“Fantastic!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Bowl
Description: Walking into Rick's Cafe has the same feeling as walking into a friend's home for dinner. The ambiance is comfortable to say the least with decor reminiscent of the movie classic "Casablanca" with its stylish colonial Moroccan tones accompanied by lounge music filtering through the 100 year old Victorian building,Immerse yourself in warm ambiance and eclectic decor in our 80 seater restaurant with its 3 fireplaces and bar, or enjoy the relaxed, vibey loft lounge and cocktail bar spilling out onto a roof deck with breathtaking views of the mountains.Our award winning selection of wines is sure to suit all tastes and features a wide selection by the carafe, we also offer a wide variety of local and imported Beers (now over 40!), Mexican and local Tequilas, Vodkas,Single Malts, Bourbons and Liquors. The menu presents a seasonal selection of Global tapas and a wide variety of dishesranging from mouth watering salads, Gourmet burgers, fresh seafood, matured Steaks and Moroccan and Mediterranean specialties - "we serve Comfort food" So come relax and enjoy yourself with either lunching on the veranda, sipping sundownerson the roof deck or enjoy a delicious meal inside this historical cottage, and we will guarantee you'll want to "play it again" We all look for that place to recommend as being "my favourite place", well in this case you might just have found it."So... Here is looking at you kid."
Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

Everything about this place was fantastic. The tagines and drinks were delicious. The staff were friendly and attentive. All in all, a great restaurant.

2  Thank Prev-ran
percapetown, Owner at Rick's Cafe Americain - Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2016

Dear Prev-ran
Thank you very much for writing a review on Trip advisor.
It was certainly a pleasure to read that you thoroughly enjoy your time at Rick's. Your comments on the Tajines and Drinks are most gratifying and will be shared with the team, as there is nothing more motivating than costumers who take the time to send a note of appreciation.
Per & Rick's Team

There are newer reviews for Rick's Cafe Americain - Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed 29 November 2016

Avoid the downstairs area - way too cramped. Book for the upstairs balcony instead. Vibey Morrocan-inspired spot. Food is above average and they tend to get it right more often than not. Best suited for a fun dinner with friends.

Reviewed 26 November 2016 via mobile

Great drinks, good food and friendly staff. Rick's is my goto place whenever i'm in Capetown or Tamboerskloof vicinity. Excellent drinks and cocktail menu, very satisfying food menu with daily specials while the staff always makes you feel welcome.

1  Thank alienstorme

Dear Alienstorme
thank you so much for taking the time to review our Restaurant on Tripadvisor.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your time at Rick's and hope to welcome you soon again
kind regards
Per & Team

Reviewed 24 November 2016

Used to be my go-to place for impromptu dinner. Loved the tapas platter. Recently - unsure why, food standard seems to have slipped. Platter was not it's usual quality and I listened to the waiter's suggestion and had what was sadly one of the worst burgers I've had in a while. Fast-food included.
Also, the extremely loud chatter from diners packed into cramped rooms- tables are stacked elbow width apart in sections - is frankly annoying and stuffy and I found myself just wanting to get out of there asap.
Kinda embarrassing as we were entertaining Dutch guests and Rick's was our recommendation. They looked suitably unimpressed understandably.

percapetown, Owner at Rick's Cafe Americain - Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2016

Dear Deon Redman
Thank you for taking the time writing a review on TripAdvisor. We always do appreciate constructive criticism from our customers as it helps us to improve the “Rick’s” experience for everybody.
Rick’s is a rather small restaurant and we often get bookings for 4 or 6 and then they arrive with 1 or 2 guests extra. I do apologize for having only little Table space in our downstairs restaurant to accommodate this increasing parties. Normally we keep “breathing space” between tables but this apparently did not happen yesterday, I’m so sorry for your discomfort.
We are the first to apologize and try to rectify any mishap or food complains immediately after we have been notified about any problem a customer may have with his table, the waiter or the food. Unfortunately, you did not alert the waiter or the manager about the tasteless Burger as we could have changed your table or the food there and then.
I have no Idea what went wrong in the kitchen especially as our Burgers are usually one of the best in Town. Can you pls. let us know what was wrong with it. I already spoke to the chef that he has a closer eye on the preparation of the Tapas Platter and Burgers that in future this is not happening again.
I have to wholeheartedly apologize for your disappointing dinner.
This all sounded more like Faulty Towers than of Rick’s Café, please accept my humble apologies for this. I would love to invite you and partner for a burger dinner of your choice plus a bottle of house wine on my account, I know this is only a small token for a disappointing dinner outing, but please accept my apologies once more and join us soon again and I promise you will have a different experience. Looking forward hearing from you
Kind regards
Per

Reviewed 17 November 2016

Enjoyed delicious food and wide choice of dishes, warm atmosphere enhanced by the decor and friendly waiting staff. Visited twice mid week, busy both evenings, would recommend if you fancy something a little bit different

percapetown, Owner at Rick's Cafe Americain - Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2016

Dear Bedford_Traveller
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your time at Rick's and hope to be able to welcome you soon again
Kind regards