SunSquare Cape Town City Bowl
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
StayEasy Cape Town City Bowl(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
Cape Heritage Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
Strand Tower Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
View Hotel
Grand Daddy Hotel(Cape Town Central)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Southern Sun Cape Sun(Cape Town Central)
  • Pool
De Waterkant Village(Cape Town Central)
  • Pool
All reviewsrooftop barverve restaurantinspired menutsogo sun hotelsun squarerecommend this hotelspacious bathroomfamily holidayhotel experiencebusiness hotelhotel is centrally locatedrooms are nicebreakfast was excellentreception areasmall poolenjoyable stayper night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

I have had better family holidays with Southern Sun but this Sun Square needs to improve. The front desk staff do not know that loyalty status counts as you are a regular visitor. I had to ask for a better room and was told they do first come first serve basis when they have a loyalty program with Gold, Platinum and Black. So these status count for nothing in room allocation. In the room, the chair and basin had human hair as if they were not cleaned. I know there is severe water crisis in Cape Town currently but that does not justify poor cleaning and hygiene. The housekeeping was not great with limited shampoo which I had to phone and ask for as well as the complimentary bottled water. As if they would learn from that, no. There was no shampoo or complimentary bottled water for the next 2 days after I had asked. My family felt shortchanged by me and the hotel on their once a year in Cape Town holiday.

For a new hotel it is disappointing and needs to jack up to get local travelers to recommend it

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Well, you can't fault the location with easy walking of the central bowl and accessible parking. Not sure that Tsogosun has quite identified its market yet but certainly modern, trendy and comfortable.
The wrap-around roof deck, bar and small pool have great views and service is very good.
Reception is helpful and duty managers Thobeka and Marvin do a brilliant job especially with the teething problems of a new opening.
The V&V restaurant overlooks three of the city's oldest buildings and while breakfast can be a bunfight the overall quality is satisfying.
Room service was slow to non-existent but essentially its just a Travelodge - so come prepared!
For those who like to sleep with the window open beware the Lutheran church clock which chimes every quarter and the call to early prayers from BoKaap.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Deidre S, Manager at SunSquare Cape Town City Bowl, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and created great memories.
Your comments about the staff are truly appreciated.

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the SunSquare Cape Town City Bowl and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

The service is what matters to me. The staff was very friendly and they kept on offering to help. The room was neat, breakfast was the best. It was beyong my expectations and definitely come back very soon.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I am really unimpressed with how we were treated. I made a booking in June to come and experience the newest addition to Tsogo Sun. I wanted to come for my birthday on the 28th of September & lounge at your rooftop bar and then nip down to the restaurant for dinner before retiring for the night. This was our planning since June, so I made no other arrangements for the day. When we arrived we were informed that both the rooftop bar and the restaurant is off limits for guests not part of some media group. We complained to the manager where we got a "sorry, you can go home and come another day"... which does not help me as I made all the effort to be there on that day.
Since we had planned on staying in the hotel mainly we made no other plans to travel around town, we didn't book any lunch or dinner and didn't dress appropriately to be hiking around the city! We were forced to make other arrangements, including extra expenses for Uber after getting blisters on my feet due to being forced to hike around town in inappropriate shoes. The hotel basically indirectly told us we needed to stay in our room or leave the hotel as all their public areas were "closed for the media event". EVERY single one of the other hotels I ever stayed at ensure that they cater for their GUESTS first. You cannot advertise your hotel and services and then not offer ANY of it. The bar remained closed on the 29th & room service was suspended, so we couldn't even spend the next day there. What was I doing there!? We were not informed of this, a simple email and I would not have come on that day or made other arrangements. I was so looking forward to my day there but you have managed to spoil a long planned for day!! I cant review the hotel because I wast allowed to actually see most if it!

Your staff also need training. The next morning at breakfast, while we were fetching our food, the hostess decided to randomly seat strangers AT our breakfast table because "we we only 2 covers and the table can seat 4". The floor manager however managed to move the tables to make separate tables but really.... in what universe is it okay to just seat strangers at your table before even ASKING!?

The good things:
Decor in the rooms are nice
Breakfast was really good. The average buffet but everything was tasty.
The manager sent us a bottle of bubbly to our room to apologies for their shortcomings, this however does not change the fact that they were incompetent.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Deidre S, Manager at SunSquare Cape Town City Bowl, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the review on your stay with us, as we do value all constructive feedback in order to improve on our service.

Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused during your stay.
We are also pleased to note that you enjoyed the decor and breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 2 October 2017

The overall experience was above average. The only issue we had was when we left our car key the afternoon before checkout at the rooftop pool and the staff at reception was not urgent in helping us the following morning to determine if the staff knew where the key was. They only phoned us the following afternoon to infrom us that the supervisor of the rooftop bar had kept the key in the bar from the previous night. That was after we organised a rental car and for the spare key to be couriered to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the review on your stay with as we value all feedback on improving our service delivery.

We would like to apologise for the lapse in service delivery offered from the reception as well as the bar, I can assure you that it has been addressed the urgency of guest satisfaction and service delivery.
We are pleased to note that you did enjoy the rest of your stay with us and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.