“Best Pork Ribs in Cape Town”
Review of City Grill

City Grill
Ranked #103 of 1 228 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999, the City Grill is the oldest steakhouse in the V&A Waterfront. We invite you to discover a truly South African experience… so gather family and friends for a feast of flavour at the City Grill! A place where food has substance, big appetites are essential and South Africa is the flavour of the month, every month!
Reviewed 19 July 2015

I enjoyed a great meal of pork ribs at the City Grill on the Watwrfront and, having eaten at several other Cape Town restaurants, they were the best I have tasted. The waiter was very attentive and his recommendation of a glass of Durbanville Hills Sauvignon Blanc was spot on! I was even given a complimentary glass of sherry as an aperitif. I followed up with some ice cream with chocolate sauce and a proper Irish Coffee made with Jamesons! Other restaurants take note...... Don't put scotch whisky in a Irish coffee!
I will certainly go to the City Grill when I next visit the Waterfront.

barrynieuwoudtcg, Public Relations Manager at City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2015

Hi

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the experience at our restaurant. Hope to see you again soon.

Regards
Barry

Write a ReviewReviews (1 130)

404 - 408 of 1 130 reviews

Reviewed 16 July 2015

Not as noisy as other waterfront restaurants, and a great steak! The venue is cleverly appointed and makes for a relaxed and secluded experience.

Reviewed 11 July 2015 via mobile

Stunning Afro-Chic interior with inside & outside seating. Great selection of Game meats on offer. I sampled the ostrich kebab & succulent Springbok Steak and was pleasantly surprised. Very tasty house wine, love Leopards Leap Pinotage. Attentive service! Caters for kids & veggies too...if you're in the V&A do drop in and get your biltong to go!

1  Thank TheJaxBlog
Reviewed 29 June 2015

I visited at about 3:30 pm on Sunday - so not busy and we "should" have got great service.

First problem was the waiter telling my partner that they ONLY way they sell water was in 1 lt bottles - rip off we thought but ordered anyway - later in the meal we saw couple next to us ordering 250 ml water???

I ordered one of their signature steak dishes "Old Man Steak" - my partner the 250 gm plain rump - cost difference was R80 and I was surprised when my steak was about half the size of the plain one - when I queried this with the waiter I was assured this was correct - after querying with manager he apologized profusely and agreed I had been given the wrong size steak…

While we were waiting for food to arrive I asked if there was any bread served to the table and was informed that it was an "extra" that had to paid for???

When the food arrived - BTW you ONLY get steak and starch – so we had ordered extra veg - which did not arrive - once again the waiter had to go back and it eventually arrived ...when we had just about finished our steaks....

As a final (small) issue – when we asked for the bill – it took about 10 mins ….why does it take this length of time to walk to the till and press print button …sigh

So pretty much a nice pleasant Sunday lunch at V&A was a disaster…to be fair they took my steak off the bill …but if I had wanted a cheap meal I would have gone to Steers

Quite often V&A restaurants (i.e. big tourist places) actually surprise locals by offering real value for money …in this case I felt this place was trading on its position and “reputation”

Reviewed 28 June 2015 via mobile

Great value and very efficient service! Even though it was cold the heaters and planets provided warmth. Most definitely be back!