“Table Mountain Walks - Margaret Curran”

Table Mountain Walks
Ranked #6 of 333 Tours in Cape Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Table Mountain was recently adjudged one of the World's 7 Wonders of Nature. If you would like to be guided up Table Mountain, we can offer you a scenic hike along several routes. The tour experience is all-inclusive, i.e. it includes refreshments and transfers. Contact us to make a booking.
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I knew I was visiting Cape Town for work in February 2012 and wanted to take the opportunity of walking up/down Table Mountain. As a visitor, I looked for a guide, and though I tried a number of companies, it was Margaret Curran of Table Mountain Walks who seemed to me to be the most credible. She has an extensive knowledge of almost every aspect of the mountain, she's been up it well over a thousand times, and her world-wide walking CV is exceptional. What a good choice that all turned out to be. We headed up the mountain with Margaret, plus 5 of us, going via the Kasteelspoort route - which is so much more interesting than, say, the long, unrelenting drudge up Platteklip. She paced us extremely well, kept us informed throughout, was charming, professional, and highly capable. There was not one of us in the group who regretted our choice of Table Mountain Walks and Margaret. As for the walk itself, it was hard but achievable for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness. I went down via Plattekip which was, on a Sunday, full of walkers, and as I looked back up the Gorge, I was so pleased we had used a different route to get up the hill (though without a guide I doubt I'd have found the Kasteelspoort route we took). When at the top, we walked over to Maclears Beacon, and that extra stretch set the seal on a great day out. If you're reasonably fit, and a little adventurous, bin the cable car and hike up to the top yourself. It will turn a good day out into one that is so special you'll remember it for the rest of your life.

2  Thank GJS_12

Reviewed 21 February 2012

I walked up Skeleton Gorge - lovely hike. We went at a nice gentle pace to accommodate all levels. And Margaret even supplies you with a couple of tasty, healthy snacks.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

We booked this due to the TA reviews and it was a great day, if you can forgive the early start, we were picked up at 7am it's worth it! Margaret wasn't available so we had Robin who was lovely. Real sense of achievement and you do actually have to scramble up some parts. Expensive but worth doing

1  Thank lifeisshort82
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Table Mountain is must for visitors to Cape Town, and climbing it is the best way to do it. It is certainly possible to do it without a guide, but It is a far better plan to use a reputable leader, who can get you up and down safely whilst giving an interesting perspective on local plants, wildlife and scenery. Margaret, our guide, was exceptional. She picked us up and dropped us back at our hotel, advised on the best time to avoid the worst of the heat and led us on a great walk via skeleton gorge. For around fifty quid a person, this is great value. just do it!

Reviewed 17 February 2012

If you want to climb Table Mountain you have to do it with Margret. She is experience, efficient, reliable and will tell you everything you need to know about the nature. Book the hike that lasts at least 3 hours to get the real feeling of SA beauty. Will do it again!