“Simply excellent”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 November 2017

Nice place not too far from the center. We did not reserve a table and therefore ate at the bar. Service very attentive and excellent food (impala carpaccio, Kingklip Cajun style with Cinnamon Couscous, cake and a great pinotage). Plates are well presented and the owner is a nice and very competent lady who takes great care of her customers. Definitely worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 982)

164 - 168 of 1 982 reviews

Reviewed 9 November 2017

The fish is very fresh and well prepared. A nice wine selection. The staff is very friendly and professional. The place is very popular, so it is a good idea to make a reservation. Overall, an excellent experience, and highly recommended!

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Visit 1 – Our first night

This restaurant was recommended to us as one of the best fish restaurants in Cape Town. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and shown to our table. They have a fantastic range of wines on offer and wow what a menu. I opted for a bottle of the Paul Cluver which was stunning. There were so many things that I loved on offer. Whilst we perused the menu we were given some lovely bread and black olive tapenade to keep hunger at bay. Hmm delicious.

To start I opted for the Fish Soup and Phil went for the Springbok Carpaccio with rocket, parmesan and a clove spiced port, balsamic and sour cherry reduction. It was a nice fish soup and the fish was cooked very well but it wasn’t the nicest one I have ever had, it lacked a depth of flavour. The Carpaccio was delicious and very beautifully presented.

For the main I’m afraid gluttony came into play. I went for the Chilli con Pesce whilst Phil opted for the Kingklip, Cajun style with rice. The Chilli was huge and really delicious but I couldn’t taste the fish. My fault really, it’s probably not the kind of dish you chose if you want to actually taste fish. Phil was over the moon with his choice. He’s not a big fish eater but he was so happy with his and he would have eaten more of it if he could.

Needless to say I was as fat as a pig and couldn’t fit another morsel in. Phil finished his dinner off with a slice of Mississippi Mud Pie…… I may have had a spoonful. It was very decadent, rich and smooth.

The service here is amazing. Your wine glass is constantly topped up. You’re given great advice regarding the food on offer to help you try and make the best choice possible. This was especially helpful give that we were not familiar with all of the types of fish on offer.

Visit 2 – our last night in Cape Town

So it was our last night in Cape Town and I couldn’t help feeling like I had made the wrong choice in respect of the dishes I had chosen on the first night. I’m not saying they weren’t nice they just weren’t what I was craving. It was such a lovely restaurant so we decided to go back and I’m so so so happy we did. This time I knew what I wanted!

To start I went for West Coast Oysters, nine to be exact. They were so fresh and juicy. Phil went for Kalamari Cajun style. Lovely tender tubes served with rice.

For our main Phil stuck to fish and went for the Dorado Cajun style with Rice. Eeeek I was over the moon with my Kingkilp Malay style with Wok fried vegetables. It was delicious plus plus. The fish was cooked to perfection, the vegetables had just the right amount of crunch and the Malay sauce…..there are no words. This was the meal I had been waiting for and it was incredible.

As it was our last night I decided to have a pudding…..not just any pudding, a warm pecan tart with ice cream. You could smell it before you could see it, it was divine. Phil went for the fridge set cheesecake with berry coulis. I couldn’t tell you what his was like because I was too busy devouring my own.

Hands down I would definitely recommend this restaurant. The service is outstanding and the food is really delicious. I’m so happy we decided to go back.

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

Arrived in Cape Town today and our guest house recommend Miller's Thumb for dinner. It will not disappoint !
We had mussels and calamari each to start. The calamari was so tender.
When it came to mains we had the King Clip and the Bluenose. Not being used to these fish it was great to be expertly talked through each fish on the menu, and these did not disappoint, quite simply the best fish we have ever had !! Would recommend here if you are visiting Cape Town.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

We went to Millers Thumb on the first evening of our stay in Cape Town and enjoyed it very much. The welcome was warm, and we particularly enjoyed this early opportunity to try some different S. African wines by the glass from their blackboard list.

I started with their much lauded tomato soup, which was very good, although my husband found his portion of chicken livers too large and rather grainy. We both had tuna with sauces from the blackboard for our main course and here we learned that in S. Africa 'rare' tuna is more like a UK 'medium'; we should have asked for it 'seared'. The generous portions of fish were fresh and the sauces unusual.

We had no room for dessert, and possibly because we came early in the evening found the service a bit quicker than we would have liked - although very friendly and helpful -and our meal finished and the bill in front of us in less than an hour and a half. The restaurant was full when we left, obviously very popular, and well worth visiting