“Tum Yum the best!!!!”

Ranked #116 of 1 233 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Haiku concept is exotic Asian cuisine. Chinese dim sum, wok and barbeque; Japanese robata grills and sushi, served tapas-style, are some of the dishes to be shared and enjoyed in a stylish setting.DescriptionThe Haiku concept is exotic Asian cuisine. Chinese dim sum, wok and barbeque; Japanese robata grill and sushi, served tapas-style, are some of the dishes to be shared and enjoyed in a stylish setting.The restaurant interior features a state-of-the-art open kitchen where diners can watch food being artfully prepared by a group of talented, professional chefs. The restaurant exudes trendy sophistication, with walls and floors of beautifully polished granite.
Reviewed 19 January 2017

We were lucky enough to eat here without a reservation. The food and service were great and we will definitely be back again on our next visit to Cape Town.

Hello Darravl,

Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to post such a wonderful review about Haiku. We are glad you enjoyed your time at our restaurant. We hope to see you soon again so you can try the rest of our menu, don’t forget to spread the word about Haiku, we are always looking to share the Haiku experience with new people. Have you liked our Facebook and Instagram pages? We'd really appreciate it!

Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

I have never had a bad meal at Haiku. And I will never go back.

After making a reservation more than a month in advance, I called early on the day to say that we were going to be four people, and not six, as per my original booking - as it is high season, I thought it was the correct thing to do, and the day-time manager thanked me for letting them know. Our reservation was for 20.00.

We arrived on time, and - without greeting us and in the most arrogant tone of voice - the front-desk manager demanded who we were and what time our reservation was for. He looked at his list and rudely told us there was no booking under our name or time - and then accused us of lying by saying that we couldn't possibly have a reservation for 20.00, as they have two seatings, at 19.00 and 21.00.

We showed him on our telephone that we had called earlier that day to confirm that we were going to be a table of four and not six. To which he arrogantly responded that, even if we had called as we say we did, the booking manager should never have allowed us a table at 20.00.

By this time, I was ready to walk out, had it not been that we were taking friends from Johannesburg for dinner, planned weeks in advance.

We were then (reluctantly) pointed to the worst possible table, right next to the reception area.

I felt humiliated, then embarrassed and then very angry at the arrogant attitude of the manager, accusing us of lying and treating us like he was granting us a huge favour by "still allowing us to eat at his restaurant".

R 1 000 a head later - after a few dishes of (admittedly) delicious Asian tapa's (I cannot fault the food, other than the outrageous prices) - I promised myself I would never go anywhere near this place again.

Catch a wake-up, Haiku... you cannot charge international prices and deliver this kind of service. It is not acceptable, ever. Even people who can afford to eat at expensive places, expect to be treated with respect. Lose the attitude. You WILL lose your loyal customers who support you during the quiet winter months, and eventually the visitors during season. There are plenty of very good alternatives opening up all over the city.

Sorry our relationship had to end like this. It's definitely you, not me.

2  Thank 85geev

Dear 85geev,

We would like to sincerely apologize for your experience at our restaurant. These are not the usual standard of service we want to deliver to our customer as we always strive to make our customers feel welcome and well cared for during their meal. We hope we can make it up to you if you ever decide on coming back to have a meal with us.

Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

Managed to get a table without booking and it was our fourth visit. This place has something for everyone and is not just a sushi place. Honey chicken and salt and pepper squid were excellent and we will come back.

Hello Flicka43London,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about Haiku. We are glad you enjoyed your time at our restaurant. We always strive to keep standards of excellence so our customers have a memorable experience! We hope to see you soon again so you can try the rest of our menu, don’t forget to spread the word about Haiku, we are always looking to share the Haiku experience with new people. Have you liked our Facebook and Instagram pages? We'd really appreciate it!

Reviewed 9 January 2017

Every year I choose this restaurant as the special place for my birthday. I love the food and the staff are always friendly. I can't wait to go back again.

Dear Shelley A,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about Haiku. We are glad that we are your first choice when it comes to celebrating such an important occasion such as your birthday. We always strive to keep standards of excellence so our customers have a memorable experience! We can't wait to have you back again so you can try the rest of our menu, don’t forget to spread the word about Haiku, we are always looking to share the Haiku experience with new people. Have you liked our Facebook and Instagram pages? We'd really appreciate it!

Reviewed 7 January 2017 via mobile

We have supported this restaurant for so many years. I booked for a group of us to eat, then phoned them when we were running late to confirm a later time. This was confirmed. We arrived and we're informed our table given away and they were now full. No alternative proposal. Maitre d said " you may have phoned but you didn't talk to ME"
Poor show. Bad attitude.

1  Thank Noashcloudplease

Dear Noashcloudplease,

We would like to sincerely apologize about the experience you've had at our restaurant. This is not the usual standard we want to provide to our customers. We hope we can make it up to you if you decide to have a meal with us in the future, we'd love to have you back with us.