“Very good service and perfect tagine!”

Rick's Cafe Americain
Ranked #44 of 1 207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Bowl
Description: Walking into Rick's Cafe has the same feeling as walking into a friend's home for dinner. The ambiance is comfortable to say the least with decor reminiscent of the movie classic "Casablanca" with its stylish colonial Moroccan tones accompanied by lounge music filtering through the 100 year old Victorian building,Immerse yourself in warm ambiance and eclectic decor in our 80 seater restaurant with its 3 fireplaces and bar, or enjoy the relaxed, vibey loft lounge and cocktail bar spilling out onto a roof deck with breathtaking views of the mountains.Our award winning selection of wines is sure to suit all tastes and features a wide selection by the carafe, we also offer a wide variety of local and imported Beers (now over 40!), Mexican and local Tequilas, Vodkas,Single Malts, Bourbons and Liquors. The menu presents a seasonal selection of Global tapas and a wide variety of dishesranging from mouth watering salads, Gourmet burgers, fresh seafood, matured Steaks and Moroccan and Mediterranean specialties - "we serve Comfort food" So come relax and enjoy yourself with either lunching on the veranda, sipping sundownerson the roof deck or enjoy a delicious meal inside this historical cottage, and we will guarantee you'll want to "play it again" We all look for that place to recommend as being "my favourite place", well in this case you might just have found it."So... Here is looking at you kid."
Reviewed 3 May 2015 via mobile

I came over for lunch.. The place was not busy.. I received a very friendly service. All the staff were so attentive to my needs. As I sat outside, the waiter would come once in a while to check if there is anything else I needed.

I wanted to try more from the menu but when I got the Royal Tagine, which came in generous portion, I decided to stick to it. It was perfect. The lamb was so tender and the sauce was really delicious. Even the veggies on the side were a lot. I think this meal can be shared by 2.

Overall, it's thumbs up!

3  Thank wandering_dive_geek

Reviewed 29 April 2015

Superb, actually thought it was an American steak restaurant but turns out to be Moroccan. Excellent service and even better food.

5  Thank LenJackson
Reviewed 29 April 2015 via mobile

We started with the tapas platter, the chicken, houmous, and the poppers was good, the rest really bad.

then the mains, the chicken pita was good just a shame that the salsa was way too chunky, big blocks of pineapple.

The bouillabaisse was very wrong. If you wanna serve whatever I got call it something els.

creme brulee was ok

2  Thank FTloveOF
percapetown, Owner at Rick's Cafe Americain, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2015

Thanks for reviewing us on Trip adviser. I read with dismay that you didn't like some of our food. I'm very sorry that we could not satisfy your taste buds, as we always try our best to please all of our customers, it's very sad when we fail with some guests. We pride ourselves of our good service and continuous good food standards. We don’t often get complaints and when we get one, we react immediately to make sure any shortcomings are rectified to the total satisfaction of our customers.
We actually never had any complaints about our Tapas platter as they are the favourites of many of our regular guests.
To our defence I can only ask why you did not bring it up with your waiter or the manager on duty as we could have replaced the items immediately which were not to your liking. The "big chunks" of pineapple are normally 1 cm dices, I apologize if my chefs did cut it larger than they suppose to! The bouillabaisse we serve is called: "Rick's" Bouillabaisse as it has not all items in it you may have become a costumed to in south of France.. We called it "Rick's" bouillabaisse on our menu especially out of this reason! We sell this "our seafood soup" since 10 years, it is prepared with the same recipe (just with changing fish types as we buy daily our fresh Line fish – one day yellowtail, the next Cob etc..) and had never any complaint about it. I'm the first to admit that mistakes happen in every kitchen, but the best way to let the management know if something went wrong is to bring it to their attention there and then as otherwise it is very difficult if not impossible to follow up your complain/bad review about the food served at my restaurant.

Reviewed 26 April 2015

The lunch specials are the best! Three interesting items to choose from every day that are not on the usual menu, prepared with the freshest seasonal ingredients. Yum!

4  Thank gilderwest
Reviewed 23 April 2015

Going to ricks for dinner is always a treat, the staff are friendly and service is good.

Not much to say other than definitely one of the best local places!

1  Thank irenej0nes