“Good hotel for a central city stay”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Taj is a good hotel for a central city stay. Room was sizable, clean, well maintained, and comfortable bed and pillows. Typical higher end hotel experience (turn down, slippers, chocolate at check in, etc.) if nothing truly memorable or remarkable about hotel.

Pros: Free Wifi (though a bit slow), excellent breakfast, friendly staff, good location for city attractions (museums) and relatively close to waterfront.

Cons: Location (depending), hotel not particularly close to a lot of restaurants, downtown area (except for street with the hostels and backpackers) goes quiet at night, bathroom linens could use upgrade. (Not the hotel's fault but a severe drought meant no jacuzzi, steam room, or bath use).

Taj is a good spot if you want to be in the center of the city and stay at a luxury hotel for a fair price. Cape Town is very defined by its neighborhoods (and were Taj is generally lacks one, it's like being in the downtown of a midsize American midwestern city). Waterfront is the place to stay for food and shopping and high energy, though very touristy (it is a giant mall like Boston's Seaport), Clifton for the beach (similar to a South Beach vibe), Sea Point, Houts Bay similar, and Gardens for quiet and off the grid (semi residential). The Cape Town experience will be different in each of these, so recommend making a location choice and then hotel choice based on desired experience, but Taj is good for a central city experience.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank jb1234567
TAJ C, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Sanjay Sood

Write a ReviewReviews (1 841)

11 - 15 of 1 841 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

If you want a real spoil for a spa experience, this is the place.

I had the warrior massage for 90min and my wife had the Indian aroma therapy for 90 min.

Both were amazing with the entire experience of welcome, room ambiance and strength of the massage al being above par!

The was attention to detail amazing with the detox tea at start and finish and the meditation beads as a departing gift.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sumendra N

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here for 2 nights at the conclusion of a cruise. The hotel allowed us to move into our room approximately 3 hrs prior to official check-in time -- greatly appreciated. The spacious room had excellent views of the cathedral across the street and of Table Mt and Signal Hill. The included breakfast was very good, with a wide selection of items. The staff was beyond superior in so many ways. Even though we had a very late flight, they provided storage for our luggage during an afternoon excursion, and shower/changing facilities upon our return. An added bonus was the Christmas Eve concert provided by the staff just before our departure -- it was absolutely amazing and really made our holiday travel experience a memorable one

Room Tip: Ask for views of Table Mt.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Larry S

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

What a great hotel , well managed and very well trained staff. Our Table Mountain view Mandela suite was perfect . Very comfortable beds . Great Indian food in the restaurant . We look forward to returning.

Stayed: May 2017
1  Thank fiella

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I've stayed here half a dozen times in the last 4 years and always had a pleasant stay.

This time, I'd emailed ahead to say that I was disappointed at never being recognised as a returning guest. So when I got there, I was greeted like royalty. The manager came out to meet me, the front desk was superb and not only did I get a room upgrade, there were a few little treats waiting for me in my room. It really was a remarkable welcome.

Unfortunately, it kind of went downhill from there, certainly from a service perspective. Irrespective of time of day, or restaurant or bar, service was very slow and lacking. There seemed to be more people in suits than serving. During breakfast, you are offered tea or coffee, this seems to take an age to arrive - more often than not, it is a separate trip to bring milk and we had times where it was a 3 time effort if you wanted sugar :). Needless to say that your morning tea was cold before you could sweeten it.

Dinner in Mint ranged from OK to fiasco. The first time we ate in there we were told it was not halal so my colleague ordered a veg dish (which was pretty bland). The second time we were told it was definitely halal. Being sceptical we double checked with one of the guys in suits, it was comical as when the question 'is the food halal' the waiter vehemently nodded his head and the manager shook his and said no. Eventually, the guy in the suit suggested getting the chef out to confirm - she came out and confirmed it was 'halal friendly'. But you wouldn't think it was such a difficult question.

One night I had ribs and there weren't any napkins or serviettes. Not being the easiest of foods to eat, I was somewhat messy - they were most apologetic but said there was nothing they could do - they did (after persuasion) bring me a finger bowl but nothing to dry them on.
The food was actually good quality but often had to be sent back as either the order was mixed up or the meat wasn't cooked as requested. As we were there for 3 weeks we did eat here a few times. There were 6 of us in total and orders were a lot more accurate if we went in twos.

Bombay Brasserie was very good. Even though I preferred Bukhara (which is just around the corner), I would recommend BB for a fine dining experience. Twankeys is also good.

Service in the main bar was slightly better than in the Cigar Lounge - which to be honest, isn't a very high bar to compare against. Often we waited 20 minutes for someone to take our order and then up to 20 minutes for the drinks to arrive. The hot chocolate is wonderful but it takes so long, sometimes you would get a biscuit, sometimes nuts - all very hit and miss.

Cleaning in the room was similarly hit and miss. Sometimes I had 3 towels, usually two and occasionally just one. Face cloths fluctuated between 2 and 0. Sometimes it was cleaned to military precision and other days It was barely touched. The mini bar often remained unstocked and water for teeth in the bathroom was forgotten about every other day. I did try to do my bit to help with the water shortage but most of the time, even though my towels were hung up, they were replaced with fresh ones.

I do need to point out though - there were times when I received outstanding (mind blowing) service but on this visit, it was the exception rather than the norm. But it does show that it's still possible :)

The room itself was gorgeous and very comfortable. This time I had a balcony which overlooked Table Mountain. It was glorious to stand out and drink in the view. Even though the bath called my name every night, I managed to think of the water shortage and resisted but the rain shower was fantastic in a morning to wake up a sleepy head.

The hotel itself is very beautiful, and you do feel like you're staying somewhere special. The front desk service has really improved and they are friendly and efficient.

I love the park. Just across the road (Company Gardens) - it"s great for some quiet moments of reflection or just having fun feeding the squirrels and the ducks.

We used the hotel shuttle bus which was efficient and informative (and free).

I was most disappointed at check out - I had a team of 6 with me and I wanted to buy them all a little leather credit card wallet (I have one that says Taj on it and it was highly coveted). As this was a surprise I waited until the team had left and got in the airport car, assuming it would be a 2 minute job. 20 minutes later they were still looking for someone with a key to open the shop. I told them to forget it and left.

I'm sorry that my very last moments in the Taj were filled with utter frustration and disappointment, I ended up stomping out to the car muttering, never again. I don't think this is true though. The Taj has a great location for my work and their service might just be a blip (a three week blip) and to be fair - even though at times it is exceptionally slow and sometimes confused, it is always polite and friendly. Although, I don't think I will insist on staying at the Taj in future, I won't rule it out.

We are planning a family holiday to Cape Town and I doubt the Taj will be my first choice but it might end up on my shortlist :)

The majority of these frustrations can and should be fixed quickly and easily.

All said and done, I have no doubt you will always enjoy your stay at the Taj.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.
While I really wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short.
I have shared your feedback with our team and would like to assure you that your concerns are currently being addressed.
In case there is anything further I may assist you with, please do not hesitate to get in touch.