“Table mountain view from the room”
Review of Strand Tower Hotel

Strand Tower Hotel
Ranked #56 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It is clearly a hotel for groups (we also were part of a group) In such a case the service is not any more personal.The breakfast was good as well the dinner which we served at the bar and not in the dinning room.
The 4* I gave is mostly because we received a room with a FANTASTIC view to the Table Mountain.
The room is not small but the beds were very narrow. What was something new for us was a mobile phone in the room for the use of the guest. Since we were most of the time traveling with the group we did not use it but I am sure it is something worth trying.
The bell boy in one case was very kind and came with us to the nearest super market and helped us find what we needed.
The hotel is centraly located and during the day you can walk to the major sites in the city.In the evenings we used taxi at 50 rand from the hotel to the Water front.Return, if late evening you will pay 60 rand.Still very cheap.

Room Tip: ask for the room with the view
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Strand Tower Hotel is listed as a 4 star hotel but the experience that I had was that of a 1 star. The booking was made and paid prior to me booking in (it was a gift from a friend as my birthday was on the 31 December 2017). However the reception insisted that I pay as bookings made through the agency gets paid on arrival, which ended up being incorrect, meaning a double payment went off.

Secondly the food was terrible, we ordered a meal at the restaurant, it took 20 minutes to arrive, for something that looked reheated with some sauce thrown on as an after thought.

And there's more! As it was New Year's Eve we arrived back at the hotel at 3:30am, by 7am my friend woke me up to say she is feeling itchy, when we checked under the linen and pillows, we found fleas and bed bugs!!!!! Myself and my friend have been bitten to smithereens (I alone have over 20 bites over my arms and face). We immediately packed up and left, they gave us a refund and offered to give us a complimentary stay but I never want to set foot in this Hotel of Horrors ever again. The head of housekeeping seemed oblivious as she said the rooms were cleaned the day before, but this is a pest control and fumigation issue!

I'm glad the management gave us the refund however this shouldn't be happening in the first place especially if you are a paying guest, spending over R2000 for the night.

I am utterly disgusted by this occurrence and never has this occurred at any hotel or B&B that I've stayed at before.

Taryn Harker.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 December 2017

Situated bang in the city centre within easy walking distance of the water front it’s location is it’s main benefit but do not be fooled by its four star rating. This hotel is old and worn out. From its very basic rooms to the stained carpets I got the feeling someone has bought this hotel on the cheap to make a quick buck. We stayed for six nights which is a big mistake as this hotel is only really suitable for one or two night business stays not for leisure. My first room was extremely cramped reminding of a cheap American motel. My second after complaining was slightly larger at the expense of a smaller bathroom. Under these circumstances the staff were admirable in their desire to try and make the best of it for the cliental. Breakfast buffet was passable with fresh fruit and pastries but the cooked breakfast started off English but gradually turned to Asian cuisine towards the end of our stay? Piece of advice. If on a high floor plan your trip as the lifts have a mind of their own and you may end up visiting every one before arriving at your destination.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank barry r
Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Its location is very good. It is near red bus station (#5), Woolworth Shopping center, Civic station and other important places.0 Breakfast is very nice.
It is recommended to put complementary water, slippers and good quality tissues in the rooms (at least for the first day of stay).

Stayed: December 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2017

Thank you for an awesome weekend and making us feel at home. We had a great experience staying at Stand Towers. Thank you for the complimentary weekend. I felt like I was on holiday. I hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel