“Great food and service”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Bowl
Description: Walking into Rick's Cafe has the same feeling as walking into a friend's home for dinner. The ambiance is comfortable to say the least with decor reminiscent of the movie classic "Casablanca" with its stylish colonial Moroccan tones accompanied by lounge music filtering through the 100 year old Victorian building,Immerse yourself in warm ambiance and eclectic decor in our 80 seater restaurant with its 3 fireplaces and bar, or enjoy the relaxed, vibey loft lounge and cocktail bar spilling out onto a roof deck with breathtaking views of the mountains.Our award winning selection of wines is sure to suit all tastes and features a wide selection by the carafe, we also offer a wide variety of local and imported Beers (now over 40!), Mexican and local Tequilas, Vodkas,Single Malts, Bourbons and Liquors. The menu presents a seasonal selection of Global tapas and a wide variety of dishesranging from mouth watering salads, Gourmet burgers, fresh seafood, matured Steaks and Moroccan and Mediterranean specialties - "we serve Comfort food" So come relax and enjoy yourself with either lunching on the veranda, sipping sundownerson the roof deck or enjoy a delicious meal inside this historical cottage, and we will guarantee you'll want to "play it again" We all look for that place to recommend as being "my favourite place", well in this case you might just have found it."So... Here is looking at you kid."
Oslo, Norway
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

Found this on tripadvisor and agree with the reviews.
Food is delicious, prices are reasonable, service is great and a great beer menu.

Visited April 2017
2 Thank Marius P
percapetown, Owner at Rick's Cafe Americain, responded to this review, 10 April 2017
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
It is always great to receive some kind words of appreciation, as it serves as a great motivational tool for the team. I hope we can welcome you soon again
kind regards

Cape Town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place”
Reviewed 29 March 2017

We stumbled onto this place and were very glad we did. The premise is very enticing, and it is well executed without being overdone. There are numerous areas to the restaurant, making for large capacity but maintaining coziness. The menu is varied, and the items we had were delicious and presented well. The smoked crocodile, springbok tajine, burgers and desserts that our party ordered were all amazing.

Our waiter seemed to perhaps be new or having an off day. He was polite and answered questions about the menu, but he did not engage in any conversation or smile. Service was very slow (we never saw him hurry), and the appetizer took a long time to arrive. A bit later, he asked if we were ready for our entrées, but it was about 20 minutes more before they came out. In all, we spent nearly two hours there without really lingering. I'm rating the service accordingly, but I'm giving the restaurant the benefit of the doubt that this was some sort of fluke, so I am not factoring it into the overall rating.

I will happily go back to Rick's again, and I suspect that I'll find the service closer in quality to the rest of the experience.

1 Thank happytummy850
Dear happytummy850
Thank you so much for your kind words and the time you took to share them with us.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed our Food.
Le me please apologize on behalf of my waiter, this is definitely not our usual service standard. I have used your review at our latest Staff Training, as an example how not to serve patrons.
Thank you so much for your understanding and patience.
All the best and looking forward welcoming you when you visit Cape Town again.
Per & Rick's Team
Cape Town
“Lunch”
Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

Beautiful setting and food made with care. Delicious!
The rooibos smoked pork neck in hoisin burger with coleslaw and crispy fries... memorable and something different.

Visited March 2017
1 Thank Sarah E
Dear Sarah E
Thank you for choosing our Restaurant, and for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Rick’s cafe. We look forward to welcoming you again at Rick’s Cafe in the near future.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Nice Moroccan ambience”
Reviewed 28 March 2017

If you are looking for a relaxed atmosphere with good food, this is one to visit, with the look and feel of Casablanca once inside. We ate twice here while in Cape Town since it was walking distance from our guest house, plus it was recommended to us by hostess.The food was an eclectic mix of North African specialties like tagines as well as the more characteristic South African flavors of ostrich, springbok and crocodile (carpaccio). Unfortunately we were seated next to a very noisy American on our first visit, but we can hardly fault the restaurant for that. I had the ostrich burger which was delicious although not really distinguishable from beef. My husband had the crocodile and pronounced it OK - I tasted it too and found the smoky flavor, while nice, overwhelmed the natural flavor of the meat.

The second time we ate there was not quite as good. A mistake by the server meant I had a chicken tagine brought to the table instead of the springbok one I had ordered. However, the manager very swiftly dealt with the mistake and quickly replaced it with the correct dish. Again, it would be hard for me to say that springbok tastes any different to beef, but what do I know.

My husband is gluten free and seemed to have no trouble finding options on the menu. The first night we had excellent service, the second was so-so. Wines were nice and good value compared to UK or US. My margarita seemed a bit watery - I would not particularly recommend it. Overall we enjoyed our meals there

1 Thank NaomiCT
Dear NaomiCT
Thank you for choosing our Restaurant, and for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Rick’s cafe. We try very hard to provide a truly unique dining experience to our guests. We are very sorry that you did not enjoy the Margarita. We make all our Cocktails with premium products and without any syrups.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Rick’s Cafe in the near future.
Cape Town, South Africa
“Moroccan and Burger spot in Cape Town”
Reviewed 28 March 2017

Initially, this place was difficult to find. Situated in a side street and not well advertised on the outside of the establishment, plus the fact that there are trees shading the building during the day.
This is an old house which has been converted into a restaurant. Very quaint inside, but it is very dark, with an abundance of wood panelling and a large wooden staicase leading to the upstairs open deck. During the day, or on sublime evenings, the deck would be the ideal place to sit and enjoy the fare.
Specials are on offer each day. My partner chose the bobotie special, which was very tasty and was served with their own chutney........delicious.
My choice was a burger, served with melted emmentaler cheese, a slice of gypsy ham and a fried egg, on the normal bed of tomato and lettuce, but included was an onion marmalade.......very nice touch. Chips on the side were hot and crispy. For me, it is important to ensure the burgers are home-made and not processed and in this instance, the burger was fresh and delicious ( home made ).
The service was friendly and professional........and the greeting on our arrival was warm and courteous.
This restaurant specialises in Moroccan cuisine and evidence of this was noticed in the kitchen area, with an array of tagines on display.
Their other speciality is tapas........and burgers.
This venue can be recommended for small parties and groups. Atmosphere convivial.

1 Thank kevincY9111AX
percapetown, Owner at Rick's Cafe Americain, responded to this review, 15 April 2017
Dear kevincY9111AX
Thank you for choosing our Restaurant, and for taking the time to write a review! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Rick’s cafe. We try very hard to provide a truly unique dining experience to our guests, and we are thrilled that we were able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you again at Rick’s Cafe in the near future.