologize on behalf of my waiter, this is definitely not our usual service standard. I have used your review at our latest Staff Training, as an example how not to serve patrons.
Thank you so much for your understanding and patience.
All the best and looking forward welcoming you when you visit Cape Town again.
Per & Rick's Team
Cape Town
“Lunch”
Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

Beautiful setting and food made with care. Delicious!
The rooibos smoked pork neck in hoisin burger with coleslaw and crispy fries... memorable and something different.

Visited March 2017
1 Thank Sarah E
Dear Sarah E
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice Moroccan ambience”
Reviewed 28 March 2017

If you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere with good food, this is one to visit, with the look and feel of Casablanca once inside. We ate twice here while in Cape Town since it was walking distance from our guest house, plus it was recommended to us by hostess.The food was an eclectic mix of North African specialties like tagines as well as the more characteristic South African flavors of ostrich, springbok and crocodile (carpaccio). Unfortunately we were seated next to a very noisy American on our first visit, but we can hardly fault the restaurant for that. I had the ostrich burger which was delicious although not really distinguishable from beef. My husband had the crocodile and pronounced it OK - I tasted it too and found the smoky flavor, while nice, overwhelmed the natural flavor of the meat.

The second time we ate there was not quite as good. A mistake by the server meant I had a chicken tagine brought to the table instead of the springbok one I had ordered. However, the manager very swiftly dealt with the mistake and quickly replaced it with the correct dish. Again, it would be hard for me to say that springbok tastes any different to beef, but what do I know.

My husband is gluten free and seemed to have no trouble finding options on the menu. The first night we had excellent service, the second was so-so. Wines were nice and good value compared to UK or US. My margarita seemed a bit watery - I would not particularly recommend it. Overall we enjoyed our meals there

• Visited March 2017
1 Thank NaomiCT
Dear NaomiCT
Thank you for choosing our Restaurant, and for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Rick’s cafe. We try very hard to provide a truly unique dining experience to our guests. We are very sorry that you did not enjoy the Margarita. We make all our Cocktails with premium products and without any syrups.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Rick’s Cafe in the near future.