“Meze Platter”

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2017

When we arrived at Marika's we wondered what it would be like as its location is out of the ordinary being up a flight of stairs and past a flat that looked like someones home. We had not heard of the place before but were looking for something to eat after a late night at work and most other places told us their kitchens were closed.
Due to the hour we decided on a lighter meal and opted for a meze platter. We could choose 5 items from the starter menu to create our platter.
The homemade dolmades were my favorite. All was tasty although we did find the white bait a little too "fishy" for our liking.

The waitress was a pleasure and made us feel at home, which this place is obviously aiming at creating as it feels as if you're in someones home for a meal.

MARIKAS_RESTAURANT, Owner at Marika's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Hi Jason.

Thank you for your review.

It really is such a pleasure to hear someone say that an item was not to their particular taste rather than just saying it is horrible or there is something wrong with it..... :) .... White bait.... We do all have different likes and dislikes and how we deal with our dislikes is a sure sign of character.....

I hope you enjoyed Marika's enough to visit again soon and hopefully the rest of our offering will be on the positive side of your taste buds....

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Kind regards

Frank and Marika

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

You don't know if the wine you ordered is what you get. You have to trust them. If however I complain that the wine I ordered by the carafe does not taste any better than the cheap house wine I was given to taste the owner should realise that the customer is always right and try to make amends instead of getting all uppity. He could just have said that anyone can make a mistake and could have offered to bring a bottle of the wine I ordered and pour it for me into my carafe at my table, or he could have offered me a taste, or another wine instead. The 500ml carafe I ordered cost R98 on the menu and was charged at R106 on the bill. If I do not finish a glass of wine then something must be really wrong with it, but he did not give me the benefit of the doubt at all. Very uncomfortably noisy restaurant with the smell of cigarette smoke - not sure where that came from, but the doors to the patio on a very chilly night were wide open. The taste of oil on potato wedges is dreadful. The peri peri chicken was nice only where the peri peri sauce was and it was not all over the chicken. The baklava is not the authentic taste I am used to. So, all in all, a very uncomfortable evening in more ways than one.

MARIKAS_RESTAURANT, Owner at Marika's, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Dear Abutilon
I wonder why you choose to use a pseudonym (pretty flower, the Abutilon), rather than revealing your real name when writing a review?

Nonetheless... Thank you for your review. Please see my response in (Brackets) below.

You don't know if the wine you ordered is what you get. You have to trust them. (I am afraid that if you go to a restaurant that has been around for as long as we have, yes, you do have to trust them. As I told you on the night, I do not take kindly to the inference that we cheat our customers by serving cheap ‘Papsak' type wine instead of what was ordered. Our bar is in full view of the restaurant, so, if you are that distrustful, there was nothing to stop you from coming over to the bar to watch your carafe of wine being poured. You would however be the first customer to do so since we opened our doors almost 13 years ago). If however I complain that the wine I ordered by the carafe does not taste any better than the cheap house wine I was given to taste the owner should realise that the customer is always right (A common misconception. No one is always right. Interestingly, one of the other guests sitting opposite you at your table commented to me, in front of you, when you were complaining, that he was more than happy with his glass of wine) and try to make amends instead of getting all uppity. (I was not ‘Uppity’; I was in fact angry, and this was because for no apparent reason you had chosen to condescendingly treat our waitress with disrespect and distrust.) He could just have said that anyone can make a mistake (At this point I did not see the need, especially as no mistake had been made) and could have offered to bring a bottle of the wine I ordered and pour it for me into my carafe at my table, (I wonder what the altitude is up there on your pedestal) or he could have offered me a taste, or another wine instead. (It is unrealistic to expect that every customer should be given a taste of every wine ordered. You had already been given a ‘Taste’ of, and decided that you did not like our house wine, ordered an alternative brand with which you were familiar and of which you had drunk a hefty portion before complaining.) The 500ml carafe I ordered cost R98 on the menu and was charged at R106 on the bill. (It was explained to you that the R98 price on the menu was a misprint and was incorrect. However, you have conveniently neglected to mention here that we apologised, reprinted your bill, less your Entertainer voucher discount and still only charged you the lower price...) If I do not finish a glass of wine then something must be really wrong with it, but he did not give me the benefit of the doubt at all. (Unfortunately by this stage, not only had your attitude towards our waitress negated any chance of you getting the benefit of any doubt from me, but I did not see why I should give you a new glass of wine after your having ‘not finished’ the one you had and your guest having given the wine his nod of approval). Very uncomfortably noisy restaurant (matter of opinion and preference) with the smell of cigarette smoke - not sure where that came from, (neither am I, Altitude??) but the doors to the patio on a very chilly night were wide open. (Why did you not mention either the smoke, so we could investigate or the open doors to your waitress or to me when we spoke. That way something might have been done about it? Interestingly, only you, in a very full restaurant, seemed to feel the chill. I suspect no one else had a problem because the patio, onto which the doors you mention open, is completely covered by our tent keeping most of any chill out.) The taste of oil on potato wedges is dreadful. (One of our most popular side dishes, those wedges!!) The peri peri chicken was nice only where the peri peri sauce was and it was not all over the chicken. (Firstly..Bravo.. You found something to compliment, our homemade chilli… Thank you. I will instruct the chef to use a larger basting brush next time though. Secondly we marinate our baby chickens in our chili sauce which would make it difficult to miss a spot.) The baklava is not the authentic taste I am used to. (Not too certain where you have eaten Baklava in the past, but it really does not get much more traditional/authentic than the way we make it.) So, all in all, a very uncomfortable evening in more ways than one. (For which I am truly sorry Abutilon and trust that you will, in future, be successful in finding an establishment, somewhere else, more suitable to your needs and to your liking).

Thank you again for your very constructive review.

Sincerely

Frank Resnik
for Marika's

Reviewed 12 August 2017

This was our second visit to this restaurant, having experienced such a wonderful meal 2 weeks ago, we just had to go back
The service was again perfect, the waitress attentive, knowledgeable and of great assistance in deciding on which items to order. On our previous visit, i had started with Whitebait, which was delicious and an old favourite of mine, and i was tempted to order the same again but decided on the grilled sardines, followed by slow cooked lamb, my wife and our friends went with the soft shelled crab and calamari, followed by the sole. The food was perfectly prepared and delicious but we managed to keep a little space for desert.
We cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough, if you are looking for traditional Greek food and great service, this is the place.

1  Thank stephen m
MARIKAS_RESTAURANT, Owner at Marika's, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Dear Stephen
We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Marika's and thank you so much for your great review.
It is always wonderful to get positive feedback.
We look forward to seeing you again and trust that each and every visit will prove to be as good an experience.

Thanks again :)

Frank and Marika

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

They've been closed for a month whilst on another voyage of discovery in the Greece. New ideas and added newbies to the new menus. Mika and Judy are fantastic, excellent service with a human touch. You always feel like part of the family in an extended sort of way. Frank and Marika, the owners and chef, have a hands on approach and truly get to know you. They look after you and this is an essential good element from the old days, which is extremely rare to find. Absolutely necessary.

This is the neighborhood restaurant where a lot of people are not from the hood. It seems like everyone wants a piece of the awesome experience.

Besides, the food is fantastic. Made to a perpetual high and consistent standard with care.

1  Thank WCPT
Reviewed 21 June 2017

If we closed our eyes and used our imagination we would have thought we were right in the middle of a real Greek Taverna in Greece . Had dinner there on the recommendation from a friend and we will definitely be back as the food was simply brilliant and all tasted "home cooked " The owners are attentive without being in your face and explained the menu in detail with passion and persuaded us to try an assortment of dishes to sample all the types of food .Hard to single out any dishes as all were good from fish to meat dishes . A must visit and booking essential , also a good wine selection available .