“Don’t be odd....”
Review of Thali

Thali
Ranked #6 of 1 226 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

We opted for the vegetarian menu at Thali and thoroughly enjoyed it. The awkward thing is that the menu is for 2 people only so as a group of 3 we had to decide whether we ordered for 2 or 4...we went for 4 which was too much food (though can confirm that it tastes great the next day!).

In summary, the food is delicious (though not Thali as I know it) but make sure there are either an even number of you or that you are ravenous.

1  Thank Kayleigh F

Reviewed 4 December 2017

This was a treat/celebration and Thali delivered a wonderful experience. The food was excellent, the service was very good. Wine was reasonably priced and there was a fair amount of theatre with smoke from the tandoori oven billowing out from the kitchen. If you like Indian food you will love Thali.

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

As with the others of Chefs Warehouse’s collection...Thali was brilliant!!! The dishes were rich with flavors and each very distinct. The Tapas style for 2 makes for a very sociable experience and the overall ambiance was lively. Great service. I am big fan of Indian cuisine, truly hot Indian cuisine, I would consider Thali as Indian inspired fine dining, not really Indian. The very hot Indian spices are not there, understandably for the general crowd, but it is special in its own way. And I did not feel wholly stuffed like I usually would at an Indian restaurant, which is a plus. Very different tapas experience. Thumbs up for the concept.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

I enjoy Indian food and eat it in every city I visit. For comparison I have eaten in some very good Inidians in London such as Benares etc but Thali is probably better in food quality, but with a much more limited range of dishes.

But all of the dishes I had there were exquisite!

I went there for dinner and returned the next day for lunch - both meals excellent!

The Indian bread served was vey light - I normally hate bread but had never had anything like this before and enjoyed it tremendously.

The dhal was perfect/unique but the best I've ever had - it was not at all runny and had a unique taste and texture and a clear yellow colour.

Service is friendly and efficient.

As Cape Town restaurants go it is not cheap, but form European point of view it is very good value for the quality offered!

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

As another reviewer has already pointed out, there is no thali on the menu. Weird, because a series of small dishes does not a thali make. It's rather like an Indian tapas restaurant with a whole lot of small dishes which you share (or not) in a vegetarian or carnivorous style. But the dishes are beautifully created, flavoursome and imaginative... Heat in chilies but not in temperature.

Service is prompt and efficient, no BYO and no bookings. With their dreadful wine list, I am surprised that BYO is outlawed.