“Anniversary dinner”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

husband and wife team. She welcomed and explains menu. My husband has serious food allergies and my daughter in law is vegan. My husband was well catered for and the only vegan option of a Thai type veg stirfry was very nice. That is the only vegan meal in menu. Atmosphere friendly and decor eclectic. Not really contemporary eclectic but the food was excellent. A fun evening and full of locals.

Reviews (1 792)

361 - 365 of 1 792 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2016

This review is written from the perspective of an ex-employee. 'Ex' you say? And I say: 'By circumstance, not choice!' I could work for Solly and Jane (the cheerful proprietors of this establishment – Solly being the chef; Jane being the charmer) for many moons to come. Alas, I have an incurable case of wanderlust and I'm off on a new adventure.

There are two sides of this 'review' coin. Firstly, I would like to give you some insight into what not only makes this restaurant a great place to eat, but a great place to work, which subsequently makes it an even better place to eat. Trust me. It's an experience!
I have worked in the hospitality industry for a long time. Usually part-time either as a waitress or bartender with the purpose of supplementing my income. Most of the time you work like a dog, you get treated like crap and you ask yourself after every shift: 'Is it really worth it?'
This is not the case at Miller's. We are a little family with Jane & Solly being the 'cool' parents some of us never had. We work hard, we love to play and they provide the perfect balance of structure and freedom to be ourselves. When you come to this establishment, expect to find serving staff who have a passion for food (and most of us have a passion for wine too!) with spunky personalities and can actually give you an educated recommendation of what to eat and drink.

As for the other side of the coin, some might say: 'Pah... I don't trust this happy little waitress who's trying to obviously win favour with her ex-employees so they'll give her an outstanding reference.' All I can say is, you will eat your words!
I have used Tripadvisor many times in my travels to discover restaurants that were 'off the beaten track'. Places where the locals go and get treated like gold. Miller's Thumb is such a place. If you really want to experience the warmth and hospitality of Cape Town, then you have to visit this restaurant. It's not fine dining. It's not fancy. But you WILL have a fun, cheerful evening and leave with your senses well satisfied. In fact, you will probably want to come again. In essence, I'm doing you the hugest favour by writing this review!

Reviewed 24 June 2016

Going to this restaurant will make you feel like you are part of the family. Whether a group of friends or a romantic date, you can't go wrong with Millers Thumb. Best service in Cape Town and the best fish menu too (with lots of other options if you don't like fish). Hard to beat.

Reviewed 22 June 2016

If you like good seafood try Miller's Thumb. You get to pick your fish and how it's cooked too - I went here 3 times and the cajun fish is awesome. Fish soup was also great - as was the calamari. Will be coming back next time I visit CT

Reviewed 21 June 2016

A fun place, relaxed with great atmosphere. Jane is a force of nature and the chef a man of talent; the food is great. We return whenever we are in cape Town, especially with people new to the City