Review Highlights
What an incredible stay!

I had been waiting for the moment intraprovincial travel was allowed again during the COVID... read more

Reviewed 12 August 2020
Tammy_tamzCT
Trip to the Wilderness area of Knysna and Tanqua Karoo.

Excellent knowledge and preparation meant that every target species of bird was seen. Knowledge of... read more

Reviewed 5 November 2015
Nicola H
Norwich, United Kingdom

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My wife and I enjoyed two days of guided birding with Patrick as part of a Southern Africa tour put together by Avian Leisure. Despite inclement weather, Patrick cheerfully and expertly guided us through botanical gardens and wildlife refuges showing us an incredible array of flora and fauna. My wife is a less intense birder but thoroughly enjoyed our days with Patrick and his balanced approach to guiding.
Together with Marie-Louise, he helped plan our amazing three week tour of the Western Cape, Kruger, Vic Falls and the Chobe. The trip was flawless, planned to the finest detail and exceeded our expectations at every turn. One of our best travel experiences ever. Highly recommended.

Date of experience: September 2013
1  Thank Bubo_2
Reviewed 9 September 2013

During September 2013 a group of 6 friends were taken on a trip to view the amazing spring flowers and birds of the west coast of South Africa near Cape Town. The whole experience was superb with excellent planning and management. I would have no hesitation in high recommending Patrick as a very caring and capable tour leader with an extensive knowledge of the countryside and its people.

Date of experience: September 2013
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I booked a birding trip with Patrick and trips around the Cape and winelands for me and family.
The birding trip was a lifetime experience with a trip to the Western Cape reserve and Strandfontein to look at wildfowl and shorebirds. Patrick knew exactly where to go and what to see and I had 62 new lifetime birds. The trips with my family were superbly organised ad a great delight and I cannot thank Patrick and his Wife Marie-Louise enough for organising a truly wonderful experience for me and family. All of this was arranged from the UK by email.

Date of experience: January 2013
2  Thank Ronald E
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We have been birding in more than 20 countries in the last few years and would like to comment on the superb quality of the services offerred by Avian Leisure in Southern Africa. This 3-week trip was by far our most rewarding from the birding/photo points of view. What we liked:(1) Interactive, detailed programming of the tour, with cost and itinerary agreed upon and fulfilled; (2) birding experience of Patrick who took us to those places where specific birds could be seen; (3) Patrick's knowledge of photography and help when of us was sick.

Date of experience: August 2011
Reviewed 14 February 2012

By all means, do your S. African Bird Watching with Patrick Cardwell. We consider Patrick to be the father of S. African Birding, as he has trained many of those now running Rock Jumpers and Trogon Tours. Our experience with these latter companies is that on receives short shrift if not using services several times yearly. With Patrick and Marie-Louise, personal attention and specific birding/wildlife/naturalist or even golfing needs receive the utmost attention. This company is truly client oriented and has the experience needed to provide an uniquely satisfying tour. Be sure to stay in their B&B for a night or two, as the Cape Town experience received will be exceptional.

Date of experience: March 2011