“Spectacular food”
Review of Thali

Thali
Ranked #7 of 1 253 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 5 February 2018

Now this was a food experience.

It's an interesting concept - a four course menu for two to share at R700. There is a vegetarian version, a pescatarian version and an all inclusive version, which is what we had.

I should have made notes, but I was so caught up in the meal that I forgot - sorry

OK, all in all, the food is spectacular. They manage to create incredible combinations of taste, aroma and presentation, that just thrill the senses.

There was a popadom with potato and pomegranate to start with. Was that the one with the superb tamarind sauce? I think so. That dipping sauce was divine.

There was a three way version of cauliflower, delicious roasted florets, with little "blobs" of cauliflower mousse and I think the third version were finely chopped spiced pieces. There were cashews in as well, giving a contracting crunch to the different cauliflower flavours. Anyway, it was visually gorgeous and a real treat on the palette.

By the way none of the dishes is overly spicy. Don't think that makes them mild and bland. On the contrary, they are some of the most delicious Indian dishes I have ever tasted.

One course comes in a mini smoking tandoor (for visual effect) but in fact it tasted like pretty standard lamb and chicken. They were fine, but paled in comparison to the flavour complexity of the other dishes. A touch disappointing.

There was also a course of two, wet curry dishes. A chicken and a lamb curry. The lamb curry was once again divine. Subtle, mouth watering flavours. But the chicken was swamped s much in a dark green sauce (I assume it was coriander) that it totally overpowered the flavour of the meat and it was hard to tell at all that it was chicken. So one was great the other was less so.

A kingklip with rice dish came that I remember being astonished at - its not easy to cook perfect fish in spices - buy they did it here.

People - if you love food, trey this place out. Take your time. We went at 12 when it opened as we heard it was difficult to get in (they don't take bookings), but it was pretty empty even when we left two hours later. I think it's crazily busy at night though and I imagine its a buzzy, vibey place then.

The service was good, but not as spectacular as the food. Could be a little slicker.

All in all, a great experience. Though I'd think twice about paying for it myself at R700 for 2. (Ours was a work lunch!)

Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

No reservation necessary which is great... the whole team was fantastic from the hostess to all the waiters.. and the food was stunning. Provably the best food we had in CPT... thank you!!

Reviewed 1 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I absolutely love Indian cuisine which we eat on a regular basis. The 4 course taster meal we had at Thali was one of the best we have ever had!! Everything from the spices, flavours, presentation and service was excellent. We couldn’t recommend this place enough but just bear in mind that if it is a quick standard Indian meal you want this isn’t the place for you, however, if you want innovative, unique and delicious tasting Indian tapas then step right up!

Reviewed 29 January 2018 via mobile

Had the tapas for 2 with my fiancé . Different courses eaten over a few hours. Great service and dealt with my egg allergy very well! Highly recommend , very tasty food . Best Indian food for a long time

Reviewed 26 January 2018

Great service and excellent food!!
Comes in 4 courses and is designed for 2 to share
Great wine list
Would definitely do again!!!
Great wifi to allow us to check in for our flight home!