“Fab traditional restaurant at the waterfront”
Review of Karibu

Karibu
Ranked #39 of 1 207 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: African, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a Truly South African Restaurant situated in the World Class V & A Waterfront. We serve traditional unpretentious good South African cuisine to international guests and locals alike.
Reviewed 2 November 2017

We came here on our first night in CT on recommendation from the hotel - and we weren't disappointed! The children wanted to eat somewhere traditional and they shared the Game meat platter and lamb ribs after the waiter recommended it! They had never tried Ostritch/Springbok to name a few - but didn't complain! Service and atmosphere was great - we sat outside enjoying the last of the sun and the views of the Waterfront. Great restaurant if you want to try SA food!

Write a ReviewReviews (1 733)

164 - 168 of 1 733 reviews

Reviewed 2 November 2017

My friends and I came to the V&A for dinner and we were surprised with this place. Thandie, our waiter, was extremely polite and attentive, giving us great suggestions on what to eat and drink. The food was top quality, everyone was satisfied with that. The restaurant was bright, modern and lovely decorated. We came out very happy. Thanks Karibu and Thandie!

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

Karibu is a restaurant we'd often walked past, always dismissing it as a tourist destination rather than a culinary experience. How very wrong we were!

My girlfriend and I, very impromptly decided to try out Karibu after work on a wednesday evening. We received a very friendly greeting from the front of house and immediately felt very welcome.

As soon as we were seated and comfortable Nigel, our waiter for the eveningng came to introduce himself.

I was very impressed by Karibu's very extensive, and well selected wine list. I was very disappointed when Nigel informed me they no longer serve our own Bain's South African whisky. I settled for Van Rhyn's brandy which was beautifully presented in a exquisite cognac glass.

Nigel was very informative, professional, friendly and tactful. We thoroughly enjoyed his visits to our table, and at the same time still felt we had a intimate dinner together.

At Nigel's suggestion my girlfriend had the Springbok shank, and I had the Denningsvleis bredie.

The food was excellent! The springbok shank was very aromatic, fragrant and the meat was soft and tender. Not dry at all. The accompanying red wine sauce was a very fitting and well balanced sauce and the side of mashed potatoes finished off the dish.

My Denningsvleis lamb bredie was also a culinary sensation. The lamb was cooked to perfection. The spices were in typical cape style, abundant, but perfectly balanced. The individual flavours worked in synergy. Fresh coriander leaves gave the dish a fresh touch and further made it feel like truly Cape Town. It was served with yellow rice which was rather bland compared to basmati, but still went well with the dish as a whole. I felt the portions were very generous.

Nigel offered us some dessert and recommended the Caramel Kiss cocktail, which he also showcased for us. It looked and sounded divine, and we'll definitely save some room for dessert on our next visit.

Thank you to everyone at Karibu for making our very impromptu, unplanned dinner a romantic evening to remember!

-Japie Kruger

Reviewed 1 November 2017

This was our first meal in Cape Town and it spoilt us for the rest of the trip. We were welcomed warmly by all the staff but particularly well looked after by Nigel who was warm, friendly, engaging, knowledgable and so very professional.
The food was outstanding, for two of us we chose to order 5 starters to try and not one failed our expectations! When we thought we were full after their lovely rasta (Nigel's words) Sommelier recommended a beautiful local Pinotage and several more beers. Nigel talked us into the Karibu Kiss - this cannot be put into words the decadence, yumminess and I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have this in my life! It's still a highlight of our 10 day trip to South Africa. Thank you Nigel and Karibu for a fantastic experience.

Reviewed 31 October 2017

We came here for diner as part of our honeymoon trip. Lisa looked after us, ensuring we had full glasses and stomachs!.
She explained in detail the dishes that we weren't familiar with and gave fantastic recommendations on wine pairings with our meals.
she was always smiling and regularly checked if we needed anything.
The food was lovely- my lamb shank fell off the bone and melted in the mouth- compliments to the chefs and waiting staff that were working so hard.