“Loved the discreet luxury of this hotel”
Review of Taj Cape Town

Taj Cape Town
Ranked #15 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 11 March 2015

HOTEL: Hotel was lovely, staff are so friendly and genuinely helpful - but discreet when you want them to be.
We often had the pool to ourselves, and a break in the sauna was a great way to recharge before dinner!
Breakfast had lots of choice and was plentiful. It has a very relaxed atmosphere.

ROOMS: Loved the fact I could soak in the bath and take in the view! We slept with the curtains open so we'd see the tablecloth rolling over Table Mountain in the mornings, it's beautiful. Balcony doors slide open to make the most of that unbelievable panoramic - we often had a glass of wine here before heading to dinner. Rooms are large and airy, very clean and bed was comfortable

LOCATION: Great location, short taxi to V&A in evenings (we walked there during day), lots of shops and sights around, very much in the middle of everything. We spent alot of time in The Company's Gardens with a coffee and good book to soak up the sun. Great little cafe in there too - salads and light bites, pretty surroundings.

HIGHLIGHTS: We had a fantastic meal in Bombay Brasserie - it had been recommended by friends before our visit and didn't disappoint! Food was amazing, you must try! Wine list had very good options, staff were fantastic.

Room Tip: Choose a mountain view room!
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank smosmo23
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2015

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the feedback. We will be certain to share your appreciation with the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Cape Town and more important Taj Cape Town, in the near future.
Michael Pownall

Write a ReviewReviews (1 863)

851 - 855 of 1 863 reviews

Reviewed 9 March 2015

I was lucky enough to be invited to dinner at the Taj and what an experience. The service was impeccable with amazing attention to detail.i ordered a wine which the waiter informed me was out of stock but a few Tminutes later appeared with a bottle which he had obtained for another nearby restaurant to avoid disappointment, what service! The food was superb and indian cuisine at its best with a mix of delicate and fragrant starters to full on curries but always done with style. Not your average curry house with prices to match.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank David G

Dear David
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We will certainly convey them to the food and beverage team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 March 2015 via mobile

We went for the spa treatment and the high tea and it was absolutely marvelous. The spa is clean, smells terrific and super relaxing with the nicest beauticians. The high tea dessert table was an absolute blast. This hotel is a definite must for anyone.

Stayed: March 2015
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2015

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you very for your positive comment and taking the time to share this with all. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 March 2015 via mobile

Spent 4 nights during heated State of the Nations week. Being at Taj was a great plus not only in terms of convenience but also because a number of personalities could be seen there. Room and facilities are top quality and definitely to my taste. Breakfast very enjoyable. Some confusion occured when checking out. Some colleagues got card debited twice; others did not get proper receipt. Apart from that, glad we stayed there.

Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business
MIPCapeTown, General Manager at Taj Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2015

Dear Valued Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. We have noted the comment pertaining to the double charge on the credit cards which is of huge concern. My audit team have been asked to review the incident.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 March 2015

I stayed at The Taj in Cape Town for 2 nights and 3 days earlier this month. I was expecting the service I have experienced else where with this Group. Don't expect that! I had more than a few issues -

1) brunch - I had brunch at the Mint restaurant on 2 days. Both days the service was terrible. No one asked me if I wanted to be seated. I stood around for a few minutes until I approached a hostess. Even after that, on one occasion I was kept waiting for another 10 minutes. I had to ask for coffee at least 3-4 times, didn't get a menu, no water, and was pretty much ignored.

2) concierge - the service is meant to assist you with tours and other touristy stuff. One staff member in particular spoke to me the entire time like she was doing me a favor. You pay a higher price for rooms at the Taj as it includes the cost of some of these add ons.

3) other - this incident was highly unacceptable. Total breach of security. I took a cab from the waterfront area to the hotel after dinner. The cab driver total took me for a ride and charged me extra. I told him that he had started his meter from ZAR 10 instead of ZAR 0 and had driven back a longer route to the hotel. I had my GPS on. I refused to pay him the extra ZAR 15. i walked into the hotel after paying him ZAR 50. The security let him walk inside..follow me to the bar where he proceeded to get into a big argument with me, heckled me, and tried to throw the money back at me. The whole time the staff was just watching this. Finally the manager comes out after I paid the extra ZARs cause it had gotten out of control and the driver had stepped out. The manager promised he would personally handle it as it was the hotel's preferred cab service provider. I heard absolutely nothing from him. He even saw me leaving the following day and totally ignored me.

I will not return to this hotel again. Major disappointment. If your are traveling alone as a single woman completely avoid the place!!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled solo