Reviews (2 018)
2 018 results
1 449
1 449
All reviewsbombay brasseriemint restaurantjiva spatwankey barrange rovertable mountainexcellent hotelin room diningcompany gardensluxurious hotelmountain viewupgraded to a suiteconcierge deskturn down servicehigh tealong streetsouth africa
164 - 169 of 2 018 reviews
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

I've stayed here half a dozen times in the last 4 years and always had a pleasant stay.

This time, I'd emailed ahead to say that I was disappointed at never being recognised as a returning guest. So when I got there, I was greeted like royalty. The manager came out to meet me, the front desk was superb and not only did I get a room upgrade, there were a few little treats waiting for me in my room. It really was a remarkable welcome.

Unfortunately, it kind of went downhill from there, certainly from a service perspective. Irrespective of time of day, or restaurant or bar, service was very slow and lacking. There seemed to be more people in suits than serving. During breakfast, you are offered tea or coffee, this seems to take an age to arrive - more often than not, it is a separate trip to bring milk and we had times where it was a 3 time effort if you wanted sugar :). Needless to say that your morning tea was cold before you could sweeten it.

Dinner in Mint ranged from OK to fiasco. The first time we ate in there we were told it was not halal so my colleague ordered a veg dish (which was pretty bland). The second time we were told it was definitely halal. Being sceptical we double checked with one of the guys in suits, it was comical as when the question 'is the food halal' the waiter vehemently nodded his head and the manager shook his and said no. Eventually, the guy in the suit suggested getting the chef out to confirm - she came out and confirmed it was 'halal friendly'. But you wouldn't think it was such a difficult question.

One night I had ribs and there weren't any napkins or serviettes. Not being the easiest of foods to eat, I was somewhat messy - they were most apologetic but said there was nothing they could do - they did (after persuasion) bring me a finger bowl but nothing to dry them on.
The food was actually good quality but often had to be sent back as either the order was mixed up or the meat wasn't cooked as requested. As we were there for 3 weeks we did eat here a few times. There were 6 of us in total and orders were a lot more accurate if we went in twos.

Bombay Brasserie was very good. Even though I preferred Bukhara (which is just around the corner), I would recommend BB for a fine dining experience. Twankeys is also good.

Service in the main bar was slightly better than in the Cigar Lounge - which to be honest, isn't a very high bar to compare against. Often we waited 20 minutes for someone to take our order and then up to 20 minutes for the drinks to arrive. The hot chocolate is wonderful but it takes so long, sometimes you would get a biscuit, sometimes nuts - all very hit and miss.

Cleaning in the room was similarly hit and miss. Sometimes I had 3 towels, usually two and occasionally just one. Face cloths fluctuated between 2 and 0. Sometimes it was cleaned to military precision and other days It was barely touched. The mini bar often remained unstocked and water for teeth in the bathroom was forgotten about every other day. I did try to do my bit to help with the water shortage but most of the time, even though my towels were hung up, they were replaced with fresh ones.

I do need to point out though - there were times when I received outstanding (mind blowing) service but on this visit, it was the exception rather than the norm. But it does show that it's still possible :)

The room itself was gorgeous and very comfortable. This time I had a balcony which overlooked Table Mountain. It was glorious to stand out and drink in the view. Even though the bath called my name every night, I managed to think of the water shortage and resisted but the rain shower was fantastic in a morning to wake up a sleepy head.

The hotel itself is very beautiful, and you do feel like you're staying somewhere special. The front desk service has really improved and they are friendly and efficient.

I love the park. Just across the road (Company Gardens) - it"s great for some quiet moments of reflection or just having fun feeding the squirrels and the ducks.

We used the hotel shuttle bus which was efficient and informative (and free).

I was most disappointed at check out - I had a team of 6 with me and I wanted to buy them all a little leather credit card wallet (I have one that says Taj on it and it was highly coveted). As this was a surprise I waited until the team had left and got in the airport car, assuming it would be a 2 minute job. 20 minutes later they were still looking for someone with a key to open the shop. I told them to forget it and left.

I'm sorry that my very last moments in the Taj were filled with utter frustration and disappointment, I ended up stomping out to the car muttering, never again. I don't think this is true though. The Taj has a great location for my work and their service might just be a blip (a three week blip) and to be fair - even though at times it is exceptionally slow and sometimes confused, it is always polite and friendly. Although, I don't think I will insist on staying at the Taj in future, I won't rule it out.

We are planning a family holiday to Cape Town and I doubt the Taj will be my first choice but it might end up on my shortlist :)

The majority of these frustrations can and should be fixed quickly and easily.

All said and done, I have no doubt you will always enjoy your stay at the Taj.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
TAJ C, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2018

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we apologise for the inconvenience caused to you.
While I really wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case that we fell short.
I have shared your feedback with our team and would like to assure you that your concerns are currently being addressed.
In case there is anything further I may assist you with, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Reviewed 26 December 2017

What a luxurious property, what a service! We stayed at this property many times but this last time enjoyed a room with the view on the table mountain. It was a true delight to wake up every morning with the view on the table. Rooms are spacious, and extra comfortable. The bathroom - luxurious and I especially love the bathroom products. Love the breakfast at the hotel too - and tried the afternoon tea this time and it was fantastic as well. Overall, a wonderful quaint hotel with fantastic service. The only downside for me is the spa/gym area which are a little bit on the small side. Otherwise, looking forward to our next stay already.

Room Tip: with the view on the table mountain
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank cemile h

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the fantastic review of our hotel! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 25 December 2017 via mobile

Before i get to the formal review. Let me place in order of priority the best part of my stay at the Taj.

A hearty thank you to the unsung heroes at the Taj that make my stay nothing short of magical.

Firstly to Mr Sood. U run a hotel that makes my stay better than the last. At the helm to cater for the individual needs of your guests and yet on a larger scale running the colossal Taj with such efficiency is a mark of excellence.

To Willem the Rooms manager a big thank you for remembering and checking in. To Jeanine from Taste by Taj. Thank you for listening and accomodating me. Thank you for setting into motion my dream holiday. I pray u become a permanent member of the Taj Team. To Gaadija Saal, thank you for accomodating my changes in room category and dates.

To Heinz , Terrence and Audolphis our 3 butlers , a big thank you for taking such great care of us.

To Athi at Food and beverage , you made our last evening truly magical. Thank you. And to the Head of food and beverage that popped in thank you.

To the doormen and valet attendants i salute you. U make our daily transitions a breeze.

And lastly my holiday:

Whenever i come home to Taj there is an air of familiarity and nostalgia that envelops me. It feels familiar like meeting an old friend but on a grand scale.

This last stay was nothing short of excellent. Rooms , food and general service is excellent. Staff are exceptiinally friendly and courteous. And as stated before my stay was nothing short of magical.

Taj, u create experiences that will forever remain in the memory of your guests and for me those memories are filled with the warm nostalgia of being home and yet also taken on a magical ride.

Thank you all at Taj. Merry Xams.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Hassanhamid

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

If it's your first visit as a tourist to Capetown, this is the place to stay. It's very well located. The hotel organises daily walks ( complimentary) to visits tourist spots around.
As far as visiting other areas like table top, camps bay, water front, you can use the free transport provided by the hotel. ( the city has Uber too)
Rest service remains top notch and rooms are great too.. 5 Stars!!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Arjun01B

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

So earlier this year we stayed at the Taj Cape Town and had a not so pleasant experience. So when my husband insisted we return for our December vacation I was highly reluctant. However I eat humble pie and confide that the hotel outdid itself and was simply an amazing experience. The staff (seems like a new lot of staff) were professional courteous and paid attention to the smallest of details. Every need was anticipated and met. We ended out last night with a private dining event which was literally mind blowing and had my guests astounded. Thank you to ATHI MBEMBA who went out of his way to ensure the evening was a huge success. Heinz our Butler was exemplary in the service he rendered...no demand was too big or small and he endeared with his charming nature. Wilhelm the Rooms Director surprised me by remembering us from our past visit and checking in on us. Janine from Taste by Taj, Terrence and Adolphilus the Jnr butler's to all the amazing waitresses at managers at The Mint restaraunt who ensured we were well catered for....
All I can say is that I'm really wrong and it's very hard to change my mind once I've formed a negative impression of a place or person...well the Taj certainly changed my mind and made this one of the best holidays that I went on this year.
Please keep up the good job and maintain the standard. The only disappointment was the change of the High Tea from buffet to al la carte menu...it was not as satisfying as the old High Tea
All in all gold star to Taj Cape Town