“Such a Gem”

SunSquare Cape Town City Bowl
Ranked #64 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 5 October 2017

Situated in the heart of Cape Town and walking distance to Long street and other great vibe streets and a stones throw to V & A Waterfront. As a new Hotel we were delighted with all on offer. There's a great restaurant on ground floor which has awesome breakfast . Hopefully I can return one day

Room Tip: go for 10th floor and above
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

I have had better family holidays with Southern Sun but this Sun Square needs to improve. The front desk staff do not know that loyalty status counts as you are a regular visitor. I had to ask for a better room and was told they do first come first serve basis when they have a loyalty program with Gold, Platinum and Black. So these status count for nothing in room allocation. In the room, the chair and basin had human hair as if they were not cleaned. I know there is severe water crisis in Cape Town currently but that does not justify poor cleaning and hygiene. The housekeeping was not great with limited shampoo which I had to phone and ask for as well as the complimentary bottled water. As if they would learn from that, no. There was no shampoo or complimentary bottled water for the next 2 days after I had asked. My family felt shortchanged by me and the hotel on their once a year in Cape Town holiday.

For a new hotel it is disappointing and needs to jack up to get local travelers to recommend it

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Well, you can't fault the location with easy walking of the central bowl and accessible parking. Not sure that Tsogosun has quite identified its market yet but certainly modern, trendy and comfortable.
The wrap-around roof deck, bar and small pool have great views and service is very good.
Reception is helpful and duty managers Thobeka and Marvin do a brilliant job especially with the teething problems of a new opening.
The V&V restaurant overlooks three of the city's oldest buildings and while breakfast can be a bunfight the overall quality is satisfying.
Room service was slow to non-existent but essentially its just a Travelodge - so come prepared!
For those who like to sleep with the window open beware the Lutheran church clock which chimes every quarter and the call to early prayers from BoKaap.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Deidre S, Manager at SunSquare Cape Town City Bowl, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations and created great memories.
Your comments about the staff are truly appreciated.

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the SunSquare Cape Town City Bowl and look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 2 October 2017

The service is what matters to me. The staff was very friendly and they kept on offering to help. The room was neat, breakfast was the best. It was beyong my expectations and definitely come back very soon.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on your stay with us.

Kind regards
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I am really unimpressed with how we were treated. I made a booking in June to come and experience the newest addition to Tsogo Sun. I wanted to come for my birthday on the 28th of September & lounge at your rooftop bar and then nip down to the restaurant for dinner before retiring for the night. This was our planning since June, so I made no other arrangements for the day. When we arrived we were informed that both the rooftop bar and the restaurant is off limits for guests not part of some media group. We complained to the manager where we got a "sorry, you can go home and come another day"... which does not help me as I made all the effort to be there on that day.
Since we had planned on staying in the hotel mainly we made no other plans to travel around town, we didn't book any lunch or dinner and didn't dress appropriately to be hiking around the city! We were forced to make other arrangements, including extra expenses for Uber after getting blisters on my feet due to being forced to hike around town in inappropriate shoes. The hotel basically indirectly told us we needed to stay in our room or leave the hotel as all their public areas were "closed for the media event". EVERY single one of the other hotels I ever stayed at ensure that they cater for their GUESTS first. You cannot advertise your hotel and services and then not offer ANY of it. The bar remained closed on the 29th & room service was suspended, so we couldn't even spend the next day there. What was I doing there!? We were not informed of this, a simple email and I would not have come on that day or made other arrangements. I was so looking forward to my day there but you have managed to spoil a long planned for day!! I cant review the hotel because I wast allowed to actually see most if it!

Your staff also need training. The next morning at breakfast, while we were fetching our food, the hostess decided to randomly seat strangers AT our breakfast table because "we we only 2 covers and the table can seat 4". The floor manager however managed to move the tables to make separate tables but really.... in what universe is it okay to just seat strangers at your table before even ASKING!?

The good things:
Decor in the rooms are nice
Breakfast was really good. The average buffet but everything was tasty.
The manager sent us a bottle of bubbly to our room to apologies for their shortcomings, this however does not change the fact that they were incompetent.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels
Deidre S, Manager at SunSquare Cape Town City Bowl, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for the review on your stay with us, as we do value all constructive feedback in order to improve on our service.

Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconvenience caused during your stay.
We are also pleased to note that you enjoyed the decor and breakfast.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Kind Regards